Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
325xi

325xi is on a distinguished road
Default CID lost at Call Forwarding

On my voxalot account I defined a simple rule: all calls from provider X to be transfered to my cellphone. Now when my cellphone rings, I see my own number (defined at provider X) instead of original CID. Is there a workaround for this?
325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi View Post
On my voxalot account I defined a simple rule: all calls from provider X to be transfered to my cellphone. Now when my cellphone rings, I see my own number (defined at provider X) instead of original CID. Is there a workaround for this?
Currently there is no workaround for this, unless you find a provider to handle the forwarding, which also supports passing on CID.....

I am quite sure that VoXalot does send the CID info through though

Last edited by emoci; 03-15-2008 at 09:18 PM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
jack9901

jack9901 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Currently there is no workaround for this, unless you find a provider to handle the forwarding, which also supports passing on CID.....

I am quite sure that VoXalot does send the CID info through though
I am not sure about this. Maybe I missed somewhere. I see the fromuser field of the service provider is either filled by the user, or forced to be the same as the username, which basically eliminates the possibility of CID passing. I think you meant the CID name. Voxalot does pass CID name. However, CID name is discarded when the call terminates at PSTN. Voicepulse Connect is the one I know that will pass CID name as CID number. So if the incoming provider sets the CID name the same as the CID number, it is possible to use Voicepulse Connect to forward the call not losing the CID.
jack9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack9901 View Post
I am not sure about this. Maybe I missed somewhere. I see the fromuser field of the service provider is either filled by the user, or forced to be the same as the username, which basically eliminates the possibility of CID passing. I think you meant the CID name. Voxalot does pass CID name. However, CID name is discarded when the call terminates at PSTN. Voicepulse Connect is the one I know that will pass CID name as CID number. So if the incoming provider sets the CID name the same as the CID number, it is possible to use Voicepulse Connect to forward the call not losing the CID.
I did not specifically mean CID name, I was talking about CID number - when I make Voxalot to pass the incoming call to my cell the CID delivered is CID of my provider, and not of the caller.
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
jack9901

jack9901 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I did not specifically mean CID name, I was talking about CID number - when I make Voxalot to pass the incoming call to my cell the CID delivered is CID of my provider, and not of the caller.
Yep, that is what I meant for. Most VOIP retailers pre-set the caller ID of your calls to either your DID number or the one your specified with them and you cannot change it. Whether you initiate the call, or the call is initiated by a PBX switch to do forwarding, that doesn't matter, they all carry the pre-set caller ID number that is meant for you calling other people. The first thing for passing caller ID during forwarding is to find a termination service provider that allows you to set caller ID number per call. The second thing to worry about is whether the PBX server is ready to pass the caller ID number from the inbound call to the outbound call.
jack9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack9901 View Post
Yep, that is what I meant for. Most VOIP retailers pre-set the caller ID of your calls to either your DID number or the one your specified with them and you cannot change it. Whether you initiate the call, or the call is initiated by a PBX switch to do forwarding, that doesn't matter, they all carry the pre-set caller ID number that is meant for you calling other people. The first thing for passing caller ID during forwarding is to find a termination service provider that allows you to set caller ID number per call. The second thing to worry about is whether the PBX server is ready to pass the caller ID number from the inbound call to the outbound call.
What's interesting is that when I forward (*72) some other voip number to my provider that rings my ATA registered with voxalot, I do see a correct CID. Doesn't it mean that my provider does pass CID in certain cases, and all this is just an integration problem?
Unread 03-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
What's interesting is that when I forward (*72) some other voip number to my provider that rings my ATA registered with voxalot, I do see a correct CID. Doesn't it mean that my provider does pass CID in certain cases, and all this is just an integration problem?
Ok think of it like this, let's break down the call:

Part 1: Caller To VoXalot (CID is intact up to this point)
Part 2: Forwarding to number 123 via Provider X
Part 3: Provider X to destination (Receive CID of provider X)

The issue is in the second step, unlike when enabling CallForward from your provider, VoXalot's forwarding sets up a call on its own (Part 2) and connects with the original call (Part 1).... So you need Provider X to have a CID feature that can be spoofed at will. Provider X does not see Part 2 as a CF command, or an incoming call, it thinks it is nothing more than an outgoing call from a device, thinking it should naturally send its own CID

About 99% of consumer level providers do not unfortunately support CID spoofing at will.....business level providers do allow this feature, but for normal users like us, it is cost prohibitive

Regardless of what I come up with as an explanation though, the short answer is CID will pass through, if the provider you are using supports CID spoofing.....unfortunately support is limited among consumer level providers
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote