Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 07-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
zaqry

zaqry is on a distinguished road

boatman,

Thanks for the good idea. I am starting with one softphone extension and only later to add a mobile extension(s). It is appealing to get it working in a softphone app, and I started looking. 3cx appears to do everything and make breakfast, but I don't see how to register different provider accounts. Does anyone know if 3cx or other windows softphones will do that (don't think x-lite will)?
zaqry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #12
zaqry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
There is a slight downside to calling out using a BetaMax service through Voxalot. The voice packets of at least one side of the conversation will always pass through Voxalot's proxy, thereby adding a small amount of latency to the call. Apparently this is because BetaMax equipment does not allow renegotiation of the voice path once the call has begun, and Voxalot (for reasons not yet known) initially gives BetaMax it's own IP address (instead of yours) for the voice packet destination.
Is this why mysipswitch users also use Voxalot to correct aggragate accounting of their minutes (erroneously boosts their use over the limit)?
Unread 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

As far as I know Betamax FUP accounting considers the SIP packet IP address only, not the voice packet IP address. Betamax has Voxalot's proxies on some kind of whitelist. IP addresses of the whitelist proxies are not subject to Betamax FUP accounting. Regrettably Betamax can be slow adding new proxies to the whitelist, see this post.

Last edited by boatman; 07-20-2009 at 04:12 PM.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
zaqry

"...FUP accounting considers the SIP packet IP address only, not the voice packet IP address..."

I don't really understand this part, but the whitelist makes sense. Will the mss system be put on the whitelist?
Are mss and Voxalot are comonly combined to get an mss configuration "on the whitelist"?
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqry View Post
"...FUP accounting considers the SIP packet IP address only, not the voice packet IP address..."

I don't really understand this part,
It seems to me that for FUP purposes if Betamax would use the 'Connection Information' IP address instead of the source IP address of the SIP packets, then the FUP problem would disappear, except for people who must proxy the voice (RTP) packets through Voxalot's server. The 'Connection Information' IP address is given to Betamax inside a SIP SDP packet near the start of each call. It is the IP address for the voice packets, your home IP address, so it will be different for each of us, with a few exceptions.

Quote:
Will the mss system be put on the whitelist?
My guess is no, if Betamax was going to add MSS to their whitelist they'd have done it by now.

Quote:
Are mss and Voxalot commonly combined to get an mss configuration "on the whitelist"?
I don't know, I've never done it. I use Betamax only for outbound calls. I chose my Betamax user_ID to be the same as my Gizmo5 user_ID. My dial plan allows me to send outbound calls through Betamax from my Gizmo5 registered phone. This method solves the FUP problem and also lowers call latency compared to making the call through Voxalot. As you may know, Betamax calls have one side of the voice conversation sent through Voxalot, slightly increasing audio latency.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
TheFug

TheFug is on a distinguished road

In short: Mysipswitch/SipSorcery is used for it's extended (free) functions to set up calls, but doesn't support FUP for betamax use, because it gives it's IP address to this coonection, which Betamax clearly states: per unique IP address, using Voxalot because it's on the white list, overcomes this, but at MSS/SS the right header info must be set for the correct working of this..... correct me if I'm wrong.....
For to be correct, i should also say, this subject is fully documented in old Mysipswitch forum posts, only expect help from users there, because the owners of the MSS/SS project, do this as a freebee, and this must not come in conflict with their actual job at Blueface.
TheFug is offline   Reply With Quote