Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 07-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
samjesse

samjesse is on a distinguished road
Default ENUM as ip dialing

Hi
is there a need to set my ATA to accept direct inbound IP dialling when I am already registered for ENUM? Or ENUM is also an IP direct dialing?

Thanks
samjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
MGifos

MGifos will become famous soon enough

I believe that ENUM and IP direct dialing are separate VoIP features. At a general ENUM allows translation of one address to another. I use e164.org. In this database my PSTN number is listed and associated with my VoIP number. In this case I use my VoXaLot account number. This means that anyone who is using VoIP system which looks up e164.org and calls me on my PSTN number will automatically be translated to a call on my VoIP number. Thsi means that people calling me via VoIP will be automatically save money because their call to a PSTN number will be replaced by a free VoIP call.

IP direct dialing supports calling a device or software in a way that does not require the device or software to be registered to a VoiP provider. I use this because I ave an ATA registered to iiNet so that I can make and recieve calls. So that I can recieve calls via other methods my ATA is set up to recieve IP direct calls. The IP address of my ATA is recorded in SIPBroker and SIPBroker relates this to a VoIP number. People can call me via VoiP by calling me on my SIPBroker number which is translated to a call at my IP. Simple?

Regard. MG.
MGifos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

You could use this "trick" to give your adapter a SIP URI that can be directly called. You could then have your ENUM record point to that SIP URI for your adapter.

WARNING:
Most dynamic DNS services only do DNS "A" (normal web) records, whereas some VoIP adapters/equipment REQUIRE DNS "SRV" records instead. So if you are using a dynamic DNS service, you might want to use the "SIP Broker alias" work-around mentioned toward the bottom of that FAQ post (to avoid having people not be able to reach you due to the DNS SRV record issues).

SIP Broker Wiki : Inbound Calls Directly to your LinkSys or Sipura
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
v164

v164 is a jewel in the roughv164 is a jewel in the rough
Default append port number

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis View Post
WARNING:
Most dynamic DNS services only do DNS "A" (normal web) records, whereas some VoIP adapters/equipment REQUIRE DNS "SRV" records instead. So if you are using a dynamic DNS service, you might want to use the "SIP Broker alias" work-around mentioned toward the bottom of that FAQ post (to avoid having people not be able to reach you due to the DNS SRV record issues).

SIP Broker Wiki : Inbound Calls Directly to your LinkSys or Sipura
I've suggested an alternative solution to the SRV record problem here:
http://forum.voxalot.com/sip-broker-...-solution.html
v164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
v164

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis View Post
...whereas some VoIP adapters/equipment REQUIRE DNS "SRV" records
Skimming through RFC 3263 "Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Locating SIP Servers", I believe it's a spec violation to require SRV records.

From section 4.2:

Quote:
If no SRV records were found, the client performs an A or AAAA record lookup of the domain name. The result will be a list of IP addresses...
RFC 3263 (rfc3263) - Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Locating SIP Serve

(But then again, a SIP device that violates that clause might also be likely to violate the clause about always using A (or AAAA for IPv6) records if a port number is specified.)
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
v164

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjesse View Post
Hi
is there a need to set my ATA to accept direct inbound IP dialling when I am already registered for ENUM?
That depends on whether or not the SIP server (provider) your ATA registers with for incoming calls blocks incoming SIP calls from non-business-partner external domains.

Voxalot, for example, allows incoming SIP calls from anywhere, so if your ATA registers with voxalot, you can map your phone number at e164.org to <voxalot number>@voxalot.com

However, if your SIP server / provider blocks incoming SIP calls from some places, you'll need to setup direct inbound IP dialling so that others can get through to you. In that case you would map your phone number at e164.org to <username>@<your IP address>:<SIP listening port>

Use the "test call" function at e164.org to test that incoming calls via ENUM work.