Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 12-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
shezad

shezad is on a distinguished road
Default make calls without registered

Hi can someone tell me if this is possible

i am registered with voxalot, but if voxalot server is down can i then make outgoing calls without registering ?

What i want is to make calls using ip like using server telio.no

all calls when registering is failed goes true telio.no ?

if yes, how and what shell i do ?
shezad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
TheFug

TheFug is on a distinguished road

Maybe Sipbroker is a solution for you .....
TheFug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
shezad

but i want it to call automatic if the server is down

and how can i make it work ?
Unread 12-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

It's not clear exactly what you want to do. My best guess is that you are looking to be able to make calls via some other route if/when your primary VoXaLot proxy is having problems for some reason. Is this correct?

If so, than the ability to do this (and how it's done) depends entirely upon what VoIP equipment you own/use, and how you have it configured. Depending upon where you are calling, there are certainly alternative ways (other than VoXaLot) that you can reach there (for example, send the call directly to your provider, vs sending it to VoXaLot and have your VoXaLot dial plan decide to send the call to your provider). And even VoXaLot itself has some redundancy built in, as we have multiple servers (so in theory if the VoXaLot server closest to you was down, you would still have the option to send the call to some other VoXaLot server that may be up).

But the thing is, if/when you want to reroute the call, you need equipment that can handle the reroute of the call. So if you are trying to provide a "backup" to your VoIP calling (for if/when your VoXaLot server is down), the only real way to do this would be to handle the "backup" directly in your VoIP equipment yourself. And since VoIP equipment varies a lot in what "backup" options (if any) that it supports, we don't even know if your equipment would support such "backup" options, much less how you would configure them on your specific equipment.

NOTE: You didn't say that you use LinkSys VoIP adapters, but since many do there is a chance you also use such equipment (so I'll give the answer for LinkSys equipment, below). With LinkSys SPA-xxxx adapters, you can't really have a true "outgoing backup", because there is no way to tell the LinkSys-xxxx adapters to send the call one place if/when the proxy is up, and elsewhere when it's down. However, the LinkSys adapters do have the ability (via customizing the dial plan) to give you the option to send the call to an alternate proxy based upon what you dialed at call time. So if you customize your dial plan to have a unique dialing prefix route calls to an alternate proxy (for example, a different VoXaLot server), you would get a partial "manual backup", in that you would be able to use the alternate dialing route whenever you wanted to (by dialing the prefix you setup your your dial plan). But that still wouldn't give you a true automated "backup", because the adapter would still try your normal way of calling if/when you dialed "normally" (even if/when your normal VoIP proxy is down for some reason).

NOTE: Almost all of the LinkSys VoIP adapters let you override your proxy via the dial plan (so almost all LinkSys adapters would give you the option to select your VoXaLot proxy by how you dialed, assuming you customized your dial plan for this). But most of the LinkSys adapters (and this limitation does include the very common/popular PAP2) don't give you the option to override your line's userID and password (the notable exception to this rule is the SPA-3102, which does have the ability to override the userid and password from the dial plan), which means that you generally won't have the "backup" option to send the calls directly to your VoIP provider (bypassing VoXaLot completely). However, even with the PAP2, you should (if you want to get that fancy) be able to setup your "dial plan" to let you choose (by how you dial) which of the 3 VoXaLot proxies to send the call via how you dialed the call (presumably you would want the "default" dialing approach connect you to the VoXaLot proxy that is nearest to you on the internet).
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
shezad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis View Post
It's not clear exactly what you want to do. My best guess is that you are looking to be able to make calls via some other route if/when your primary VoXaLot proxy is having problems for some reason. Is this correct?

If so, than the ability to do this (and how it's done) depends entirely upon what VoIP equipment you own/use, and how you have it configured. Depending upon where you are calling, there are certainly alternative ways (other than VoXaLot) that you can reach there (for example, send the call directly to your provider, vs sending it to VoXaLot and have your VoXaLot dial plan decide to send the call to your provider). And even VoXaLot itself has some redundancy built in, as we have multiple servers (so in theory if the VoXaLot server closest to you was down, you would still have the option to send the call to some other VoXaLot server that may be up).

But the thing is, if/when you want to reroute the call, you need equipment that can handle the reroute of the call. So if you are trying to provide a "backup" to your VoIP calling (for if/when your VoXaLot server is down), the only real way to do this would be to handle the "backup" directly in your VoIP equipment yourself. And since VoIP equipment varies a lot in what "backup" options (if any) that it supports, we don't even know if your equipment would support such "backup" options, much less how you would configure them on your specific equipment.

NOTE: You didn't say that you use LinkSys VoIP adapters, but since many do there is a chance you also use such equipment (so I'll give the answer for LinkSys equipment, below). With LinkSys SPA-xxxx adapters, you can't really have a true "outgoing backup", because there is no way to tell the LinkSys-xxxx adapters to send the call one place if/when the proxy is up, and elsewhere when it's down. However, the LinkSys adapters do have the ability (via customizing the dial plan) to give you the option to send the call to an alternate proxy based upon what you dialed at call time. So if you customize your dial plan to have a unique dialing prefix route calls to an alternate proxy (for example, a different VoXaLot server), you would get a partial "manual backup", in that you would be able to use the alternate dialing route whenever you wanted to (by dialing the prefix you setup your your dial plan). But that still wouldn't give you a true automated "backup", because the adapter would still try your normal way of calling if/when you dialed "normally" (even if/when your normal VoIP proxy is down for some reason).

