Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
wilsonhlacerda

wilsonhlacerda is on a distinguished road
Default VoXaLot not working with PBXes (VoXaLot as an extension of PBXes)

Hi all.

As I can not have VoXaLot registered to one of my providers
(see this here: http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...egistered.html )
I created a free PBXes account in order to have it as a bridge between my provider and VoXaLot (just create an extension in PBXes, register VoXaLot to it and create a trunk in PBXes to you provider with all inbound calls routing to the extension). This can be an useful temporary solution for all of you that have the same problem with VoXaLot.
Everything worked fine for a day or two. But now I'm having some problems with VoXaLot that maybe you can help me: there's no audio.

Well, just for a while forget the "bridge". The problem is more generic: VoXaLot is not properly handling codecs when receiving a call from PBXes. I created 2 extensions in PBXes: 200 and 300. I registered VoXaLot to 300 and I have an ATA registered to VoXaLot. I registered X-PRO softphone to extension 200. If I call from my ATA to extension 200 (voxalot -> pbxes) evething work fine. BUT if I call from my X-PRO to extension 300 (pbxes -> voxalot) my ATA rings but there's no audio. I can see in X-PRO that there's no codec set for the voip connection (none of them gets that square around it in the X-PRO display).
This happen no matter if I put only G729 or only iLBC or all codecs in VoXaLot. And also no matter if I select yes/no in the "audio bypass" options in PBXes or "Enable symmetric NAT handling" option in VoXaLot.

What's strange is that everything worked fine for a day or two and now it definitely do not work. And all of my tests suggests it is a problem within VoXaLot now.

Do you have VoXaLot working fine as an extension of PBXes? Can someone help me?

Last edited by wilsonhlacerda; 04-12-2007 at 07:40 AM.
wilsonhlacerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
wycodreams

wycodreams is on a distinguished road

i have same problem
wycodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
mgoebel

mgoebel is on a distinguished road
Default Try to call from outside!

Sometimes things just behave weird when all your SIP devices are running over the same broadband connection, when e. g. your ATA and your softphone are running over the same DSL connection. Maybe because they are in the same IP range then.

You definitely have to check your devices by receiving calls from outside. Just call the two PBXes extensions with your mobile phone or from a friends phone! Often everything works finde then.

At least that solved my problem with another SIP provider and Voxalot. At home a had the weirdest problems. So I was running many several tests with softphones and my ATA. But then I realized that my friends from outside my network could call me without problems.

I don't know if this solves your problem, but you should give it a try.
mgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
wilsonhlacerda

Thanks El_Condor, but unfortunately that's where all the problems have started.
I meam....I've done this softphone/ATA test - and confirmed the problem - just because I had realized that when receiving a call from outside I was having an audio problem.

As I wrote above, I'm using PBXes just as a bridge between my provider and VoXaLot. I myself put a call to a PSTN access number of the provider and dialed my account ID. The call goes ok to PBXes and rings VoXaLot extension 300, so my ATA rings. When I answer the call in the ATA there's no audio in both directions. Graphically it is this way:
mobile ==> PSTN access number ==> VoIP provider ==> PBXes trunk ==> PBXes extension 300 ==> VoXaLot ==> ATA

If I do just the same but redirecting the inbound calls to the X-PRO extension 200 everything work fine. Graphically it is this way:
mobile ==> PSTN access number ==> VoIP provider ==> PBXes trunk ==> PBXes extension 200 ==> X-PRO

All of this can be easily monitored with the PBXes "status" feature plus the softphone display.

The soptphone <==> PBXex <==> VoXaLot <==> ATA test was just to have the VoIP provider out of the procedures and confirm that it is a problem of VoXaLot with PBXes only.

Thanks anyway.

Any other thoughts?
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
wilsonhlacerda

I've just done another test that can help:

Using my ATA I left my VoXaLot line occupied. Then I called from the X-PRO extension 200 to VoXaLot extension 300. As expected VoXaLot automatically answered the call (voicemail). I saw this in PBXes status. Just like the other times I saw in the X-PRO display that no codec was selected. I couldn't hear my voicemail greetings. I waited 30 seconds and hung up. Then I checked my VoXaLot voicemail and I saw that it recorded a "zero length" message (registered date, time, but no recorded voice message itself). That means: no audio on both sides. Graphically it is this way:
X-PRO ==> PBXes extension 200 ==> PBXes extension 300 ==> VoXaLot ==> VoXaLot voicemail

Now there's only PBXes and VoXaLot in the test, what clearly show the problem starts here.
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
mgoebel

Default Damn'd zero length calls!

I know these zero length calls and I hate them. Two days ago I got 16 of them because there were problems between my ATA and Sipgate. Also I got some between Voxalot and Tpad.

All those problems still make me shy away from PBXes. I suppose it will bring more of those problems to me. I use about 20 different VoIP services with their respective phone numbers. My idea is to concentrate them all in 1 voxalot account which would then be ringing a PBXes account. People would then call me on my German number from Sipgate or one of the dozens of inbound numbers by Tpad. For outbound calls I would use Voipstunt's cheap prices.

But I hear about so many problems between the companies involved in this scenario so that I still don't want to set it up. Your latest message makes it even worse.
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Condor View Post
My idea is to concentrate them all in 1 voxalot account which would then be ringing a PBXes account.
Out of curiosity, why do you need the PBXes account in this scenario? Doesn'y Voxalot alone allow you to achieve this?

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
mgoebel

Default Why do you need the PBXes account in this scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you need the PBXes account in this scenario? Doesn'y Voxalot alone allow you to achieve this?
As you might have seen here I am interested in a worldwide calltrough:

http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...h-voxalot.html
Call-In with local numbers from SIP Broker or Tpad and Call-Out with Voipstunt. This would mean that I would have local Call-In numbers in the entire world. I could call the world for the price of a local call wherever I am.

I travel a lot and want to use my cheap callout rates from Voipstunt wherever I am. Also it would be theoretically possible to let my friends from abroad use these cheap rates for the price of a local call.

Of course I would prefer to do that all with Voxalot or your new product VoxRoam. I spent too much time in VoIP installations.
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Condor View Post
I travel a lot and want to use my cheap callout rates from Voipstunt wherever I am. Also it would be theoretically possible to let my friends from abroad use these cheap rates for the price of a local call.

Of course I would prefer to do that all with Voxalot or your new product VoxRoam. I spent too much time in VoIP installations.
Then try using the Voxalot callback.

In many cases, you can find a cheaper incoming rate for the phone number you are at than it's own outgoing tariff, especially from hotel rooms or callboxes.

eg - 2 legs of a call at Voipstunt rates will be free between about 40 countries' landlines, well free for the first couple of hundred minutes a week then 2 cents a minute

You don't need any VoIP hardware at all.

query to Martin - do you think the Voxalot and Betamax improvements will also allow a Sipbroker ID to be forwarded to a Betamax account? Or was this possible anyway and I just blundered the attempt?
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
mgoebel

Default Is there also a real callback? No web callback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Then try using the Voxalot callback.
This sounds quite interesting!

But until now I found only Voxalot's Web Callback and the Mobile Callback. Both involve websites where you put your number and the one you want to call.

A "real" callback does not need any web site. You ring a number, hang up and then the number calls you back. Then you can put in the number you want to call and use the cheap prices of your VoIP provider.

Is this possible with Voxalot?

In many poor countries people have telephone but no internet. Also the data prices for mobile phones are high. So a "real" callback with Voxalot would be very welcome. But I did not find this function in the tutorial.