Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Williamz

Williamz is on a distinguished road
Default Provider's registration lost (premium accounts)

I have a premium account, 601331 and I use eu.voxalot.com

The registration is too often lost and I have to trigger the registration manually.

For example today (Moday evening) I noticed that, since saturday, the incoming calls from the half of my registered providers went to my voice mail !!

I really need a reliable service. Any solution ?

Thanks for help

William
Williamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamz View Post
I have a premium account, 601331 and I use eu.voxalot.com

The registration is too often lost and I have to trigger the registration manually.
Are you saying that your ATA is having problems staying connected to VoXaLot (and therefore sometimes incoming calls go to voice mail, instead of ringing your ATA)? If so, than the problem is likely either your ATA settings, or your router/firewall. However, without knowing which equipment you have on your end, we can only provide general suggestions as to how you might fix the problem.

The reason this often occurs, is that phone adapters are often put being (home) NAT routers. And the firewall built into home NAT routers will often "time out" and close the inbound connection (from the internet to your phone adapter), causing inbound calls to be blocked. Outbound calls are almost never blocked this way (because as soon as you call out, your router/firewall will usually see you are trying to make a connection and reestablish the link between the internet and your adapter), but this is a common problem with incoming calls.

To fix this you usually have to do some combination of the following:

1) Sometimes setting up your phone adapter (ATA) to send "NAT keep alive" packets will be enough to convince your router to keep the connection open to your ATA (thereby allowing you to keep receiving incoming calls).

2) With some routers, you can (in the advanced config settings of the router) set the "UDP connection timeout" to a much longer period of time than the default. This often helps with the incoming problems, as most phone adapters (and the VoXaLot service) use UDP for the "registration" (as well as using UDP for the voice). So if your router goes a lot longer than default before it closes UDP connections, than the "registration" will last longer than default.

3) With most ATAs, it is possible to adjust how frequently the ATA tries to register. You generally don't want to make this too small, as doing so will greatly increase bandwidth use. However, you can easily set the registration to say a few minutes at a shot. Doing so won't prevent the router problem, but (since the connection is usually reestablished when you next "register") it will greatly lower how long each "outage" is (ideally your registration interval is lower than your router timeout interval, resulting in almost constant connections).

4) Some of us tell our routers to "forward" the UDP SIP (call connect) and RTP (voice path) ports to our ATAs. Doing so is not technically needed, but it can sometimes help. Because proper "forwarding" means that the internet paths (for the VoIP ports) are ALWAYS OPEN to your ATA. So if this is done right, it can sometimes totally eliminate the router blocking the VoIP packets from reaching your ATA.

5) Some ATAs (again this is true of most LinkSys adapters) have an advanced option to control how often to attempt to reregister if/when the adapter detects that a registration has failed. And by default, such settings are usually set to several hours! If you have such an adapter, it can be useful to set those setting to around 2 minutes time (don't set it much lower than that, or you risk hammering the internet with constant registration attempts when something is wrong), so that the adapter can quickly recover if/when an internet glitch (or even something on the VoXaLot end of things) is momentarily preventing the connection. On my SPA-3000 this is done by adjusting the "Reg Retry Intvl:" and "Reg Retry Long Intvl:" settings (both in seconds, and both on the admin-advanced "SIP" tab).

6) And if all else fails, you could try putting the ATA in the DMZ of your router. I generally hate to do this, if for no other reason than it exposes the ATA to "hacking" (which among other things, means you really need a complex password on the ATA), but it is an option to remove the router blocking from the equation.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
gotalkvoip

gotalkvoip is on a distinguished road

I also have a premium account, have multiple gotalk registrations "all are failing" within my Voxalot account

checked gotalk end if there system is down, "but all ok"

1:30am here in Melbourne,.

maybe you guys are doing maintenance?? weee early in the morning :-),.

well l hope all is well soon

anyway deactivating/activating and unregistering/registering each gotalk account within my voxalot account

hopefully it resets and fixes the problem

wondering is there an easier way to do this in one hit or voxalot system eventually fixes itself in time?

cheerz

ps: one account re-registered :-)

Last edited by gotalkvoip; 09-02-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: one account re-registered :-)
gotalkvoip is offline   Reply With Quote