Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > ENUM.164 > e164.org Support

e164.org Support Support forum for the e164.org ENUM directory

Unread 04-28-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough
Default ENUM Records Using DYNDNS.ORG

Is there a problem using dynamic ip addresses in ENUM records on the new e164.org server?

If I make my ENUM record sip/000@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, a scheduled diagnostic call works perfectly.

If I make my ENUM record sip/000@user.dyndns.org (which resolves to the IP address in the previous example), a scheduled diagnostic call fails (there's no sign of it from my end).

I have ENUM lookups implemented in my Asterisk server. If the ENUM record is using an IP address, a SIP ENUM record is returned and used properly and the call succeeds. If the ENUM record record is using dyndns.org, it appears two DNC (Do Not Call?) records are returned instead of a SIP and DNC record and my call fails.

Any idea what's going on here?

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I have ENUM lookups implemented in my Asterisk server. If the ENUM record is using an IP address, a SIP ENUM record is returned and used properly and the call succeeds. If the ENUM record record is using dyndns.org, it appears two DNC (Do Not Call?) records are returned instead of a SIP and DNC record and my call fails.

Any idea what's going on here?
I'm wondering if it's related to the DNS "A" vs DNS "SRV" record issue that VoIP sometimes faces.

Some SIP services insist on "SRV" records, and won't handle the more common "A" records, whereas other proxies (such as VoXaLot's) can use either. And almost all of the dynamic DNS services, do DNS "A" records (not the more obscure "SRV" records).

NOTE: That's one of the reasons I don't use my dynamic DNS entry in ENUM. Even if the lookup went correctly, there would be a good chance that some users wouldn't be able to complete the call, due to the SRV vs A record issue.

Instead, the "work around" is to sign up with some service that can handle the "A" records (SIP Broker aliases, VoXaLot accounts, etc), and then point your ENUM entry to that service's proxy. For example, if you point your ENUM entry to sip:your_VoXaLot_number@voxalot.com (where your_VoXaLot_number is of course your specific 6 digit VoXaLot phone number), and then setup VoXaLot forwarding to send all calls to your dynamic DNS entry, everything should work. ENUM callers will be happy, as the voxalot proxy has the needed SRV DNS entry. And you will receive your calls, as the voxalot proxy knows how to forward to a SIP URI that uses DNS "A" records. About the only "down side" of this approach, is that the extra "redirection" means that incomming will be down whenever the voxalot web proxy is down...

BTW: While this Wiki note (link below) doesn't relate to your specific model of equipment, it does relate to using Dynamic DNS with VoIP. As such, you might find some useful tidbits of info in it:
http://faq.sipbroker.com/tiki-index....%20or%20Sipura
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
evilbunny

evilbunny is on a distinguished road

Providers if they follow RFCs and implement SRV lookups, should also gracefully fall back to A if SRV isn't found...
evilbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
DracoFelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbunny
Providers if they follow RFCs and implement SRV lookups, should also gracefully fall back to A if SRV isn't found...
It would be nice. But many don't.

Which is why I suggest sending your ENUM entry to some proxy that has both SRV and A records present. i.e. instead of pointing your ENUM directly to your dynamic DNS entry (mostly just "A" records), point your ENUM entry at a SIP Broker alias or a VoXaLot account (and then have the alias/account forward to your dynamic DNS entry). That way, all bases are covered (i.e. both users that require "SRV" records, and users that require "A" records can reach you, as both "sipbroker.com" and "voxalot.com" have both A and SRV records present)...
Unread 04-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
evilbunny

evilbunny is on a distinguished road

didn't think dyndns.com could set SRV records...
evilbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #6
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

I ran into this problem with using a DynDNS address as the mapping for my ENUM or for my IPKall number. I took your advice Draco and created an alias at SipBroker to point to my DynDNS addy, and then told ENUM and IPKall (and FWD too) to forward calls to my SipBroker address. By changing to this set up, no more fast-busy signals and everything is working great.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
wildbill

wildbill is on a distinguished road

I have set up a Dyndns address and am not sure how to use it for Enum/Ipkall/Sipbroker etc - what I dont understand is how to point these to this address - eg Ipkall asks for sip phone number and sip proxy - how are these entered in the correct manner - is the sip number from my Vsp or the one from my ATA (Voxalot)? - and the sip proxy is? - maybe xxxxxxxx.dyns.org - can anyone point me in the right direction - thanks Bill
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
DracoFelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill
what I dont understand is how to point these to this address - eg Ipkall asks for sip phone number and sip proxy - how are these entered in the correct manner - is the sip number from my Vsp or the one from my ATA (Voxalot)? - and the sip proxy is? - maybe xxxxxxxx.dyns.org - can anyone point me in the right direction - thanks Bill
Close. On my ATA (a LinkSys/Sipura SPA-3000), the format for IPKall is:

"SIP Number" is whatever I have in my "UserID" field on my adapter (for that line). This is normally decided by which account you have your adapter "registered" with. However this is that actual "UserID" field, not necessarily the "number" your VoIP provider uses (which may or may not match your "userid"). And this "number" doesn't even have to be numeric (i.e. if your UserID is "myid", than your "SIP Number" with IPKall is also "myid").

"Proxy" is my dynamic DNS address. I happen to use no-ip.com (instead of dyns.org), but the idea is the same. Whatever DNS entry points to the IP address of your adapter goes here.

NOTE: For this to work, you have to have your SIP adapter on the DEFAULT SIP port (i.e. using UDP 5060).
Unread 06-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
wildbill

OK I will give it a try - I have a Sipura 3000 and registered to Voxalot.com.au on line 1 - so using your advice the user id is my voxalot number - I will set up Ipkall and wait the hour and try my US number to hopefully ring myself on Voip - if it all works I suppose the same format is to be used for FWD and E164org? - thanks Bill

Also my SPA is setup closely to your recommendations on the Wiki with the exception of Nat enable which causes my SPA to lose registration - I have also forwarded all recommended UDP ports on my router(Siemens Speedstream6520) as well as the Dyndns Ip enabled - Bill
Unread 06-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
wildbill

to update - a call to Ipkall pointed to
SIP Phone Number:15xxxx(Myvoxalot.com.au) number and SIP Proxy: wildbillxx.dyndns.org does not ring my SPA - where to now? - i think it is to do with the new Voxalot.com.au incoming calls problem that have been mentioned a few times before - thanks Bill