Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 08-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
jonfry

jonfry is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jonfry Send a message via AIM to jonfry Send a message via Yahoo to jonfry Send a message via Skype™ to jonfry
Default Cisco 7940

Hi all,

I've bought myself a Cisco 7940G IP phone from eBay. I'm in the process of working through upgrading the firmware to SIP so I can use it with VoXaLot.

I have the TFTP server set up and working and I've dropped in the new SIP firmware image files.

According to the instructions I'm reading I also need to place a SIPDefault.cnf and/or a SIPmac_address.cnf file into the TFTP server so it's loaded by the phone.

There's many examples of these files on various web sites but each example I look at differs greatly from the next to such a point as I'm not sure what I should have in each file and what I shouldn't.

Does anybody have a Cisco 7940 or 7960 working with VoXaLot who would be kind enough to copy the contents of their .cnf files into here (with their own details XXXXX'd out!) so I have something constructive to work with?

Any help would be appreciated. This is a new challenge and I'm determined the phone's not going to win!

Thanks,
Jon
jonfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Can't you do the firmware update first, then configure the phone later? I am not familiar with the 7940G, but I never heard of any device that requires default settings to be changed through configuration files in order to load firmware.

Does the phone have a web interface for configuration?
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
jonfry

Send a message via ICQ to jonfry Send a message via AIM to jonfry Send a message via Yahoo to jonfry Send a message via Skype™ to jonfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Can't you do the firmware update first, then configure the phone later? I am not familiar with the 7940G, but I never heard of any device that requires default settings to be changed through configuration files in order to load firmware.

Does the phone have a web interface for configuration?
It's a Cisco phone, it's the way it's done with them unfortunately.

I've updated the firmware overnight using a temporary SIPDefault.cnf and a SIPmac_address.cnf but they are nowhere near right and the phone won't make or receive calls.

From doing a forum search I have found a couple of posts relating to Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones but none with template config files and there's nothing relevant on the wiki.
Unread 08-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Someone made a short HowTo document about loading SIP firmware into the cisco ip phones, models 7940 and 7960. He included SIPDefault.cnf and SIPmac_address.cnf for Free World Dialup, very close to what's needed for Voxalot. Although the original site is no longer online, you can see it HERE at web.archive.org.

Here and here are some Google searches that may be helpful.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
jonfry

***UPDATE***

Considering eu.voxalot.com was down yesterday I decided to have a go formatting the .cnf files with settings from both Sipgate and Localphone instead and managed to make some progress.

I already have VoXaLot working on my Nokia N95 so I'm going to leave it that way for now and run my Cisco 7940G with Sipgate and Localphone as both of these provide me with local DID's.

If anybody else buys a 79XX series Cisco IP phone and gets stuck upgrading the firmware from SCCP or MGCP to SIP via a TFTP server then either update this thread (I'm subscribed to it so will receive the email notification) or PM me.

I'm sure there's better VOIP phones on the market but considering this one only cost me £35 GBP (£30 phone, £5 power supply) from eBay and a few hours of messing around I can't complain about either the cost or the quality of the product. If you're into messing like I am then this is an ideal option.