Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
IanSav

IanSav is on a distinguished road

Hi Westener,
Quote:
Originally Posted by westener View Post
There is always an option of using hardware with “Least Cost Routing” capability, I lean more and more towards this option now.
I'll stick with my preferred option of asking Voxalot to fix their servers and procedures so that these outages stop happening. Now that we are paying for the service we should be getting service.

Regards,
Ian.
IanSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSav View Post
...I am being forced to put up with latency issues as the alternative to no service at all.
Latency is the same for all Voxalot proxies when voice packets are routed directly between the two SIP endpoints. This is the best configuration for most Voxalot users. Are you behind symmetric NAT or is there another reason why your voice RTP packets need to go through a Voxalot proxy?

Quote:
Another idea would be to automatically redirect au.voxalot.com (or any other node that is down) to another data centre when there is a fault.
If Voxalot's failover implementation is not supported by your hardware, and reliability is important, you may benefit from using different hardware such as any VoIP hardware from Linksys.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
gotalkvoip

gotalkvoip is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Latency is the same for all Voxalot proxies when voice packets are routed directly between the two SIP endpoints.
If Voxalot's failover implementation is not supported by your hardware, and reliability is important, you may benefit from using different hardware such as any VoIP hardware from Linksys.
Would be nice if someone would explain how to set Voxalot's failover implementation YES ive been to the link and still have no replies to my questions on that page so dont see the point of having Voxalot's failover implementation system when there is no information how to use it,

pretty annoying the AU server being down for almost a whole day and still is,.

love Voxalot and all that but little support would be great for Voxalot's failover implementation system, so I wouldn't care if the AU server is down for a day or 2 as long as there is a backup server to use
gotalkvoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #24
boatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotalkvoip View Post
Would be nice if someone would explain how to set Voxalot's failover implementation YES ...
The procedure to enable DNS SRV failover varies by device. From another post I see that you use something from Sipura, same as Linksys. To use DNS SRV failover in Linksys/Sipura:

1. Set 'Proxy' and 'Outbound Proxy' to the desired Voxalot proxy such as au.voxalot.com.

2. When using DNS SRV one cannot specify any port number after the proxy used in 'Proxy' and 'Outbound Proxy', meaning do not write it this way: au.voxalot.com:5060. This excludes people accessing Voxalot on an alternate SIP port number.

3. A port number should be included with any SIP address used in the Dial Plan or Speed Dial Settings (example; echo@proxy01.sipphone.com:5060)

4. Set 'Use DNS SRV:' yes

5. Set 'DNS SRV Auto Prefix:' yes

6. For faster reaction to a failed proxy set 'Register Expires:' lower, 600 seconds may be the best choice here.

After making these changes all Voxalot proxies will be available for use automatically. The order in which the proxies are preferred will vary depending on which proxy name you have entered in 'Proxy' and 'Outbound Proxy' (us.voxalot.com, eu.voxalot.com, or au.voxalot.com) and of course which proxies are on/off line.

To keep audio latency at a minimum when using a distant proxy, make sure your ATA is sending your public IP address as the RTP contact address, so that voice packets will come directly to your ATA, not via Voxalot's proxy.

To test for correct RTP contact address you should set 'Enable IP Dialing:'=yes then use one of your Speed Dial Settings to call *0@proxy01.sipphone.com:5060 where you will hear a message. If the message says "You are behind a SIP compatible router" that means your ATA sent the correct public IP address as the RTP contact address. On the other hand, if you hear something to the effect of "You may experience call completion problems behind this router" that means you must change some settings in your ATA, I have other posts about exactly what changes to make.
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Hally

Hally is on a distinguished road

I have no service either using Voxalot. I thought it was my router (Billion 7404VGP-M) but I can make outgoing calls bypassing Voxalot.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
gotalkvoip

gotalkvoip is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply, im actually trying to fix my cousins ATA which he uses at his restaurant, wouldn't mind having this failover implementation working instead of bypassing Voxalot as he has relatives from overseas call him with Inum service,.

Anyway followed your instructions and his ATA has registered with Voxalot, though for some reason I can't call his Voxalot number, which should work if registered, only way I can test remotely,. I've played around with other setting below though it won't register,.

