Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 09-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
ansher

ansher is on a distinguished road
Default G711 -> G729 conversion

Hi,

quick question to Voxalot. My provider currently supports G711 only and I need to use G729 only . Can I set up Voxalot account in the way that G711 from my provider coming as G729 to me through Voxalot.

Thanks.
ansher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansher View Post
Hi,

quick question to Voxalot. My provider currently supports G711 only and I need to use G729 only . Can I set up Voxalot account in the way that G711 from my provider coming as G729 to me through Voxalot.

Thanks.
Yes, just set your ATA to g729 and on the provider details page for your provider set the Codecs field to:

ulaw;alaw

Voxalot will then trancode.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
ansher

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Yes, just set your ATA to g729 and on the provider details page for your provider set the Codecs field to:

ulaw;alaw

Voxalot will then trancode.
Thanks, I did exactly like you said and I get message "499 Not acceptable here". Once I switch my ATA back to ulaw/alaw (G711a/u) call goes through.

Any other thoughts ?
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansher View Post
Thanks, I did exactly like you said and I get message "499 Not acceptable here". Once I switch my ATA back to ulaw/alaw (G711a/u) call goes through.

Any other thoughts ?
When you dial *600 are you getting this error? A 499 is likely to be coming from your embedded provider.

Do you have "Optimize Audio" set to "Yes" for this provider?

If so, then this could be your problem as Voxalot will *not* transcode when this setting is "Yes"

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
ansher

Quote:
When you dial *600 are you getting this error? A 499 is likely to be coming from your embedded provider.

If so, then this could be your problem as Voxalot will *not* transcode when this setting is "Yes"
Thanks for the quick reply. When I dial *600 and mandatory use G729 call goes through. "Optimize Audio" was set to 'yes', I have switched to 'NO' just now. How long does it take to changes to become effective ? I have tried calling right after switching "Optimize Audio" to NO and still the same issue.
Unread 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
ansher

Quote:

Hi . I did exactly what it said and still have same problem. *600 works but when i attempt to use my provider it does not convert to G.729 . Can anyone help ?
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Ensure the following:

When you log in on VoXalot, Home Page, there is a NAT Symmetric Handling Setting (make sure it is set to yes)....

Under the details for the Voice Service Provider in question, Optimize Audio should be set to NO....

As Martin mentioned above, arrange the codecs as suggested....

Once you've changed this settings in VoXalot, I suggest powercycling your ATA (power off, wait a few min, power back on)

This powercycle may or may not help the time within which the settings take effect (the latest the settings take effect is when your register expiry time is set in your ATA, by default this is 3600 sec, 1 hour, unless you changed it)

Once your ATA is up, test *600, then test placing a call with your provider, if it is not working right away, you may want to give it 1 or 2 hours....

Hopefully it'll work !!! (As you may realize VoXalot is set up to handle it, but whether your provider is happy with a middleman may or may not be a factor)

Question: Why do you need to only use G729, is it a bandwith requirement?

Last edited by emoci; 09-29-2007 at 08:14 PM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
majo

majo is on a distinguished road

Hi Ansher,
My requirements are opposite to you. My ATA support G711 only but my provider braintel support only G729 codec. I have registered braintel on voxalot and selected g729 codec only. I was not able to recieve calls directly on my ATA, but in voxalot I forward my calls to voipuser.org that support G729 and i registerd my ATA to voipuser.org. Now most of time i can recieve calls from braintel but some time calls are not successfull. May be you can also follow similar scenerio. Vox->voipuser->ATA.

Regards.

majo
majo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
ansher

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Ensure the following:

When you log in on VoXalot, Home Page, there is a NAT Symmetric Handling Setting (make sure it is set to yes)....

Under the details for the Voice Service Provider in question, Optimize Audio should be set to NO....

As Martin mentioned above, arrange the codecs as suggested....

Once you've changed this settings in VoXalot, I suggest powercycling your ATA (power off, wait a few min, power back on)

This powercycle may or may not help the time within which the settings take effect (the latest the settings take effect is when your register expiry time is set in your ATA, by default this is 3600 sec, 1 hour, unless you changed it)

Once your ATA is up, test *600, then test placing a call with your provider, if it is not working right away, you may want to give it 1 or 2 hours....

Hopefully it'll work !!! (As you may realize VoXalot is set up to handle it, but whether your provider is happy with a middleman may or may not be a factor)

Question: Why do you need to only use G729, is it a bandwith requirement?
This is getting more and more interesting. I was able to push my provider (Acanac) to change the codec for me. It is now G.729a . I can confirm it 100% and now if I make a call with my ATA directly through Acanac it shows G729 codec being used during a call. If I attempt to force G711 and call through Acanac the ATA rejects the call. So, it works how it should.

Now ... I have set up Acanac as the only VSP in my Voxalot account and in the codecs field left g729 only. Interesting thing happening. If I attempt to force my ATA to use G.729a is returns "499 Not Acceptable here" . If I let my ATA to handle any codec it connects on G.711u . How is it possible ? Acanac restricted my access to anything but G729 as per my note above.

The way I see it that Voxalot have a special arrangement with some VSP (such as Acanac) and handles their calls as per some sort or specifications but not by codec I am trying to force Voxalot to use in my case. I could be wrong, Admins will correct me in this case. But the bottom line: I am confused big time.

Has anyone else here uses Acanac as VSP with Voxalot ?

Last edited by ansher; 10-04-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Unread 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
ansher

Quote:
Originally Posted by majo View Post
Hi Ansher,
My requirements are opposite to you. My ATA support G711 only but my provider braintel support only G729 codec. I have registered braintel on voxalot and selected g729 codec only. I was not able to recieve calls directly on my ATA, but in voxalot I forward my calls to voipuser.org that support G729 and i registerd my ATA to voipuser.org. Now most of time i can recieve calls from braintel but some time calls are not successfull. May be you can also follow similar scenerio. Vox->voipuser->ATA.

Regards.

majo
majo:
you have raised major and valid concern. Why would we go through many 'other' providers to make things work as we need them to work. Why wouldn't Voxalot fix codecs transcoding to make it work properly. Or maybe it is our (users) lack of knowledge how to properly set up an account ?

Another question: are the transcoding features differ between paid and free users of Voxalot service ?

I hate to say this but I am about to start installing Asterisk myself and use it instead of Voxalot if I would not get help to resolve transcoding issues. I am trying to avoid installing Asterisk because I do not want any computers run 24/7 at home, the only thing I have is a poor little Motorola DD-WRT router with Asterisk 1.4 installed in it, but it probably will not be able to handle G711-G729 transcoding.

Knowledgeable people please help poor users !