Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 02-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #1

667366 is on a distinguished road
Question Connections settings for Skype

Hi guys, anyone know what settings I should be using for configuring Skype as one of my providers (port, host, etc)
Thanks a lot!
667366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

See here:
http://www.affinityvision.com.au/voi....html#service2
- this is a works in progress page, but it expains why Skype is not a good thing....
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #3

Default Still need the settings for Skype

I realize and understand that many people might not want to use Skype for obvious and also apparente reasons, however, I do need the settings because even though I mightnot use Skype on my PC frequently, I do have a plan with Skype for unlimited calls to the US and Canada for the rest of this year, and so I want to be able to use that with my Voxalot account. Thank you for your help.
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667366 View Post
I do have a plan with Skype for unlimited calls to the US and Canada for the rest of this year, and so I want to be able to use that with my Voxalot account.
You can't do what you want with VoXaLot. This is because Skype uses a proprietary approach to VoIP, that is incompatible with most of the rest of the VoIP community, including VoXaLot.

Skype can be used on the same network (or even the same computer) as you use other VoIP (including VoXaLot) with, but you still have to use Skype hardware/software to access Skype. I know of no way to access Skype via VoXaLot, as the technologies aren't currently compatible (blame the Skype designers for this, as they deliberately chose to do things in a way incompatible with other VoIP). And worse yet, Skype won't even release the details of their protocol to the public, for others to write software compatible with Skype. As such, even if we had the time to write custom code (for VoXaLot) to support Skype, it wouldn't be an option anyway (as we don't have the needed technical details of the Skype protocol)...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
ygeffens

ygeffens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I realize and understand that many people might not want to use Skype for obvious and also apparente reasons, however, I do need the settings because even though I mightnot use Skype on my PC frequently, I do have a plan with Skype for unlimited calls to the US and Canada for the rest of this year, and so I want to be able to use that with my Voxalot account. Thank you for your help.
Maybe this is something you can use?

http://www.nch.com.au/skypetosip/index.html

It needs a running PC however.
ygeffens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Apart from the previous replies, that it isn't possible to use Skype with any SIP-based systems, make sure you understand that unlimited plan.

It is for calls within the US and Canada. Your choice of wording, to, makes me wonder if you are calling there from elsewhere, and if so you will be disappointed as such calls are not included and will be charged if you are outside the US and Canada.

There are several complaints in the Skype forums from people who have fallen for this semantic ambiguity, eg a US serviceman calling home from Iraq; you'd have thought the services would have set up pseudo-US IP addresses there anyway.

If you are abroad, and depending how many calls you make, you might be interested in the Betamax companies, perhaps VoipbusterPro if you make two or three long calls home per week

Apologies if I've read too much into a couple of words and this waffle is irrelevant.

Last edited by andy; 02-25-2007 at 02:54 PM.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #7

Default I'm actually in the US

Thank you guys for all the advice. I do use voipbuster and voipdiscount for my international calls, but wanted to use Skype for my US/Canada calls, yes, I know thy're free with voipbuster/discount, but I figure hey, what the hell you know?

Once again, thanks for your responses.
Unread 02-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
jmartina

jmartina is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting thing

On of my providers use a sip to skype gateway, and with it I am able to call any skype user I want, but not recieve calls from skype.

Well, doesn't matter, because I can not use it with vox a lot. For some reason voxalot does not forward my speed dials with skype related coamnds to this voip provider.
jmartina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartina View Post
On of my providers use a sip to skype gateway, and with it I am able to call any skype user I want, but not recieve calls from skype.
Does this provider rely on you running your Skype account with your PC on, or can it do this separately? If the latter, could you please tell me which company?
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
jmartina

jmartina is on a distinguished road

It is not running my account, but theirs. It is output only. you can not recieve incomming call via skype. The provider is www.vono.net.br
jmartina is offline   Reply With Quote