So wondering about other settings like,..

Use DNS SRV:yes
DNS SRV Auto Prefix: yes
Proxy: au.voxalot.com
Outbound Proxy: au.voxalot.com

Register Expires:240
Proxy Fallback Intvl: 250
Register: YES
Make Call Without Reg: YES
Ans Call Without Reg: NO
Use Outbound Proxy: GUESSING 'YES'
Use OB Proxy In Dialog: GUESSING 'YES'

Anyway think his is a sipura 2000 model
gotalkvoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
boatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotalkvoip View Post
So wondering about other settings like,..

Use DNS SRV:yes
DNS SRV Auto Prefix: yes
Proxy: au.voxalot.com
Outbound Proxy: au.voxalot.com

Register Expires:240
Proxy Fallback Intvl: 250
Register: YES
Make Call Without Reg: YES
Ans Call Without Reg: NO
Use Outbound Proxy: GUESSING 'YES'
Use OB Proxy In Dialog: GUESSING 'YES'
Some of these settings are not very important, however I would suggest a few changes to what you listed above.
"Register Expires:" would typically be 3600 seconds, but you might want it at 600 seconds in order to respond more quickly to a failed proxy.
"Proxy Fallback Intvl:" 3600
"Ans Call Without Reg:" yes

If your Linksys/Sipura SIP device is behind one or more NAT routers, set the following:

(under SIP tab)
SIP_T1: 1
Handle_VIA_received: yes
Handle_VIA_rport: yes
Insert_VIA_received: yes
Insert_VIA_rport: yes
Substitute_VIA_Addr: yes
Send_Resp_To_Src_Port: yes
STUN_Enable: yes
STUN_Test_Enable: yes
STUN_Server: stun.voxalot.com:3478 (or any STUN server such as 'stun01.sipphone.com:3478' or 'stun.sipgate.net:10000')
NAT_Keep_Alive_Intvl: 179 (if your phone does not always ring on incoming calls try 119 or 59, use highest number that works)

(under Line_1 and Line_2 (or PSTN_Line) tabs)
NAT_Mapping_Enable: yes
NAT_Keep_Alive_Enable: yes
NAT_Keep_Alive_Msg: 0000
NAT_Keep_Alive_Dest: $PROXY
Register Expires: 3600

----------

Optional settings, steps 1 - 4:
Sometimes its preferable to operate the ATA independently of a STUN server. The benefit is that phone service can continue no matter if the STUN server is working. See steps 1 to 4 below.

1. Forward the SIP ports and the RTP port range from the router to the ATA.
2. Set "STUN Enable:" no
3. Set "NAT Keep Alive Enable:" no
4. The ATA must learn it's public IP address, either through normal SIP registration, or place your public IP address in the 'EXT IP:' field).

Last edited by boatman; 10-15-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #28
wildbill

wildbill is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately your fine instructions are unsuitable for IP phones like my Siemens C470Ip.
Does anyone know of a workaround for these along these lines rather than just changing to another cluster - Bill
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #29
IanSav

IanSav is on a distinguished road

Hi Boatman,
Quote:
Latency is the same for all Voxalot proxies when voice packets are routed directly between the two SIP endpoints. This is the best configuration for most Voxalot users. Are you behind symmetric NAT or is there another reason why your voice RTP packets need to go through a Voxalot proxy?
I really don't know why my call quality appears to suffer when I switch away from the Australian servers. I will do some more investigating.
Quote:
Thank you for explaining this feature and teaching me something new. I have found the DNS SVR settings in my Grandstream handsets and activated them. It appears to have things running properly now.

Thank you again for teaching me how to set this up.

Now we just have to hope that Voxalot improves the stability of their Australian servers.

Regards,
Ian.
IanSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #30
tdogg

tdogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another idea would be to automatically redirect au.volalot.com (or any other node that is down) to another data centre when there is a fault. Manually reconfiguring all my handsets every time the Australian server falls over is a total pain.
+1 to this!

the links here about DNS whatever it is for failover is way over my head. I think especially since we are paying for this service that an automated failover to other servers on voxalots end would be very fair and reasonable to expect or at least request.
tdogg is offline   Reply With Quote