Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > ENUM.164 > e164.org Support

e164.org Support Support forum for the e164.org ENUM directory

Unread 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
jadangomez

jadangomez is on a distinguished road
Default How to use ENUM

I've already register my PSTN number and receive the confirmation.

Can anyone explain me how to use the system or please refer me to any link . Thank U.
jadangomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Lanh

Lanh is on a distinguished road

When you have registered your numbers that is all you do as far as I understand it.

The benefit of doing so is to your callers. If they use an ENUM enabled SIP service, such as FWD or Sipphone to call your number (in full international format), then they can call you for free and the call will be routed to your softphone/ATA.

If they use the normal PSTN services, then the call will come through to your normal phone.

For instance....

I have a personal number which costs 35p/min at all times to the callers via PSTN and it is routed to my mobile, but it someone calls me using Sipphone or any other ENUM compatible SIP account, the call becomes free and it is routed to my ATA because I have registered the number with e164.org.

Hope this helps, someone might post added functionality.
Lanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
anilsaxena

anilsaxena is on a distinguished road
Default Please explain to a newbie

Will you please explain in plain english without technical jargon.

I have a SIP number alloted by Sipphone.com. I have a PSTN number at my home. My daughter (who lives in Finland) has her GSM mobile number in Finland. I have got installed an ATA on my broadband ADSL router. With this setup, how we can make use of e164.org

Thanks.

Anil
anilsaxena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't bother with it. ENUM is designed to help technical users in some situations, but can be ignored without great loss if it seems complicated to setup.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
MGifos

MGifos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsaxena View Post
Will you please explain in plain english without technical jargon.
In E164.org, my PSTN number is mapped to my VoIP number (from VoXalot). If someone calls me on my PSTN number, while they are using VoiP, their VoIP provider may look up E164.org and translate the PSTN number that they called, into my VoIP number. Their call then beccomes VoIP to VoIP instead of VoIP to PSTN. This helps the person that was calling me because they do not have the normal PSTN call charges, they only have to pay VoIP to VoIP, which should be free.

It really only helps if a person calling me in VoIP calls me on my PSTN number. If they use my VoIP number then there is no need for E164.org. However, I usually ask people to call me using my PSTN number because it is the number that they already knnow and it allows me to change my VoIP number withoput having to inform lots of people.

(This is only one use of E164.org because ENUM suppoprts many diferent types of mapping, but this is a common use.)

If I understand your situation correctly, you have an ATA and have Sipphone as your VoIP provider. You should set up the ATA to register with Sipphone and then use this to call Finland. The call rates will be for Sipphone calling a mobile phone in Finland. E164.org provides no help. Your daughter can call you on your PSTN number as normal.

If SIP Broker had a PSTN access number in Finland, then your daughter could then call this local number (local call rates) and then enter your Sipphone number preceded by *747, which is SIP Broker's code for Sipphone. Unfortunately, it looks like no SIP Broker number in Finland. None of this requires E164.org. (If there was a SIP Broker PSTN access number in Finland then you could enter an E164.org mapping of your PSTN to your Sipphone number and then your daughter coul;d call the SIP Broker number and just enter your PSTN number instead of your Sipphone number.)

MG.
MGifos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
sghazagh

sghazagh is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGifos View Post
In E164.org, my PSTN number is mapped to my VoIP number (from VoXalot). If someone calls me on my PSTN number, while they are using VoiP, their VoIP provider may look up E164.org and translate the PSTN number that they called, into my VoIP number. Their call then beccomes VoIP to VoIP instead of VoIP to PSTN. This helps the person that was calling me because they do not have the normal PSTN call charges, they only have to pay VoIP to VoIP, which should be free.

It really only helps if a person calling me in VoIP calls me on my PSTN number. If they use my VoIP number then there is no need for E164.org. However, I usually ask people to call me using my PSTN number because it is the number that they already knnow and it allows me to change my VoIP number withoput having to inform lots of people.

(This is only one use of E164.org because ENUM suppoprts many diferent types of mapping, but this is a common use.)

If I understand your situation correctly, you have an ATA and have Sipphone as your VoIP provider. You should set up the ATA to register with Sipphone and then use this to call Finland. The call rates will be for Sipphone calling a mobile phone in Finland. E164.org provides no help. Your daughter can call you on your PSTN number as normal.

If SIP Broker had a PSTN access number in Finland, then your daughter could then call this local number (local call rates) and then enter your Sipphone number preceded by *747, which is SIP Broker's code for Sipphone. Unfortunately, it looks like no SIP Broker number in Finland. None of this requires E164.org. (If there was a SIP Broker PSTN access number in Finland then you could enter an E164.org mapping of your PSTN to your Sipphone number and then your daughter coul;d call the SIP Broker number and just enter your PSTN number instead of your Sipphone number.)

MG.
Thanks alot mate,
I am sure user 'anilsaxena' doesn't understand it very well.
But you helped other people like me to get the story.

Once again thanks for your post.
SAEED
sghazagh is offline   Reply With Quote