NOTE: Almost all of the LinkSys VoIP adapters let you override your proxy via the dial plan (so almost all LinkSys adapters would give you the option to select your VoXaLot proxy by how you dialed, assuming you customized your dial plan for this). But most of the LinkSys adapters (and this limitation does include the very common/popular PAP2) don't give you the option to override your line's userID and password (the notable exception to this rule is the SPA-3102, which does have the ability to override the userid and password from the dial plan), which means that you generally won't have the "backup" option to send the calls directly to your VoIP provider (bypassing VoXaLot completely). However, even with the PAP2, you should (if you want to get that fancy) be able to setup your "dial plan" to let you choose (by how you dial) which of the 3 VoXaLot proxies to send the call via how you dialed the call (presumably you would want the "default" dialing approach connect you to the VoXaLot proxy that is nearest to you on the internet).
Thanks for you reply

yes, what i wanted was to have a backup plan if one of the voxalot servers was down. Like for some days ago and other days also the eu.voxalot.com has been down for many hours. And my problem is that i have many different voip adapter and phones that i am responsible for my family.

i am mostly using linksys adapter yes, its spa1001, pap2, spa2102 and 3102.
Also have grandstream 486 and 2000.

The solution i wanted are for the linksys adapters, and its like that i cant always go home to every person in my family to update the server address when eu.voxalot.com is down and then change it for example to us og au.voxalot.com, and when its back online i have to take another round to the family to do the changings. Many of my family is on my parents age and telling then how to do is not easy

They are only use to dial normal, i have a voxalot account using one of the betamax clients to dial out. In my voxalot account i have also made some dial plan when ever i dial 5189xxxx it then uses voipprovider telio.no

I do not have a username or password for telio.no, they have theyr server open to call anyone in telio, i just have the host in voxalot as telio.no and it is not registerd and i can then call all telio customer. Many friends and family people in norway are a customer of telio so i have 10 dialplan and all of them are going thrue telio.no and not betamax so then i do not have to spend all my 300 minutes on long family calls. Using telio.no there are no limits using them. Telio is also on the list of sipbroker and its open to dial out to all telio customer.

I just need to have a backup solution if eu.voxalot.com is down all calls go out with telio.no

with telio.no i do not have to be registered, anyone can call another telio customer.
Unread 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezad View Post
The solution i wanted are for the linksys adapters, and its like that i cant always go home to every person in my family to update the server address when eu.voxalot.com is down and then change it for example to us og au.voxalot.com, and when its back online i have to take another round to the family to do the changings. Many of my family is on my parents age and telling then how to do is not easy
Then given your hardware limits, I think the "manual backup" approach (where you have to dial the call differently when you want to use the "backup") is probably about the best you can hope for.

This would still require you to modify the adapters' "dial plan" ONCE (as well as turn on the adapter's "Make Call Without Registration" setting), and also teach your family the "alternate way of dialing". But once you do that, then (in theory) they can just try switching to the alternate way of dialing if/when things don't work "the normal way".

For example, the following dial plan pieces added to your dial plan (assuming you don't already use the #-key tricks in your existing dial plan), should give the adapter the option to manually force the call out via: SIP Broker (dialed as: #0 number #), the US VoXaLot server (#1 number #), the EU VoXaLot server (#2 number #) or the au VoXaLot server (#3 number #). And for "normal" dialing, they would just dial as they always have (and your other dial plan pieces will deal with routing the call as you always have).
Code:
<#0:>[x*].<:@sipbroker.com> | <#1:>[x*].<:@us.voxalot.com> | <#2:>[x*].<:@eu.voxalot.com> | <#1:>[x*].<:@au.voxalot.com> |
Of course, even with this "backup", you still have to teach your family how to try the "backup dialing" options (including both the leading and trailing #-keys) when your primary is down for any reason. And you will also need to make a one time change (adding the above code to the dial plan, and also turning on the "Make Call Without Registration" line option), to enable this. But at least this gives you a partial "manual backup" option, that can be asked for at any time from the phone (simply by changing how you dial that call), for when the primary service is down for any reason. So while this isn't a complete "backup solution", it's still "better than nothing". And this approach does have the advantage of working on virtually all LinkSys model ATAs...

NOTE: The reason why redirecting to an alternate voxalot proxy will work even on a PAP2, is that you would use the same (voxalot account) userID and password for each of the three proxies. And since even the PAP2 can override the proxy in the dial plan (even though it generally takes a SPA-3102 to also override the userID and password), you can use the redirection trick for going to an alternate voxalot proxy (the alternate proxy would pick up your main userID/password you registered with). And this also works with sipbroker.com (#0 number #), because sipbroker doesn't care what your userID/password are, and therefore sipbroker.com is happy to accept your voxalot userID and password.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
shezad

Thanks for the tip

I was also thinking if this is possible, what if i make my own dydns server at rute it to eu.voxalot.com, and when i find out that it is down i can log into my dyndns and reroute it to for example us.voxalot.com

Do you think this will work ? And will it be stabile ?

Anyone have some comments on it?

regards from shezad
Unread 12-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
majo

majo is on a distinguished road
Default Custom eu2au2us DNS entries

Hi Shezad,
I was also thinking about such automatic backup solution. I have created

1. eu2au2us.dyndns.org
2. au2eu2us.dyndns.org
3. us2eu2au.dyndns.org

DNS records & tried eu2au2us.dyndns.org in my FRITZBOX router but unluckliy it did not worked for me.

If VoxAlot team can provide such DNS entries then my ATA may work without problem. I have tried my ATA with direct IP address that works but with these custom DNS entries did not work.

Any one else can try these entries & post back result.

Best regards.

majo

Last edited by majo; 12-07-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling correction
majo is offline   Reply With Quote