Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
sinko

sinko is on a distinguished road
Default Person Unavailable???

I have major problems to reach my sister's SPA-3102 over voxalot, but she can reach my SPA-3102.

Starting this morning and until now (12 hours), I am getting a message
"Person at extension 3480xx is unavailable" or on her other number (registered with voxalot as well:
"Person at extension 7825xx is unavailable"

She is able to reach my SPA-3102 all the time over voxalot.

This has happened before (when I know that she is not busy and not using her SPA-3102 and cannot reach her) but it would last for about 2-3 hours and it would be resolved and I could reach her, but today it is very long and I need support. Please help.

I am wondering whether it could be that both of us have "Answer Calls without Registration: No" and that somehow her unit is not registering today?

Please help.

Thanks,
Srdjan
sinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

Is it possible her IP address is changing and the register interval (in the Sipura, it is called "Register Expires" in the same section you enter the Voxalot proxy server you are using) she is using is too long? That would generate that same error. Voxalot would be trying to send the call to an IP address she isn't located at anymore. Unfortunately it is hard to know what is going here without more information.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Tranworld

Tranworld is on a distinguished road

On my 3102 this was due to the setting NAT keep alive (clearly a router matter) but if set to NO the 3102 will still register OK and will ring when first switched on, but after a while will say the same thing, essentially the VSP seems to have lost track of it and think it is down when it is still up and you can make outgoing calls, rebooting the device get it to register afresh and receving calls again. Setting NAT keep alive to ON resolve the problem
Tranworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
sinko

Thanks for your help.

Register Expires is set at 3600 (which is 1 hour) in both her and my SPA-3102.
Assuming that her IP changes more frequently (is it realistic?), what are advantages and disadvantages of setting Register Expires at say 360 seconds?

What if I ask her to change "Answer Call without Registration" to YES, would VOXALOT be able to place a call to her even without succesful registration?

Please let me know what info is needed to troubleshoot the problem, I can send her setup and config if needed as well as her number over PM so that you can check if her number is registered, etc.
Unread 03-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
sinko

NAT Keep Alive Enable: YES
NAT Mapping Enable: YES

When it was NO her connection would disconnect every 1 minute or 5 minute or so (varying time of call but always disconnects).

Do you suggest keeping it at YES or you suggest going back to NO?

Thanks
Unread 03-17-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
ctylor

No, definitely keep both Keep Alive and Mapping Enable to "Yes". It was just suggested that if it was kept at "No" it might explain your problem, but you have shown it is already correctly set to "yes".

IP's can change fairly frequently on ADSL connections, if the settings are not done right, so it is a possibility--if she is on DSL.

Changing "Answer Call without Registration" to YES would not materially help; there is no way to call someone by their Voxalot SIP URI (e.g. number@us.voxalot.com) when the device is not registered.

You should put her device in her router's DMZ and see if that helps. Also, you could try shortening the registration interval to something less than an hour. I personally can't do anything knowing her account numbers, but maybe if I saw your saved Sipura configuration I could try to spot if anything is amiss.

--Chris
Unread 03-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
sinko

Thanks for your help and quick replies.

I believe that it is ADSL. She cannot put it into DMZ of the router since she is getting her connection from her neighbor and router is in neighbors apartment and she does not communicate with her neghbor.

Attached are VOICE and ROUTER Configs in a zip file. Where you see XXXXXX, I have entered it to hide personal info. Also, both PSTN and Line 1 are shown as registered but I am not sure if that is correct since I am using config a few days old that I edited for hiding personal info today and added "Ans Call without Reg: YES" for both Line 1 and PSTN.

Please help with some suggestions on what to try other than reducing registration time from 3600 sec to say 360 sec.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mar16 ROUTER and VOICE configs.zip (22.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by sinko; 03-17-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Unread 03-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #8
ctylor

Make these changes:

Under the SIP tab (in Voice)

NAT Support Parameters
Substitute VIA Addr: Yes
Send Resp To Src Port: Yes
STUN Enable: Yes
STUN Server: stun.xten.com
NAT Keep Alive Intvl: 30

Under the Line 1 tab

Proxy and Registration
Proxy: (change this to either us.voxalot.com or eu.voxalot.com or au.voxalot.com instead of simply voxalot.com)
Register Expires: 600
Use DNS SRV: Yes
DNS SRV Auto Prefix: Yes

(I have to admit I don't own the 3102, and I don't know what is the proper way to enter information under the PSTN Line tab. You'll probably have a better idea of the changes needed there based on the changes recommended here.)
Unread 03-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
sinko

Thanks for your help.

I have been hesitating to change to us.voxalot or eu.voxalot.com since I read messages on the forum where people had problems with the unit after making the change in January and February: http://forum.voxalot.com/showthread.php?p=4807#post4807
Are there any major advantages to changing to specific us or eu server other than shorter latency time?

Also, when I set register expires to 600, would there be any adverse effect, for instance, if the registration is not succesfull twice in a row I was reading somewhere on the forum that "VoXaLot is programmed to then retry every 2 mins for up to one hour, after which time the request is moved into "Failed" status." but I do not know if this applies to the registration situation or not?

Please help.
Unread 03-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
ctylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinko View Post
Thanks for your help.

I have been hesitating to change to us.voxalot or eu.voxalot.com since I read messages on the forum where people had problems with the unit after making the change in January and February: http://forum.voxalot.com/showthread.php?p=4807#post4807
Are there any major advantages to changing to specific us or eu server other than shorter latency time?
I think the initial problems Voxalot suffered in the change-over were all identified and corrected in the first week or so. I am recommending that change because voxalot.com is no longer a supported server name for registration and I think the intention is to remove it at some point. Beyond that, this way would allow you to select a geographically close server and take advantage of 'fallback' to another server automatically in the event one of them goes down.

Quote:
Also, when I set register expires to 600, would there be any adverse effect, for instance, if the registration is not succesfull twice in a row I was reading somewhere on the forum that "VoXaLot is programmed to then retry every 2 mins for up to one hour, after which time the request is moved into "Failed" status." but I do not know if this applies to the registration situation or not?

Please help.
No there would be no adverse affect at all, except slightly more bandwidth being generated between you and Voxalot as you register 6x as frequently. The effect you are quoting is what happens when a provider you select for registration within your Voxalot account page fails to register, and is how the Voxalot service then treats that 3rd party provider. The change in time in your Sipura has absolutely no effect on how Voxalot and the 3rd party provider interact, it is just how often your device (in this case the Sipura) registers with Voxalot.

In point of fact, I just recommended that in case the IP-jumping affect of DSL is what is happening but the most critical changes from above are adding those STUN settings. Those should really help.