Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 11-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
bridonca

bridonca is on a distinguished road

I have run into this problem before with Voxalot, and other SIP providers. The problem is not with Voxalot, the problem is with your NAT router, and partially with your PAP2 in that it cannot handle NAT very well without clearly defined ports. If you have a router that does not suck, you need to manually forward the sip port like 5060 and a RTP port like 12000 from your router to the PAP2. The PAP2 also has to be configured for those ports. If your router sucks, get a new one, preferably one that can do DD-WRT.

I am not a big fan of STUN because it only works if your router is not junk. If you have a good router, then STUN is bit redundant and pointless.

Why do some VOIP providers like callcentric work? It is because their SIP software is able to use nasty hacks to get the incoming signal working, but even these VOIP providers end up being flaky eventually. The PAP2 needs certainty on the ports to use to work reliably. The RTP port is what deals with the audio, so make sure it is a unique one. I use port 12000 myself.
bridonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
amaramrahul

amaramrahul is on a distinguished road

Thanks a ton for the reply bridonca. I guess that explains a lot. Port forwarding is not an option for me. So I am thinking of configuring one line for incoming (callcentric) and another line for outgoing.
amaramrahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
amaramrahul

Default Yet another surprise!

Hi, I've just found out that by configuring Voipdiscount directly on my PAP2 device, I am able to receive incoming calls. There seems to be a problem with SIPBroker <-> Voipdiscount peering but nevertheless I can call my PAP2 using the SIP URI <userid>@sip.voipdiscount.com.

Also I was successful in setting up an IPKall account to forward calls to this URI and it is working fine.

I sincerely think if a companies like Voipdiscount and callcentric could do something about handling NAT issue (in PAP2), then so should Voxalot.

Anyway, for now I am happy that I can use the same line for outgoing as well as incoming. Thanks for all the responses.
Unread 11-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
carlosalbffgomes

carlosalbffgomes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaramrahul View Post
[...]
I sincerely think if a companies like Voipdiscount and callcentric could do something about handling NAT issue (in PAP2), then so should Voxalot.
[...]
Voxalot does it. If you choose 'NAT SYM = YES", then Voxalot tries to handle with NAT that does not complains with standards. The problem is that 'junky' implementations are all around and it is impossible to handle with everything that may happen in this field. So, in some situation, Callcentric can work and Voxalot doesn't. In some other situation, Voxalot works and Callcentric doesn't. All these problems are the way internet is built and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Your problem is with your modem/router that doesn't handle NAT the way it should do. There are many 'junky' implementations, and all of them are different. So the solution to these kind of problems are in finding some sort of configuration that works and not trying to put to work the 'ideal' solution you want to implement. If you want to learn the technical part, this is an excellent opportunity. If you are only trying to solve some kind of need, that opt by something that works for you with what you have. There are no miracles here that anyone can do it for you. These are the way things are.
Regards,
carlosalbffgomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
amaramrahul

I think I've tried setting Symmetric NAT handling to "YES" and yet it didn't work. But I am not very sure as I have tried many options and don't remember all of them.

Also I am not sure if we could blame the router/modem as my desktop client and iPhone client configured with Voxalot account were able to receive incoming calls properly. It could be that there are NAT handling issues with PAP2 though.

I guess trying by setting Symmetric NAT handling to "YES" is a good option though for now I have already switched over to Voipdiscount and do not intend to revert it and test it. If in the future I test this and it works, I will make it a point to update this thread.

Thanks guys for the support. Really appreciate it.
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
amaramrahul

Just a quick update. I tried setting Symmetric NAT Handling to "Yes" in Member Details but even after that the problem with one way audio was not solved. I guess the only option I am left with is port forwarding. Thanks.
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
beaver

beaver is on a distinguished road

I have been using PAP2 over 5 years. I have seen this one-way audio issue going and coming.
My present fix is to use pbxes (since my voxalot is basic, doesn't offer forward out service). Seems this way works years.
PAP2 is a discontinued product, a little bit old. it's NAT feature is either out-of-day or too weak. If you have two PAP2 behind the same router, the problem will be more serious.
I was testing other (newer) SIP phones and didn't encountered the one-way audio problem.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote