Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
green

green will become famous soon enough
Default Voxalot not responding to OPTIONS

Asterisk as other SIP UAs is using OPTIONS as a keep alive and/or link monitoring tool.
Just noticed that 2 Voxalot servers are replying 200 OK for some time and after a few minutes - no reply

Code:
Retransmitting #4 (no NAT) to 85.17.19.194:5060:
OPTIONS sip:eu.voxalot.com SIP/2.0

Retransmitting #4 (no NAT) to 194.110.67.221:5060:
OPTIONS sip:eu.voxalot.com SIP/2.0
There is no problem with the initial registrations, also OPTIONS are working for a few minutes after sip reload. After not receiving reply on OPTIONS Asterisk is considering peers down.
green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Is your Asterisk behind a NAT router? Can you change the time interval between OPTIONS? I suspect Voxalot proxy thinks you are sending SIP packets too often, then cuts you off. I know the Gizmo5 proxy will do that, not sure about Voxalot. Maybe stop using OPTIONS, instead register every 299 seconds, or 1 second less than your router's NAT expiration time.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
green

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
instead register every 299 seconds, or 1 second less than your router's NAT expiration time.
Voxalot does not allow to have register expire less then 600 sec.
My router's NAT expiration time is 180 sec which is quite typical value.
Setting qualifyfreq=170 (seconds) does not help as well (default is 60 sec).
Thanks!

Last edited by green; 06-10-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Unread 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
green

Any chance that somebody from Voxalot team will react?

I don't think I'm the only person who have this problem Voxalot due to this situation with the quite common NAT keepalive method.
There is no need in receiving a reply in order to have NAT pinhole open, so it is still possible to receive incoming calls from Voxalot. But it is not possible to use the same trunk in Asterisk for placing calls to Voxalot, because Asterisk will mark Voxalot server unreachable.

Last edited by green; 06-10-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Green, is this problem new....as in it started in the last little while...or have you had it before...

I am worndering if the issue is just the new EU proxy?
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
green

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Green, is this problem new....as in it started in the last little while...or have you had it before...
I never had such a problem before, I had the same configuration for quite a long time. I noticed the issue on the day I initially posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
I am worndering if the issue is just the new EU proxy?
Yes, I think so. As you may see from the initial post 2 servers are behaving the same, those servers are:
proxy02.eu1.voxalot.com
proxy01.eu1.voxalot.com

I had 2 registrations to Voxalot and probably one of the peers took the failover way. As a result I've got 2 addresses in my log.
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
boatman

If other methods (to maintain an open NAT route) don't succeed, you might try registering every 179 seconds. Even though the proxy will record the registration for 600 seconds and return "expires=600", it will accept another registration before the first has expired. A better solution would be to forward some ports in the router, but of course this is not always possible.

Maybe someday there will be a real NAT-keep-alive module written for Asterisk. A proper NAT-keep-alive module would allow a choice of time interval, and allow sending of empty packets which are better for NAT-keep-alive because they don't add load to the proxy by causing it to respond.
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
green

Quote:
If other methods (to maintain an open NAT route) don't succeed, you might try registering every 179 seconds. Even though the proxy will record the registration for 600 seconds and return "expires=600", it will accept another registration before the first has expired.
No, Asterisk is following "expires=600" it received from voxalot, so it will not re-register earlier.

Quote:
Maybe someday there will be a real NAT-keep-alive module written for Asterisk. A proper NAT-keep-alive module would allow a choice of time interval, and allow sending of empty packets which are better for NAT-keep-alive because they don't add load to the proxy by causing it to respond.
What load?! There are providers who have much more subscribers than voxalot and they are still allowing 60 sec register expirations and they have no problems with OPTIONS or NOTIFY keepalives.

So for me the logical choice will be switch from voxalot to more predictable service. I already replaced all my voxalot URIs I used with e164.org, also changed my DID forwardings to another URI. Very disappointed.

Last edited by green; 06-12-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Unread 06-13-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Hi green,

Voxalot does not have any limitations or restrictions on the number and / or frequency of OPTIONS messages.

As suggested by others in this thread, I suspect the reason you are not seeing the replies after a few minutes is due to the OPTIONS message requests load balancing between EU1 and EU2 and after a short period of time, your router is closing down the keep alives.

One suggestion is to reconfigure your setup to point directly to one of the EU proxies i.e.

proxy01.eu1.voxalot.com or proxy02.eu1.voxalot.com instead of eu.voxalot.com

Let us know if this helps?

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
boatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
What load?! There are providers who have much more subscribers than voxalot and they are still allowing 60 sec register expirations and they have no problems with OPTIONS or NOTIFY keepalives.
For example, the Gizmo5 proxy (proxy01.sipphone.com) has been heavily loaded with SIP packets in the past. Asterisk is used with many different proxies so it would make sense for Asterisk to have an actual keep-alive function. For purposes of keep-alive, there's no benefit to using OPTIONS or NOTIFY instead of empty packets.