Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 09-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough
Default DTMF Tx Method

Voxalot, as almost a personal PBX system, opens up a lot of new possibilities for users, allowing us route calls through multiple providers through a single device registered to Voxalot. However one hurdle I am butting up against is how different providers prefer different methods of transmitting DTMF touch-tones.

Choosing "Auto" never seems to result in correctly picking the right transmission method of DTMF. Inband sending of tones via u-law works consistently well with some providers but not with others. And unfortunately it seems like with a provider, their support is either configured optimally for the RFC2833 (AVT) method of out-of-band transmitting tones, or for the SIP INFO method. Picking the wrong one grinds IVR systems to a halt or directs you to the operator who picks up pulse-dialing users. And then picking the option in a Sipura of AVT + INFO means both methods are used, which would work well as a default setting if all providers used one or the other but unfortunately in a lot of cases it leads to the two methods fighting it out over the IVR.

Now typically, what a user who doesnt use Voxalot would do is configure their device for one provider, and then by trial and error, figure out the DTMF transmission method that works most of the time with their chosen provider. But with Voxalot, it means I am using several different providers for different things--Gizmo Project for toll-free calls, Voxee and Teliax and Plainvoip for toll calls, and Voxalot for voice mail. But choosing any one system of DTMF Tx tends to make it work with one or some of the providers, while simulataneously 'breaking' touch-tones with the other providers. At the moment it is leading to an awkward system of having to choose my DTMF Tx method to make toll-free work or to make toll work.

Does anyone have any experience on the best way to manage all this without needing to go into their ATA every second day to reconfigure the method used to transmit DTMF touch tones?
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

I figured out one way to solve this on my own end was setting my ATA to transmit DTMF via SIP INFO, and then using Gizmo Project's toll-free through the interface of Voxalot. (Before now, I was using Gizmo Project's toll-free directly within my Sipura dial plan, and it was never going through Voxalot at all.) Gizmo Project is happy with this, Voxalot voice mail is happy, and Voxee as a call out provider is happy (note to future Voxee readers who might encounter this problem, AVT and Auto don't work with Voxee). So since everyone's finally happy now, I'm happy too.

Edit: I made a change to my Sipura that I find made DTMF codes very reliable to the three things I am trying to target (Gizmo Project toll-free, Voxee toll, and Voxalot VM) that I wanted to pass on. I changed the transmission mode from 'INFO' to 'Auto' and then directly above it, changed DTMF Process AVT from 'yes' to 'no'. This had the effect of solving any remaining problems I was having.

Last edited by ctylor; 09-03-2006 at 07:05 PM.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Good info, thx for sharing.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote