Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #11
tripleacs

tripleacs is on a distinguished road

I suppose we do not need to worry about roaming SMS, as roaming voice call charges are usually large enough to negate any benefit you'd get by callback.

As for the format:

1. We could use the from/caller ID to identify initiating mobile. We could then restrict username to a registered mobile number.

2. So keeping it simple, the actual SMS could just be:

callback [from] [to]
eg. callback 004412345678 004412345679

Would be good to be able to specify different source and destination numbers, instead of being limited to the mobile - although may be bit of a risk.

could be reduced by adding
[username] [pin] callback [from] [to]
and matching the source mobile number with that pre-registered..

just an idea.
tripleacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #12
Mew

Mew is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I agree on the fact that it would be easier for us if we wouldn't need to initiate the call from internet by connecting on mobile.voxalot.com Some months ago, I tried to use jajah and it cost me a lot in GPRS fees... :-(

A SMS to send or even better a call from an authorized number would be very interesting !
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Let's assume that someone has bought a SIM card of the roamed country. 2 things occur: they need to register the number on the Voxalot account, either by internet access, or including account details in the sms, and then the sms to the server is to a foreign number. If everyone wants an sms access number of either their home or the roamed country, there will be quite a high cost of setting it all up.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
patos

patos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If everyone wants an sms access number of either their home or the roamed country, there will be quite a high cost of setting it all up.
why would one need it?
patos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by patos View Post
why would one need it?
I don't know - everyone seems to be assuming that sms messages are cheap, so I assumed they didn't mean international or roaming, which often cost more
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #16
patos

patos is on a distinguished road

I suppose everyone can decide by himself which way of triggering calls would be the most efficient depending on individual circumstances. There is no need to assume anything. What might be expensive in your plan, could be cheap in others'.
patos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #17
Tranworld

Tranworld is on a distinguished road

What is "expensive" in SMS terms is only relative when roaming charges are taken into account. Let's say an SMS is either free or 5c or less when sent locally and could cost around 20c when sent internationally, it still make sense because it is a one time cost and is relatively cheap, roaming calls can cost about 70c/minute, one can't expect to have the same telecom cost when roaming but in the context, an SMS is practically nothing compared to the savings that can be achieved.

I am all for a simple SMS trigger to get preset things going, once it works well Voxalot can always enhanced it with "specify your destination" type of SMS
Tranworld is offline   Reply With Quote