Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
stebie

stebie is on a distinguished road
Default Can voxalot send busy signal based on CLID?

Hi,

I've tried searching the forums but am yet to find an answer to my query.

I have recently discovered the joys of ENUM and e164.org and as such has signed up and registered my phone number. However, reading SIPProbe - e164.org Wiki, the probing side of things, although needed, sounds like it can get annoying.

I was wondering if there was a way to set up my voxalot account to send a 486 BUSY response if voxalot knows my ATA is present (i.e. [according to voxalot's end] SIP session from my ATA to voxalot registered, not expired). I had a look at the Call Connection part of voxalot, however can only see a diversion to voicemail option.

Is there any future plans to place a 'Connect to Busy Tone' option in the Call Connection section, to blacklist certain numbers?

Also, more for the e164.org forum but I'll ask here as I'm sure someone would know, how often do these probes occur? Daily, weekly, etc.?

Thanks!
stebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
v164

v164 is a jewel in the roughv164 is a jewel in the rough

There isn't at the moment, unless you can find some SIP destination (perhaps among the SIP Broker peers) to which you could forward the call that would answer 486 BUSY to every call.

Actually, I've been thinking that a SIP server (VoXaLot or other) that just dishes out canned responses could be useful. For example, some dummy SIP URIs could be set up, such as:

reply486BUSY@voxalot.com (responds with 486 BUSY to every call).

reply380PSTN@voxalot.com (responds with 380 Alternative Service, PSTN)

(useful for people using Japanese ATAs)

Some SIP devices have a "blacklist" - a list of phone numbers from which calls will be refused. You might be able to use that feature in your phone or ATA to avoid being interrupted by SIP probes.
v164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
stebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by v164 View Post
There isn't at the moment, unless you can find some SIP destination (perhaps among the SIP Broker peers) to which you could forward the call that would answer 486 BUSY to every call.

Actually, I've been thinking that a SIP server (VoXaLot or other) that just dishes out canned responses could be useful. For example, some dummy SIP URIs could be set up, such as:

(useful for people using Japanese ATAs)

Some SIP devices have a "blacklist" - a list of phone numbers from which calls will be refused. You might be able to use that feature in your phone or ATA to avoid being interrupted by SIP probes.
I like your train of thought. I wonder if voxalot would be kind enough to consider the creation of these sorts of SIP URIs in order for us to accomplish this task, an alternative to what I suggested previously.

I have tried using search engines to find a SIP URI that would automatically return a 486 BUSY response, but I've not been able to find one.
Unread 07-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That's easy. Just send the call to an invalid (improperly formatted for the service) phone number, on any service reachable via SIP Broker, and the party will likely get a "busy". Yes, it's a royal kludge, but it does seem to work to "black list" some pattern...

Quote:

I like your thinking. If those URIs were around, than anyone trying to cause one of these behaviors should only need to redirect the call to the appropriate URI. Yes, that would still be a kludge, but a much less messy one than simply trying to get unexpected behaviors out of existing service providers.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
stebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis View Post
That's easy. Just send the call to an invalid (improperly formatted for the service) phone number, on any service reachable via SIP Broker, and the party will likely get a "busy".
I would've thought this would return a 403 Forbidden response, despite the end-user's phone getting an engaged tone. To work with e164.org, to my understanding, it needs to be a true busy response (i.e. SIP response 486 Busy).
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough
Default Useful "Forwarding numbers" !

Some unofficial suggestions :
A Forward to [*486] results in a Busy tone.
A Forward to [*010*486] results in a message "We are sorry ......"

A Forward to [*266300] results in ........... ????@#$%??? ?? ?

For Telemarketers try [*350166]

Any way you get the idea!

_.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
stebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurun View Post
Some unofficial suggestions :
A Forward to [*486] results in a Busy tone.
A Forward to [*010*486] results in a message "We are sorry ......"

A Forward to [*266300] results in ........... ????@#$%??? ?? ?

For Telemarketers try [*350166]

Any way you get the idea!

_.
Hi kurun,

I've tested the numbers you've provided using my softphone:

[*486] returns SIP response '404 Not Found' (which would generate a busy tone on most ATAs)
[*010*486] = (exactly what you said above)
[*266300] = (monkeys test)
[*350166] = (exactly what you said above)

Unfortunately, none of these suggestions are ideal as it won't provide e164.org what it is expecting (a SIP response of '486 Busy').

Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far. It's greatly appreciated. Keep them coming, and I'll keep on testing!
Unread 07-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #8
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebie View Post
[*350166] = (exactly what you said above)
That's a classic! Waiting in the queue, listening to bad music now.... couldn't resist.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote