Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 02-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Mew

Mew is on a distinguished road
Question Personalized SIP URI

Hi,

I would like to know if by changing the cname of my own domain name to voxalot.com, I would be able to receive incoming calls on my personalized SIP URI : voxalotnumber@mydomain.com ?

For further details please have a look at this link : http://forum.gizmoproject.com/viewtopic.php?t=1620

Quote:
"And so my SIP uri for that provider is: SIP:xxxxx@sip.ExampleSIPco.com

I also have a domain name, which we'll just say is "MyDomain.com" again for the sake of example.

I was thinking it might be cool to post a custom SIP uri on my website. So just for kicks, I edited my "cname" record for my domain so that "sip.MyDomain.com" pointed to "sip.exampleSIPco.com"

And to my surprise, when calling "SIP:xxxxx@sip.MyDomain.com" from Gizmo, the ATA/phone registered to "SIP:xxxxx@sip.ExampleSIPco.com" rang. Pretty cool, I say."
What about Voxalot ? Have anybody already tried to do so ?

Thanks

Mew
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

None of us have tried this, however we are curious too.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Mew

Mew is on a distinguished road

Yes it could be nice to give a personalized SIP address to your friends. If nobody already tried I can test this and share the results with you.

The only problem is when someone wants to call you with his phone. There won't be any SIP Code for your domain name...

Or is it possible to create a SIP code on SIP Broker without having a real SIP proxy ?
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Lanh

Lanh is on a distinguished road

It's forbidden with Voxalot and you get a message which tells you to use one of the Voxalot URL's.

Would be nice to have this as a feature, word aliases would make it even more worth while, so you could have for instance lanh@domain.com resolving to 123456@us.voxalot.com which would still allow you to use the SIPBroker peering.
Lanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

However, if you sign up for OnSip.com's A La Carte Account (Free....but careful don't mix this up with the Free 30 Day Trial), you can do just that, create any form of name@mydomain.com SIP URIs.

You do have to be able to access your domain's SRV record to do this....if your current domain registrar doesn't allow you, GoDaddy's OffSite DNS supports this and is free, simply set up an account at GoDaddy...

You then have the choice of forwarding the custom SIP URIs to any other SIP URI (eg. VoXalot), or registering with them directly...(but there is little point to this unless you are planning on using OnSip for outgoing calls)
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
325xi

325xi is on a distinguished road

Can it be done with sub-domain?

For example sip.mydomain.com would be forwarded to SIP server, while the domain itself (mydomain.com) would stay with original destination?
325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi View Post
Can it be done with sub-domain?

For example sip.mydomain.com would be forwarded to SIP server, while the domain itself (mydomain.com) would stay with original destination?
You could, but with OnSip they do not have you mess with the A record at all, it simply requires some SRV manipulation...

So you can have the same domain have its A record pointed to the WebHost, MX to the mail host, and SRV to the SIP host

If you must do with a subdomain, simply modify the setup as such for the SRV record setup:

Original:
_sip _udp @ 0 0 5060 sip.onsip.com 1 Hour

Modified for sip.mydomain.com
_sip _udp sip 0 0 5060 sip.onsip.com 1 Hour

This page may come in handy to check if the changes propagated yet blyon.com
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
shermanh4

shermanh4 is on a distinguished road
Default OnSip / Voxalot Configuration?

My domain is properly configured with a SRV record. Everything checks out fine, I believe.

I can't, however, figure out how to register my onsip account with Voxalot. I added it as a provider and specified the information provided to me by onsip.

My real objective is to set up forwarding from my onsip account to my voxalot sip number. I believe that the forwarding option is not available until I successfully register a SIP phone using the account settings provided by onsip.

Has anyone managed to set this up so that their own domain name can be used as a SIP address via Onsip.com --> voxalot?
shermanh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
emoci

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanh4 View Post
My domain is properly configured with a SRV record. Everything checks out fine, I believe.

I can't, however, figure out how to register my onsip account with Voxalot. I added it as a provider and specified the information provided to me by onsip.

My real objective is to set up forwarding from my onsip account to my voxalot sip number. I believe that the forwarding option is not available until I successfully register a SIP phone using the account settings provided by onsip.

Has anyone managed to set this up so that their own domain name can be used as a SIP address via Onsip.com --> voxalot?

You don't need to do any registration, all the forwarding can be done from OnSip directly.

1. Under Resources, add a new External Sip Address (your VoXalot acct. SIP URI)
2. Under users, click the specific user, under Inbound Call Preferences, select Ring:5 sec

You'll now be given an option where to send the call afterwards, you can choose to forward it to the Resource you set up above...

That's been working for me...
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
TheFug

TheFug is on a distinguished road

When using the Voxalot sip uri, should with, or without the server addition ?
111111@eu.voxalot.com or 111111@voxalot.com ?

sorry ! i just see... with !

Last edited by TheFug; 08-26-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: reading the older post....;)
TheFug is offline   Reply With Quote