Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
AlexErko

AlexErko is on a distinguished road
Default Nokia E70 - VoXaLot Tips

Further to the sticky http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...s-support.html about how to set up E Series Nokia phones for use with VoXaLot, here are a couple of specific tips for using an E70, or some E70s at least, with VoXaLot:

1. There is a recognised issue of VoIP unreliability with the earliest firmware version/s on the E70 and some other E series phones.

2. I could not make or receive VoIP calls using my E70's pre-installed firmware (Version 1.0610.05.07), even though I followed the updated instructions in the sticky mentioned above. Some Googling about this issue led me to information that convinced me that if I could update my E70's firmware that things might improve.

3. Depending on the (sub) model of E70 that you use, you may not be able to update the firmware online using the Nokia Software Updater software; I couldn't. (I bought my, heavily discounted, but new, E70 in Australia from a branch of a bricks and mortar chain, Dick Smith, last week. They don't have many E70 phones left, if you are interested in purchasing one, and the Nokia agent in Australia is not importing any more even though the E70 is still a current model in production; don't ask me why the agent has made that decision, as I don't know the answer.)

4. I took my E70 to a Nokia service centre today and they updated the firmware to Version 2.0618.07.10.

5. Now I can reliably make and recieve VoIP calls on my E70.

(Note: I use a relatively cheap (AU$10 for 300MB per month) 3G data package from Virgin Mobile Australia, for VoIP and other some online use on my E70. I don't intend to usually make VoIP calls from the E70 as I use the regular Virgin Mobile minimum monthly cap for that, but when my wife is at home she will be calling me using VoIP while I am out and about, as we have an ATA at home. I have set up one VoXaLot account on the E70 and another one on the ATA, and VoXaLot to VoXaLot calls are free, apart from the data usage of course. My wife has successfully made a number of such test calls to me this evening.)

Last edited by AlexErko; 06-18-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Syntax.
AlexErko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Great tips...thanks.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
clundestad

clundestad is on a distinguished road

As i wrote in the other thread there are major improvements to the VoIP functionality in version 3 of the firmware. I currently have v. 3.0633.09.04.

I find this page very useful for checking the availability of new firmwares for my Nokia phones without connecting the phone and running the Nokia update software:
Nokia - Software update availability
clundestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
AlexErko

Quote:
Originally Posted by clundestad View Post
As i wrote in the other thread there are major improvements to the VoIP functionality in version 3 of the firmware. I currently have v. 3.0633.09.04.

I find this page very useful for checking the availability of new firmwares for my Nokia phones without connecting the phone and running the Nokia update software:
Nokia - Software update availability
That page is not accurate for all Nokia phones, unfortunately. I used it, as well as the Nokia update software, and the answers were that there was no newer firmware available for my E70 phone. However, when I rang the local Nokia service centre and told them the details of my phone and its firmware, they told me that they could update the firmware. So, I took the phone to them yesterday, as I mentioned above.

The version of the firmware (3.0633.09.04) that you have is a later one than the version (2.0618.07.10) that I recieved yesterday at the service centre, however, that upgrade was nevertheless a big improvement over my phone's original firmware (1.0610.05.07). Hopefully, in due course, the 3.0633.09.04 version, or similar, will also be available for my phone too.
Unread 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
ygeffens

ygeffens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexErko View Post
The version of the firmware (3.0633.09.04) that you have is a later one than the version (2.0618.07.10) that I recieved yesterday at the service centre, however, that upgrade was nevertheless a big improvement over my phone's original firmware (1.0610.05.07). Hopefully, in due course, the 3.0633.09.04 version, or similar, will also be available for my phone too.
Do you know of a list with differences between these Firmware's?

They always tought me: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
But maybe it's broken (my E70) and I don't know about it , because I never use the feature, or I don't notice the problems.

Thanks,
Yves
ygeffens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
clundestad

clundestad is on a distinguished road

Version 3 of the firmware supports STUN so it should have have better NAT traversal. However, beware that there is no way of setting the STUN server manually. Apparently, the phone will look up the address to the STUN server from Voxalot's DNS records.

Another more visible improvment is a much improved interface for registering to SIP providers via different WLANs. You no longer need to define multiple SIP accounts on your phone if you use it on different WLANs. It is also easy to connect via open WLANs on the go.

Also, the VoIP client seems much more robust and registers automatically when moving in and out of WLAN coverage and betweem different WLANs, e.g. home and work.

I would definitely recommend upgrading!
clundestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
AlexErko

After a few days' experience with the set-up that I mentioned in the first post in this thread, here are some observations:

1. For some minutes after updating/setting up the SIP settings on my E70, I can receive incoming calls on my VoXaLot number, then no incoming calls get through, ie the phone does not ring at all.

2. All outgoing calls work fine.

3. I have therefore resorted to setting up Fring on my E70 and registered it with VoXaLot; incoming and outgoing calls are fine now. However, I have found that my E70 will close down Fring while the phone is on stand-by if I have not cleared the browser's cache at the end of each session of surfing the net. (According to some speculation on the net, this is because there is not much RAM on E70 phones, so they tend to shut down applications running in the background if too much of the RAM has been used.)

Of course, if your E70 has the latest firmware, ie version 3.0633.09.04, then none of the above may apply to you. I can't be sure about that as my E70 is not yet capable of being upgraded to that version, as I mention earlier in this thread.