Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 06-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
mimecine

mimecine is on a distinguished road
Default no ringing tones

I got a curious problem that I don't know how to fix:

If I don't have an extension logged in to the account, the caller
hears no 'ringing' tone.

I.e. if my Nokia e61 is off or not within WiFI , a caller to my swedish
did hears nothing for 30 seconds, then my voicemail prompt, but if
my phone is on, they do hear ringing before I answer or they end up with voicemail.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is this an issue with my swedish
vsp (affinity telecom (really rixport80.com)) or is it something voxalot
can fix (or I for that matter!)

Thankful for any pointers in any direction -- don't even know what to search
for yet.

My account is 885522 should you need that...
mimecine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
clundestad

clundestad is on a distinguished road

I have had the same problem with my Nokia E70, but I believe it's because when you move out of WLAN coverage, your phone's registration is still valid and Voxalot will try to get in touch with it for 30 seconds before giving up and sending the call to voicemail. When the registration has timed out after 30 minutes or so, calls will be sent straight to voicemail.

Perhaps Martin can confirm that this is the case.

I have solved this by having my ATA on and registered at home at all times. This way I avoid getting the effect you describe. Instead my home phone will always ring and the caller will not get the "silent treatment". Of course, if my E70 is on and registered through a WLAN, it will also ring and I can answer the call there.
clundestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
majo

majo is on a distinguished road
Default Registration timeout!!!!!!!!

May be in provider configuration page there should be registration timeout. So server should send requests & unregister if client does not repond, so server knows that client is active or dead...

Regards.

majo
majo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
mimecine

Quote:
Originally Posted by clundestad View Post
I have solved this by having my ATA on and registered at home at all times. This way I avoid getting the effect you describe. Instead my home phone will always ring and the caller will not get the "silent treatment". Of course, if my E70 is on and registered through a WLAN, it will also ring and I can answer the call there.
I have to dig out my ATA and try that, but it seems like it would take care of it. It would of course be nice to be able to set a timeout from voxalot's interface or even fake a ringtone while looking, but it might be hard to do.

UPDATE: I did set up the ATA, but now no calls goes through it seems. No ringer anywhere...

Last edited by mimecine; 06-19-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Unread 06-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
mimecine

Default merde

Damn, now no calls go through it seems I shut down my ATA and powercycled my Nokia E61 (and have waited a long time) but whenever I call a number I have to wait 30 seconds of silencio and then voicemail. Bummer. Does voxalot have some sort of status-page where one could see what registered clients and providers there are / who's active etc...?

UPDATE: now it works again. I wish I had more control over this, it kind of makes me uneasy having to wait for registrations timing out etc. I guess that's one of the big drawbacks with voip in it's current state...

Last edited by mimecine; 06-19-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Unread 06-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimecine View Post
UPDATE: now it works again. I wish I had more control over this, it kind of makes me uneasy having to wait for registrations timing out etc. I guess that's one of the big drawbacks with voip in it's current state...
The Providers page shows the registration status of a provider, usually with a few minutes delay.
The registration expiration duration is not shown, however Voxalot renews registration every 3600s as default.

It has been posted here that you can force a new registration attempt by toggling SIP register to No and back to Yes.

Typically, you can easily tell if a SIP device (ATA, Phone, or softphone) is registered by checking the IP phone screen, logging in to the status page on the device, absence of dial tone, or other information on the softphone.

Some VSPs do post the registered device and IP address, but in general I have not seen this as a problem with wired or mobile devices I have used.
I have not used a Nokia E61.

Last edited by kurun; 06-21-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: To add quote from replied to posting for clarity
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
mimecine

I think the problem is not whether or not the providers are registered, but whether the clients (or maybe they should be called extensions) are.