Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot General

Voxalot General Voxalot discussion, tips, tricks and suggestions. Talk about them here.

Unread 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
hust

hust is on a distinguished road
Default A question about dialling method in Canada?

Hi,all guys.

I want to purchase a DID number in Toronto,ON,Canada, and register its account at Voxalot as my Voip-in number for receiving PSTN call from Canada.

I am live in Asia, and not familiar with the dialling method in Canada.I want to know how Canadian caller dial my Voip-in number in Toronto, also want to know which call is a local call for the caller,which call is a long distance call for the caller. I have learned a bit knowlege about dialling method and local calling areas in Canada, but i am still confused. Canadian telcom rule is very different from my motherland. In my motherland, one city has only one area code, call between different area codes must be domestic long distance call.In Canada,many cities have 2 or 3 area codes,and many cities share one area code(divided by exchange)

Assuming my Voip-in number in Toronto is 647-333-XXXX, a caller who use a Toronto phone number 416-333-XXXX to call my Voip-in number. Should he dial 647-333-XXXX? Or should he dial 1-647-333-XXXX? Of course, i know this is a local call. Toronto has 3 area codes:416 647 905 .

If a caller who use a Newmarket phone number 905-710-XXXX (Newmarket also has area code 905) to call my Voip-in number. Should he dial 647-333-XXXX? Or should he dial 1-647-333-XXXX?, i know this is also a local call from BellCanada Website.

If a caller who use Newmarket phone number 905-710-XXXX to call another Toronto number 905-210-XXXX, Should he dial 905-210-XXXX? Or should he dial 1-905-210-XXXX?i know this is also a local call from BellCanada Website.

I have many ?. It is too complex for me.

Any guy in Canada can explain it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hust; 07-13-2007 at 06:59 PM.
hust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Metropolitan Toronto uses 416 and 647 area codes, (647 is an "overlay" on the original 416 Toronto area code).

All calls from any 416 or 647 area code Bell Canada phone lines to 416 or 647 numbers are local and hence free whether mobile or land lines.

Municipalities that share a border with the 416/647 area code are in the 905 area code, and can call the 416/647 area code for free.

In general a call is charged if the called number is more than one municipality away. Yes, it is confusing, as the border line of the specific regions is not clearly identified, except perhaps in the local phone books, and perhaps some specific website dealing with this.

If you call a 647 number from Newmarket, the little voice will tell you if you dialled incorrectly ie. left the 1 out ("You have dialled a number to which long distance charges apply. You must dial 1 or 0 before the number you are calling"), and then you dial again.

If you want a number reachable by the largest number of people without a charge, than a 647 or 416 number is the best one to get for Southern Ontario, unless you get a 1800 toll free number.

If you use a voip provider, this problem disappears, because most providers accept the international dialling method (00+Country Code+AreaCode+Phonenumber), and then you have to use the "1" anyway or add it via some kind of dial plan, in Voxalot or in your ATA.

Last edited by kurun; 07-14-2007 at 01:40 AM.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
hust

hust is on a distinguished road

Thanks. kurun.

Could you help me confirm below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hust View Post

Assuming my Voip-in number in Toronto is 647-333-XXXX, a caller who use a Toronto phone number 416-333-XXXX to call my Voip-in number. Should he dial 647-333-XXXX? Or should he dial 1-647-333-XXXX? Of course, i know this is a local call. Toronto has 3 area codes:416 647 905 .
I think the caller should dial 647-333-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the same city , so dialling does not need domestic long distance call prefix "1" although this call is between different area codes. this call is a local call and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?

Quote:

If a caller who use a Newmarket phone number 905-710-XXXX (Newmarket also has area code 905) to call my Voip-in number. Should he dial 647-333-XXXX? Or should he dial 1-647-333-XXXX?, i know this is also a local call from BellCanada Website.
I think the caller should dial 1-647-333-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the different cities ,so dialling needs domestic long distance call prefix "1" , but this call is also a local call(I know it from Bell Canada website) and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?

Quote:
If a caller who use Newmarket phone number 905-710-XXXX to call another Toronto number 905-210-XXXX, Should he dial 905-210-XXXX? Or should he dial 1-905-210-XXXX?i know this is also a local call from BellCanada Website.
I think the caller should dial 1-905-210-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the different cities,so dialling needs domestic long distance call prefix "1" although this call is in the same area code, but this call is also a local call(I know it from Bell Canada website) and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?

remark: 905-210- exchange is the only one exchange belong to Toronto from 905 area code.

Last edited by hust; 07-14-2007 at 05:33 PM.
hust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think the caller should dial 647-333-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the same city , so dialling does not need domestic long distance call prefix "1" although this call is between different area codes. this call is a local call and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?
Correct, if caller dials 1-xxx.... they get a message "This is not a long distance call ...."

Quote:
I think the caller should dial 1-647-333-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the different cities ,so dialling needs domestic long distance call prefix "1" , but this call is also a local call(I know it from Bell Canada website) and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?
This is where it can get very confusing. Prefix "1" is only required if it is a charged call. So from Newmarket to Toronto (Mobile or Landline), it is no charge and you cannot dial the prefix 1. However from Vaughan (905 area) which is North of Toronto and South of Newmarket and slightly West is a charged call although closer to Newmarket than Toronto.

Quote:
I think the caller should dial 1-905-210-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the different cities,so dialling needs domestic long distance call prefix "1" although this call is in the same area code, but this call is also a local call(I know it from Bell Canada website) and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?

remark: 905-210- exchange is the only one exchange belong to Toronto from 905 area code.
If it is a no charge call, than "1" is not used. The "1" indicates a charged call, unless calling a Toll Free number 1-800, 1-888, 1-866, 1-877.

I really do appreciate that this may sound quite confusing, but the system alerts you if you need to dial the "1".
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote