Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
occamsrazor

occamsrazor is on a distinguished road
Default SIP Register (if unsure set to NO) - what effect?

Hi,

Can someone please explain what effect the following choice makes in the provider setup:

SIP Register (if unsure set to NO)

Thanks,

Ben
occamsrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

If you set SIP Register to "YES", then you can receive incoming calls from that provider once the registration is succesful -- if you are only intending to make outgoing calls, then you need not set it to "YES" although some providers require registration before you can make a call though, most do not).

Now, if your VSP offers SIP URI forwarding, then there is even less likelihood that you will need to actually register the account. The forwarded SIP URI can point to your voxalot account directly.

Hope things are clearer for you now.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
occamsrazor

So if Sip Register is set to "NO", then you definitely won't be able to receive any incoming calls? This would explain the problem I was having here:

http://forum.voxalot.com/showthread.php?t=1181

Perhaps I am just being dumb, but I think that's a bit confusing... The "if unsure set to NO" makes one think not to set it to yes unless you understand what it does, of which there was nothing in the FAQ I could find e.g. here:

http://voxalot.com/action/static?tas...lay&itemOID=22

Perhaps the "if unsure set to NO" should be changed to ""if unsure set to NO, unless you will be receiving incoming calls" or such like.

Anyway, thank you very much for helping me to fix the problem I was having...

Cheers, Ben
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
maxalot

maxalot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
Perhaps the "if unsure set to NO" should be changed to ""if unsure set to NO, unless you will be receiving incoming calls" or such like.
Or perhaps we could just cut to the chase and have "To receive incoming calls set to YES"
maxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
affinity

"To receive incoming calls directly from this provider, set to YES".

If you can fwd using SIP URI from the VSP, then do that in preference.
Unread 03-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
occamsrazor

"If you can fwd using SIP URI from the VSP, then do that in preference."

Could you explain what exactly you mean & why this is preferential to using "Sip Register = YES"?

Thanks for all the help,

Ben
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
affinity

Well it's like this.

One of the most significant resource hungry requirements of voxalot is the registration of VSP accounts for users; if users are able to lessen the load on voxalot by not registering accounts just because they can, then it has got to help voxalot cope better with resource requirements.

This could be a problem if:
  • your provider requires the account to be registered for you to make calls or
  • your provider does not offer any form of SIP URI forwarding.

Outgoing calls are setup with the credentials of your provider (as supplied by you) at the time of making the authenticated call; this is far more efficient that doing constant registrations and the renewals required to remain registered.

Another potential issue, and this has caused problems with at least one provider, is having too many registrations come from the same IP address. In such cases, the VSP may block voxalot either via flood control mechanisms which makes it's use with voxalot less reliable or they may choose to ban voxalot's IPs completely thus making the VSP fail to work with voxalot at all.

Last edited by affinity; 03-08-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
tomblandford

tomblandford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tomblandford

Thanks for that interesting explanation affinity. I'm going to remove the registration on one of my accounts that I never use for incoming. I just put it there coz it has an incoming number, even though I never use it!

I tried PBXes before voxalot but it didn't work coz they had already been blocked by Betamax. So I would suggest to anyone with Betamax as a provider, who doesn't have an incoming number in use:

SET SIP REGISTER TO NO FOR ALL BETAMAX PROVIDERS (VoipDiscount, VoipCheap, VoipBuster, SipDiscount etc etc).

otherwise voxalot might get blocked by them too
tomblandford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
occamsrazor

I have my Betamax (Poivy) account already set to "NO", but my SipGate account set to "YES" in order to get calls on an incoming number.

Are you just saying set it to "NO" for all non-incoming accounts?
Or are you also saying there is a way to set it to "NO" for an incoming account by using SIP URI forwarding at the incoming provider end.... in which case can you advise how to do this (sorry I don't understand what SIP URI forwarding actually is) and whether you know if it is possible with SipGate.

Cheers,

Ben
Unread 03-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
tomblandford

tomblandford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tomblandford

I was only saying that for Betamax accounts so that they don't go and block voxalot like they did with pbxes.com. It's only my view - don't take it as gospel!

No, I don't know how to get SIP URI forwarding with Sipgate, but I would hope that Sipgate would be more responsible and not block voxalot. I still have my Sipgate account registered.
tomblandford is offline   Reply With Quote