Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 07-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #21
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebie View Post
For registrations, does voxalot send a timely packet to ensure the connection is still registered i.e. OPTIONS packet? If so, (if I may ask) how often is it sent?
We don't send an OPTIONS message we send the REGISTER message only.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #22
tdogg

tdogg is on a distinguished road

hey, just want to say thanks to all who are trying to find a fix for this iinet voxalot issue.

i too use iinet, and would love to be able to easily switch to iinet as a backup and when i am shaped, to use their free-zone unshaped downloads for voip.

good luck finding a solution!

my temporary fix, as obvious as it may be, is when you are shaped and want to use iinet, switch over your routers voip config page to register direct to iinet, and then switch back when you are unshaped. if you have saved config files for your router it shouldn't take more than a minute or 2.
tdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #23
tdogg

tdogg is on a distinguished road

i've been trying to get some discussion about this happening at the whirlpool forums, in particular trying to talk to iinet reps. nothing much yet, but the thread is here:

iinet issue with voxalot - iiNet - Whirlpool Broadband Forums

and i've had a bit of response in priviate messages from an iinet rep "prk".

i showed him excerpts from this thread, and, well here's the convo:

-----
prk -
Our VoIP systems are designed and tested with end user registration to the SIP servers.

They're not designed or tested for use with a third party proxy like Voxalot, so there's no guarantee it will work, and it's well outside the scope of anything we support.

There are so many things it could be (NAT related where the SBC thinks voxalot is a router, DoS prevention due to a user via voxalot sending too many invalid messages, etc).
------
me -
"AFAIK iiNet require the use of an 'Outbound (OB) Proxy'. Their reasoning behind this is that it makes billing easier, as all connections to their VoIP system (outbound) come from their own proxy, and they can authenticate their own users easier. This practice is generally frowned upon by other VoIP providers (Engin, PennyTel) as it is not necessary if the VoIP infrastructure is configured correctly, and causes issues (as seen by this thread) on any hardware/software that uses multiple registrations.
It is possible to use iiNet VoIP from another provider's connection (assuming you have an ATA/IPPhone/Softphone that can set the proxy), albeit without QoS. However, VoxaLot do not (currently) support the use of an OB Proxy on registrations."

is it correct, to your knowledge? i don't really understand any of it.
------
prk -
Forcing the OB proxy doesn't sound right.

We do force the use of a Session Border Controller, which acts as a gateway between the real SIP server, and the outside network - that's the sip.<state>.iinet.net.au address.
------
me -
the weird thing is when i first registered it it worked for about an hour, only then it started giving the engaged tone. i reset some settings in voxalot, tried again, and it worked at first, but then again it later reverts to the engaged tone after a few minutes. it gave me the impression iinet was trying to stop this from happening, but i can't understand why they would, it would detract from usage, and therefore profit.
------
prk -
The fact it works at first, then resorts to the engaged tone, suggests to me that it's something to do with keepalives.

The SBCs detect for NAT by comparing the packet the registration comes from, to the IP address specified in SIP packet. If the two are different, it sets a keepalive down to 90 seconds (or about that) so that your phone should always be sending re-registers to keep the NAT hole open on your router.

Depending on how Voxalot handle that, it could describe what you're seeing - initial registration works, keepalives time out, connection goes unregistered.
------

that's all so far. most of it goes over my head! but some of you voxalot tech heads might be able to sort something out of this, i hope anyway.
tdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #24
Rico74

Rico74 is on a distinguished road

This is just a quick post to say that some time ago I gave up on getting my Voxalot config to work with iiNetPhone. At the moment I have my VoIP router setup directly with iiNetPhone and I use a soft-phone with Voxalot.

I would be great if I could get rid of the soft-phone and just use a normal phone, particularly for the inbound calls.

Martin, is there anyway that Voxalot could get iiNetPhone working - like what has happened with Betamax? From what people have been saying, this is a technical issue (albeit one of iiNet's making) - not a policy issue. Is there some way Voxalot could be modified so that registrations with VSP's like iiNetPhone could be persistent.
Rico74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

I have a NakeDSL connection on the trial with iiNet. They gave me a VoIP account. If Martin wants to involve me with testing (whilst this service is still available to me), that will be great.

So far, I found that registration and incoming calls to the DID work fine, but outgoing calls always fail -- web call back shows 'congestion', same as Exetel's VoIP. Perhaps these are both set up the same or similarly behind the scenes.

Calls to the service using a SIP URI do not work (tried both the "SIP Domain" and the "SIP Server" domains). The only thing that does work is calling the DID.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote