Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's

Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's Tips and Tricks for Voxalot

Unread 07-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough
Default HowTo: 6 Steps To Tune Your Voice Quality

For those of you interested in performance tuning your audio please check out this new tutorial:

HowTo: 6 Steps To Optimize Your Audio

Please post any comments / questions in this thread.

Thanks.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
amroe

amroe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to amroe Send a message via AIM to amroe Send a message via MSN to amroe Send a message via Yahoo to amroe Send a message via Skype™ to amroe
Smile Number 7

Step Number 7 and it should be No. 1 is the ping Command , like me in Jerusalem see the Following tests ::::

ping average to au.voxalot.com is 587ms

ping average to us.voxalot.com is 214ms

ping average to eu.voxalot.com is 130ms

So the Best One is the European Server
amroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
hust

hust is on a distinguished road

Hi, martin

What is the exact meaning of "Symmetric NAT Handling" field on the Member Details page?

if this field is yes, does Voxalot act as both STUN server and OUTBOUND proxy server? or only act as OUTBOUND proxy server?

I find that if i set this field to "no", i can not call "*600" successfully though i have set a STUN server(x-ten STUN server) in my ATA(my ATA is behind NAT).My router is Netgear WGR614(v6),it should not be symmetric NAT.

Thanks.

Last edited by hust; 08-06-2007 at 04:04 PM.
hust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hust View Post
What is the exact meaning of "Symmetric NAT Handling" field on the Member Details page?
The Voxalot servers have built in logic that can detect whether or not they need to alter the client messages and/or proxy the voice stream.

When you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No" it basically tells Voxalot to disable this logic.

If you have "Symmetric NAT Handling" set to "No" and *600 does not work, then something is not quite right on your client.

Unread 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
hust

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
The Voxalot servers have built in logic that can detect whether or not they need to alter the client messages and/or proxy the voice stream.

When you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No" it basically tells Voxalot to disable this logic.
Just now, i have confirmed my NAT(Netgear wgr614v6) is cone NAT type, not symmetric NAT type. My ATA SPA-3102 is behind the NAT.

After that, I set "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "yes" on the Member Details page , and i disabled stun server and kept outbound proxy blank in my ATA. I find that i can make call via Voxalot successfully.

My understanding is:

1.Whether your ATA is behind cone NAT type or symmetric NAT type,if i you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "yes" ,Voxalot will act as OUTBOUND proxy server even that you have disabled stun server and kept outbound proxy blank in your ATA.

2.if i you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "no" , only when your ATA has a public IP address or your ATA is behind cone NAT , can you have chance to optimize your voice route. If your ATA is behind symmetric NAT,you have not any way to optimize your voice route ,even that you can not make any call via Voxalot.

Are these correct?

Thanks.
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
martin

Quote:
1.Whether your ATA is behind cone NAT type or symmetric NAT type,if i you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "yes" ,Voxalot will act as OUTBOUND proxy server even that you have disabled stun server and kept outbound proxy blank in your ATA.

2.if i you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "no" , only when your ATA has a public IP address or your ATA is behind cone NAT , can you have chance to optimize your voice route. If your ATA is behind symmetric NAT,you have not any way to optimize your voice route ,even that you can not make any call via Voxalot.

Are these correct?

Thanks.
1. Yes, however even with "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "yes" Voxalot will attempt to optimize the voice route however if it can not, it will fall back to proxying the voice.

2. Yes and No. Setting "Symmetric NAT Handling" field to "no" disables the logic I outlined above. Once disabled, the only way you will get 2-way voice is if external IP addresses are passed to Voxalot by the client either directly or indirectly by using something like STUN on the client.

Unread 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
JeFFJuH

JeFFJuH will become famous soon enough

Setting "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No" causes a dead line when I try to establish a call.

Setting "Optimize Audio Path" to "Yes" causes the audio to skip, and so the audio drops after a few seconds.

My situation: Siemens C45 (DECT handset) > Siemens C450IP (DECT VoIP gateway) > Linksys WRT54G v2.2 w/ Tomato firmware > Motorola SBV5120E cable modem

Last edited by JeFFJuH; 08-08-2007 at 10:27 AM.
JeFFJuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
hust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeFFJuH View Post
Setting "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No" causes a dead line when I try to establish a call.

My situation: Siemens C45 (DECT handset) > Siemens C450IP (DECT VoIP gateway) > Linksys WRT54G v2.2 w/ Tomato firmware > Motorola SBV5120E cable modem
You may check your NAT type at first if you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No".

You can download a software tool "winstun" to check your NAT type.
here:SourceForge.net: Files

Last edited by hust; 08-08-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Unread 08-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
JeFFJuH

JeFFJuH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You may check your NAT type at first if you set "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No".

You can download a software tool "winstun" to check your NAT type.
here:SourceForge.net: Files
Thanks. I got this message:

Quote:
Nat with Independend Mapping and Port Dependent Filter - VoIP will work with STUN
Preserves port number
Does not supports hairpin of media
Public IP address: 83.83.xxx.xxx
I have set "Symmetric NAT Handling" to "No" now, and have set-up STUN in my VoIP device.
Could anyone explain to me what the difference is between "Symmetric NAT Handling" and "STUN"?

Last edited by JeFFJuH; 08-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.
JeFFJuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeFFJuH View Post
Could anyone explain to me what the difference is between "Symmetric NAT Handling" and "STUN"?
Hi Martin, Could you please explain a little bit the difference between using STUN or using the Voxalot "Symmetric NAT Handling" for NAT traversal, the pros and cons, and when is it more appropriate to use one method versus the other?

Thanks
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote