Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 08-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
craig

craig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the rough
Default VoxFox beta - Firefox web callback extension

I need a couple of volunteers to test a new Firefox extension that can be used to initiate a web-callback via voxalot. All you have to do is highlight a phone number on any web page, right-click and select the Call Via Voxalot menu item.

So, if you:
  • Use firefox (1.5 and 2.0 are both supported)
  • Have already subscribed to premium (as web-callback is a premium feature)
  • Be prepared to spend some time trying to break it.

If you believe that you are able to help, please send me a PM with your member id, version of Firefox you use, and your operating system. In return, you will get a URL to download the extension and some simple instructions on how to use.

To whet your appetite, I have attached a screenshot to show you what it will look like.

--
craig
Attached Images
File Type: png voxfox.PNG (7.3 KB, 74 views)
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Okay, I have installed the add-on.

I didn't expect the web callback page to start up ... I thought it would simple do the dialing, perhaps pop up a new tab or window. What I found is that the tab that has the number I wish to call is loaded over the top with the web call back page. If you are calling someone via a phone number on their webpage, then you may want to keep the website in question open for reference during the call.

Edit1: A mini-web callback pop up windows would probably suit better.
Edit2: Okay, I re-read the PM, it said about the web callback page coming up, but I think 'edit1' would be better.

Last edited by affinity; 08-20-2007 at 01:49 PM.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
wmp

wmp is on a distinguished road

When I select a phone number that begins with a * such as *600 or *266300, the * gets dropped in the Web Call Back page. "Normal" phone numbers are working as expected.
wmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
craig

craig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity View Post
I didn't expect the web callback page to start up ... I thought it would simple do the dialing, perhaps pop up a new tab or window.
Thanks for the feedback so far. The final released product will open a new tab (as I am relatively new to the firefox extension API, I just need to work out the appropriate function to call).

I did consider using a popup, however, I am very conscious that many people hate popups. Perhaps in V2.0, I will give a choice in the configuration panel: popup, new tab, new window, same window.

--
Craig
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmp View Post
When I select a phone number that begins with a * such as *600 or *266300, the * gets dropped in the Web Call Back page. "Normal" phone numbers are working as expected.
I do some judicious trimming for phone numbers and SIP URIs to make them presentable, but completely forgot to include support for SIP Broker SIP codes. Hmmm... how embarrassing!! Thanks for the heads-up.

--
craig
Unread 08-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Very slick, Craig. Saves having to do all the keying to set up a call.

I would definitely prefer to have VoxFox open up a new Tab rather than opening up the WebCallback screen in the same tab.
I am not too crazy about pop-ups.

As noted by wmp, VoxFox strips out all the "*" in the number string (not just the leading one).

Unrelated to VoxFox, I discovered that Voxalot SmartCall does not handle 6 digit extensions, although I can dial a 6 digit number (Voxalot extension) from my phone and the call gets connected.
An easy work around is to add a modification in the dial plan to add *010 in front of 6 digit numbers.

Last edited by kurun; 08-21-2007 at 03:20 AM.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. The final released product will open a new tab (as I am relatively new to the firefox extension API, I just need to work out the appropriate function to call).

I did consider using a popup, however, I am very conscious that many people hate popups. Perhaps in V2.0, I will give a choice in the configuration panel: popup, new tab, new window, same window.
Generally I hate popups too, but if it is an expected one or from a site that I allow for the popup, well that is a different matter.

Edit [ again ;-) ]
- the popup shouldn't happen unless I initiate it, sites that popup advertising or other pages without any action by me to cause it are very annoying -- although I have another exception here and that is the popup informing me of a new PM or similar when I return to a forum.

And being a 'mini' popup without the full content of the web callback page, it should be nice and neat.

Your configurability ideas sound perfect.

Last edited by affinity; 08-21-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Unread 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
ozimarco

Location: Lower Chittering, about an hour from Perth, Western Australia
ozimarco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ozimarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity View Post
And being a 'mini' popup without the full content of the web callback page, it should be nice and neat.
I have only just come across this thread, otherwise I would have volunteered, too. A big thanks to Craig for creating this Firefox add-on.

I would also like to add my vote for a small self-initiated pop-up. If the 'call immediately' field is ticked, there is probably no need for a pop-up at all.

Last edited by ozimarco; 08-21-2007 at 07:09 AM.
ozimarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
mgoebel

mgoebel is on a distinguished road

My Firefox opens popups as a new tab in the background, because normally I don't want to see any popups but sometimes they are important. Some popups are so nasty to resize my entire browser. Firefox suddenly gets very small and that's very annoying. Other popups don't do that. It would be kind of you to program "well behaving" popups.
mgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
affinity

Yes popups that don't force any nasty changes are essential. Resizing other windows is a definite no-no but it is usally also best to ALLOW the popped up window to be manually resized if so desired -- many popups don't allow you to adjust it's sizing.