Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > SIP Broker Forums > SIP Broker Support

SIP Broker Support Support for the SIP Broker service.

Unread 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
hddlab

hddlab is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Peering - please

Hello all,
I have been working hard to learn about VOIP and now I have something that I´m too curious and I would like to ask here.

Voip peering is the possibilty from one VOIP call other even if they are in different VSP, is this?

Ok, what is necessary to this happens?
Since I saw at the Sipbroker website that has a lot of VOIPs that we can call but there is others that we can not, why?
Is because they do not let or is because they do not have the propor server?

What is ncessary to one VOIP call other? And what can be donne about this?

Thank you very much for your atention and help

Jose Pinto
HDDLAB - Brasil
Data Recovery Company
hddlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddlab View Post
Hello all,
I have been working hard to learn about VOIP and now I have something that I´m too curious and I would like to ask here.

Voip peering is the possibilty from one VOIP call other even if they are in different VSP, is this?

Ok, what is necessary to this happens?
Since I saw at the Sipbroker website that has a lot of VOIPs that we can call but there is others that we can not, why?
Is because they do not let or is because they do not have the propor server?

What is ncessary to one VOIP call other? And what can be donne about this?

Thank you very much for your atention and help

Jose Pinto
HDDLAB - Brasil
Data Recovery Company
There are two parts to VoIP peering:

1. In order to call a VSP user over the internet you need that he have a SIP address and that his provider accepts calls at that address. There is an added issue that some providers accept calls only from users within their network.

Let's take an example. A Betamax user can call another BetaMax user using the second user's SIP Adress, but a call from other third party providers (eg. VoXalot) are not allowed in by BetaMax.

So a VSP needs to both allow SIP URI calls, and accept them from third party networks.

2. A way to allow users to dial numbers, but deliver the call as a SIP URI. This is the thing usually associated with Peering. An access code that users on one network can dial, to call users on another network.

Now of course not all providers spend time setting up such access codes, although they support SIP Calling. That's where SipBroker comes in, it makes it easy for you to dial a number to call a SIP URI. Eg. When you dial *010123456 SipBroker sends the call in sip format as 123456@voxalot.com (it uses the *010 to decide what to put behind the @ )

So all you need for access to SipBroker is to deliver calls to*SipCodeNumber@sipbroker.com and then SipBroker takes care of the rest. There is of course the added bonus of PSTN access numbers.

SipBroker can be used in your ATA dial plan along with another provider as long as that provider supports SIP Calling, or in cases like that of VoXalot is already integrated on the provider's servers?

So in order for peering you must have:
-Allowing outbound SIP URI calls, and accepting incoming SIP URI calls from third party networks
-An easy way to dial SIP URIs as numbers

Why do some providers not support this:

A number of reasons have been brought up. The more basic thing is that SIP URI calls are over the internet and as such free, hence a provider makes no profit if the users are calling in between different networks this way.

Some providers have brought up security issues and the fright of VoIP spam, others just haven't taken the time to implement the coding for such a fucntionalty, although most server hardware should support it without issues....
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
hddlab

hddlab is on a distinguished road

Hi, emoci.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Yes, I udenrstood everything.
I was just think about the peering, and also I was thinking about the security but I understand that the peering is something that will happens, and the VSP need to understand thas as much as user start to understand VOIP they will start to look for what the VSP are offering and they definnily will look for thouse who give more services.

Thank you very much again
Regards
Jose Pinto
hddlab is offline   Reply With Quote