Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough
Default Exetel doesn't work as a voip provider...

What exactly is requried for a VSP for their product to work with voxalot?

I have a few VSPs setup fine, but Exetel is one that doesn't work.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
Mallycat

Mallycat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity

The provider has to have a SIP Code registered. I have just done a search at SIP Broker white pages http://sipbroker.com/sipbroker/actio...iderWhitePages and Exetel is not listed. I therefore guess it won't work for them.

Matt
Mallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Most VoIP providers that you can set up on your own ATA or SIP phone should work with VoXaLot. There are some, however, that require a SIP registration to make a call. Currently, VoXaLot doesn't establish a SIP registration with a provider. Instead, it make calls via authenticated SIP URI's. If calls through Exetel via VoXaLot work whenever you have an ATA registered with then but not otherwise, Exetel may be one of the more restrictive providers. Workarounds for this situation as well as actual SIP registration capabilites are being considered for future VoXaLot enhancements.

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallycat
The provider has to have a SIP Code registered. I have just done a search at SIP Broker white pages http://sipbroker.com/sipbroker/actio...iderWhitePages and Exetel is not listed. I therefore guess it won't work for them.

Matt
Peering with Sip Broker is not a requirement in order for a VoIP provider to work with VoXaLot. It does open the door to better ways to reach people at no cost, however.

Ron
Unread 04-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
affinity

I tried Exetel whilst registered and whilst not registered -- it made no difference.
Unread 04-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Ron

Quote:
I tried Exetel whilst registered and whilst not registered -- it made no difference.
Maybe they don't accept authenticated URI's under any conditions.
Unread 04-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
affinity

Yes, I have 'registered' their details with my voxalot account -- I know the username, phone number and server IP [they use server IP and not a hostname]. So, you might be spot on there.
Unread 04-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
Ron

Quote:
Yes, I have 'registered' their details with my voxalot account -- I know the username, phone number and server IP [they use server IP and not a hostname]. So, you might be spot on there.
By SIP registration, I meant having an ATA physically and logically connected with the provider. A SIP device is said to be 'registered' with the provider when it is in a connected state ready to make and receive calls. VoXaLot does NOT register with providers (at the moment, at least).
Unread 04-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
Nathanc

Nathanc is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be surprised if exetel's SIP service is unreachable from outside the exetel network; since as far as I understand exetels VoIP is for its own customers. Do you think this could be the case? What is the SIP server address?
Nathanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

In order to work with Voxalot, a provider has to meet all these conditions:

1) The provider has to be standards (SIP) complient. Which means that services that don't meet these standards (including the very common "Skype") won't work!

2) If you need to "login" to use the service (vs anyone can call that proxy), then you to have the login info from your provider. Which means that services that only use their own "locked down adapters" won't work.

3) The provider has to either allow anyone in, OR (more common) they have to allow "authenticated INVITES" (accept your login credentials at the time the call made). A minority of providers require you to specify your login info when you "register" (before the call is made), and at the present time they will NOT work with Voxalot. For example, the inability to accept "authenticated INVITES" is currently why VBuzzer isn't working, even though VBuzzer supports all the other requirements.

4) And finally, the provider always has the option to specifically disallow Voxalot. While I'm not aware of any provider that has taken this step, it wouldn't be that hard for a provider to identify calls coming from Voxalot, and simply make then "not work" on their end. So if the provider really doesn't want you to use them with Voxalot (for whatever reason they choose), they can simple prevent their system from accepting calls via Voxalot.

NOTE:
There are probably a few other situations where a provider (that meets the above 4-part test) still wouldn't work with Voxalot. But I suspect the above conditions are the most common reasons why a provider doesn't work.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote