Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > ENUM.164 > e164.org Support

e164.org Support Support forum for the e164.org ENUM directory

Unread 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough
Default Adding Australian 1300 numbers?

How do I add my Australian 1300 number to e164.org ?

Area codes used:
  • blank (as in nothing entered)

The first two options _seem_ to be okay, but no call comes through and the 3rd option 'thinks' there is an alphabetic character in the number, so it won't try to schedule a call.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
evilbunny

evilbunny is on a distinguished road

This could be a bit hit and miss at present as we don't have any australian providers that are handling calls correctly at present...
evilbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
affinity

Right now, my 1300 number terminates on a fixed line number. However, the fixed line number may not be available to me at some stage in the future. Now here's the curly bit -- no-one else will ever be able to have this number. And even I will lose it unless I can get a permanent fixed diversion working [at cost]. So if the number becomes 'delisted' as such, then any calls to verify it will fail even though nobody will have this number at that time.

Just in case the above is as clear as mud:

- Orange [Hutchison Telecoms] had local and mobile numbers with CDMA services, it was marketed as a home line replacement product.

- Orange, now branded as Three is closing down the CDMA network. The best offer I have from them is that I can keep diversion of my local number ONLY if I choose to use their 3G network.

- I am trying to get Telstra to port the 'fixed line' number so that I can stop using Hutchisons completely and I will port the mobile number to a provider of my own choosing once this is done.

Further to this, if I can have an ENUM record for my 1300 number, then it will lessen the need for the fixed line number. But idealy I would like to have ENUM records for both numbers and for the fixed line number to never expire even if it becomes inoperable in the normal PSTN environment.
Unread 05-26-2006, 02:13 AM   #4
evilbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity
Further to this, if I can have an ENUM record for my 1300 number, then it will lessen the need for the fixed line number. But idealy I would like to have ENUM records for both numbers and for the fixed line number to never expire even if it becomes inoperable in the normal PSTN environment.
This won't be possible to not expire numbers, due to number turn over we're likely to implement number re-verification to pre-emptively take care of problems caused by people registering numbers and then someone else being allocated the number.

As for your situation, I highly doubt the 1300 number will go into limbo, it should be pretty straight forward to port the 1300 number to a different carrier or even a voip carrier and that would remove the need for a geographical number.
Unread 05-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
affinity

Yes, the 1300 number itselfe is safe but many people know the fixed line number and some prefer to use it.
Unread 05-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
evilbunny

Quote:
Yes, the 1300 number itselfe is safe but many people know the fixed line number and some prefer to use it.
Since you own the number I thought it would be pretty trivial to have it ported...
Unread 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbunny
Since you own the number I thought it would be pretty trivial to have it ported...
The trouble is the fixed line number is 'owned' by Hutchison Telecoms and there seems to have been some deal with ACMA that stops any other provider from being able to port the number ... sucks really, but I guess I will have to let ppl know a new fixed line number that they can call when the time comes.
Unread 05-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
evilbunny

Quote:
The trouble is the fixed line number is 'owned' by Hutchison Telecoms and there seems to have been some deal with ACMA that stops any other provider from being able to port the number ... sucks really, but I guess I will have to let ppl know a new fixed line number that they can call when the time comes.
Hutchinson is a carrier, I thought this meant you were in the same boat as you were with telstra since you're obviously the end user.

There can be exceptions, such as companies taking E1s and the reselling to end users, but for the most part LNP was supposed to stop this sort of crap of being held hostage by your carrier, I'd start complaining to your local member, the telecommunications ministers office, the ACMA, maybe even the ACCC...
Unread 05-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbunny
Hutchinson is a carrier, I thought this meant you were in the same boat as you were with telstra since you're obviously the end user.

There can be exceptions, such as companies taking E1s and the reselling to end users, but for the most part LNP was supposed to stop this sort of crap of being held hostage by your carrier, I'd start complaining to your local member, the telecommunications ministers office, the ACMA, maybe even the ACCC...
I hear what you are saying loud and clear and have considered the same, but I don't think that I will actually get anywhere.... I almost had Telstra take over the number, but after evey attempt they made, there was always another hurdle and it seems that I have come to the end of the road with Telstra saving me from Hutchisions.

Time is running out to deal with ACMA and the ACCC. The last communications I had with Three [nee Orange -- really Hutchisons...] was that the only way I could keep the number for up to 12 months is to change to Three for my mobile and I don't want to do that AND they also require me to prove that I have the 038705xxxx number in Yellow pages.

They also said, at odds with themselves, that I could only extend the number as long as they continue their network, but they are apparently closing their network on the 9th of August, go figure.

btw the 12 months period was 3 months initially.... today I was offered 6 months, but I queried and told them that I was already offered 12 months -- that's when the Yellow pages come into the 'deal'....
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #10
affinity

Where to add 1300 numbers [and 13 as well]:

https://www.e164.org/non.php?non=&CC=