Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 10-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Rico74

Rico74 is on a distinguished road
Question iiNet registration

I've heard that other people have been able to use iiNet VoIP service with Voxalot and I have tried to do the same. Initially, it worked! But subsequently it has been very unreliable. It either works or gives an engaged signal when calling a number. The "providers" page says the iiNet service has been registered. But is that information "live" or is it a status that is only updated every 8 or 24 hours?

I have now taken iiNet off my list of providers, but I would like to add them back on if reliability could be... well... relied upon.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers,
Rico74.
Rico74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
Rico74

Unhappy

Do I have leprosy?
Unread 10-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

We have no test iinet accounts. Hopefully another member that does use them can post some assistance.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
markcs

markcs is on a distinguished road

Hi Rico74,

What server did you use when registering with iinet? did you use inetphone.iinet.net.au or sip.<state>.iinet.net.au ? I have been trying to get registered for the last few days, and it is still in the state 'Not Registered'

Sorry... can't help with your original question though!

Thanks!
markcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
scrag

scrag is on a distinguished road

I am with iiNet and have had no luck!

My iinetphone is registered and active on Voxalot but I am only able to receive calls and not make any calls out.

The reason for this is that iiNet does not allow incoming (inbound) sip calls from other sip providers - if that makes sense!

Have a look at sipbroker and find the gateway number for iiNet and you will find a cross next to it.
scrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Rico74

Thumbs up Apology, solution and penance.

After regretable and undue intemperance on my part, and more importantly a new Voxalot framework release - iiNet registration now works in a stable fashion.

As part of my penance, I humbly submit my settings.

Member Details
Preferred Server (for SIP registrations): voxalot.com.au

Provider List
Description: iiNet
Username: {your 10 digit VoIP number}
Password: {VoIP password} <-- NOTE: This is not your internet access password.
Codecs: alaw;ulaw;g729
Host: 203.55.231.194
Port: 5060
Active: Yes
SIP Register: Yes

Now, contrary to popular opinion, the iiNet supplied wireless VoIP router (the attractively named Belkin F1PI241EGau) can work with Voxalot!
It is not "locked", but if at any time you modify the settings on the "Setup Wizard" page (apart from clicking the "Register" and "Unregister" buttons) it will auto-configure back to the default iiNet settings instead of the Voxalot settings. All settings must only be modified on the "VoIP" page.

Below are the settings I use. I know some of them might be "completely nuts" - but hey, they work for me!

Port Setting - Phone 1
Phone Number: {your 6 digit Voxalot number}
Display Name: {your 6 digit Voxalot number}
SIP Domain: voxalot.com.au
Sip Server: voxalot.com.au
Username: {your 6 digit Voxalot number}
Password: {your Voxalot password}

SIP Setting - SIP Parameters
SIP Listen Port: 5060
Proxy IP: voxalot.com.au
Proxy Port: 5060
Registrar IP: voxalot.com.au
Registrar Port: 5060
Re-Registration Time Interval: 1800

VOIP Advanced Setting
Support Call Waiting: Yes
Caller-ID Presentation: Yes
Support User-Agent Header: Yes
Support Out of Band DTMF: No
Special Dial tone for VOIP call: No
Use strict routing for nonstandard SIP server: No
Start RTP session before receiving ACK: No
Use SRV option for SIP registration: Yes
Use SIP ALG option: No
Call Hold Version: RFC3264
Telephony Hook Flash Timer: 50ms ~ 250ms
Telephony Tone Country Setting: Australia
Codec Rate(G723, G729, G711): 4 times with sample rate
Voice Codec Configuration: G.711 A law, G.711 U law, G.729, G.723.1

Port Advanced Setting - Phone 1
Volume Gain Control: Fixed (Input=4 / Output=-14)
Jitter Buffer Mode: Fixed
Jitter Buffer Delay (ms): 40
Echo Canceller Delay: 32ms
VAD: No
CNG: No
PLC: Yes
Caller ID Mode: No
Inter Digit Delay: 4 Sec.
Additional Ringing Mode: Yes
T.38 Mode: Yes

I hope this helps other attempting to use iiNet with Voxalot.

Thanks to Martin and the rest of the Voxalot team for a wonderful service.

Cheers,
Rico74.
Unread 10-27-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Rico74, i'm sure the community will benefit from your detailed instructions.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:04 AM   #8
Rico74

Question SIP vs RTP path

Quick question for anyone who might know - is the RTP path for a call made through a PSTN terminating VSP different than the SIP path?

I guess what I want to confirm is that RTP traffic does not go through Voxalot and that it basically takes the same path as if your VoIP end-point was directly registered with your VSP.

The reason I am wanting to know is so that I can reasonably assume that I will not be in breach of a part of iiNet's Customer Relationship Agreement which says "you must only use the iiNet VoIP Service at the physical location where we supply your Broadband Service". (FYI, this is at Section B Part 5.5b)

I'm not looking for a legal opinion, just a technical comfirmation that when I make phone calls at home using iiNet as my provider the RTP path is virtually unchanged.

Many Thanks,
Rico74.
Unread 11-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

I'm not an expert on this, so Martin may have to correct me.

I don't believe that VoXaLot is in the RTP (audio) loop during the conversation part of an established call. I believe this is set up to go directly between your ATA and the terminating provider.

The signaling which is done via SIP to establish and control the call, however, will be originating from VoXaLot as if VoXaLot were your ATA. In the strictest sense, I think iiNet could interpret this as your ATA being located at VoXaLot's SIP server location.

I follow VoIP discussions on a couple of forums and have never noticed any comments about a VoIP provider singling anyone out for a TOS violation because of this, but that doesn't mean it hasn't or couldn't happen. Unless iiNet is really out to catch this kind of situation, I doubt anyone will notice or even care, but that's just my own personal opinion.

My guess is that iiNet is mostly concerned that you're not allowing someone else to make use of the VoIP service that you've subscribed to (such as setting up a second VoXaLot extension at another location in order to share your iiNet service with another party).

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2006, 06:03 AM   #10
Rico74

Thumbs up Yep, that's what I thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I don't believe that VoXaLot is in the RTP (audio) loop during the conversation part of an established call. I believe this is set up to go directly between your ATA and the terminating provider.
That's what I thought was the case but I needed to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The signaling which is done via SIP to establish and control the call, however, will be originating from VoXaLot as if VoXaLot were your ATA. In the strictest sense, I think iiNet could interpret this as your ATA being located at VoXaLot's SIP server location.

I follow VoIP discussions on a couple of forums and have never noticed any comments about a VoIP provider singling anyone out for a TOS violation because of this, but that doesn't mean it hasn't or couldn't happen. Unless iiNet is really out to catch this kind of situation, I doubt anyone will notice or even care, but that's just my own personal opinion.

My guess is that iiNet is mostly concerned that you're not allowing someone else to make use of the VoIP service that you've subscribed to (such as setting up a second VoXaLot extension at another location in order to share your iiNet service with another party).

Ron
I guess it might be conceivable that iiNet could smote me for using Voxalot, but since the RTP path is between my ATA and them, I at least have a plausible excuse. That is, I can prove (by referring to the RTP path) that I've "used" their VoIP service at the same "physical location" as where they "supplied the broadband service".

Of course, if I were to use the Web Callback feature of Voxalot the RTP path would be completely different and then iiNet could hang me for high treason or some such.