Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 02-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
udotirol

udotirol is on a distinguished road

What you need is what makes your customers happy.

In other words: place the servers where you have most of the customers. If you want to load balance between two servers than have each of the servers located in another country. So for example if most of your customers come from the UK, place one server in the UK and the second one in the country where you have the second most customers.

Amsterdam OTOH for sure would be a good place for a third server as well because that's where most of the pan-European infrastructure meets.

And I believe for a commercial company pricing for the basic infrastructure is not a major concern, reliability is more important than pricing, IMHO. So _please_ go for an enterprise grade provider.
udotirol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
majo

majo is on a distinguished road

Hi Martin,
Just for your info.
Dedicated Server von STRATO
1&1 Webhosting*-*Server-Übersicht
http://www.space.net/managed-hosting.../index.html(No cost info but very reliable)

Rackspace, Easynet and Easyspace Most Reliable Hosting Companies In April 2007 - Netcraft

Majo

from Munich,Germany

Last edited by majo; 02-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
majo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

On this note...how hard would it be to modify the servers as follows:

us.voxalot.com
>proxy01.us1.voxalot.com.
>proxy02.us1.voxalot.com.
>Should both fail fallback to eu.voxalot.com. (this should be relatively easy by assigning a priority 20 srv record for proxy01.eu1.voxalot.com ... no? )
>Should that fail fallback to au.voxalot.com

eu.voxalot.com
>proxy01.eu1.voxalot.com
>Should it fail fallback to us.voxalot.com
>Should it fail fallback to au.voxalot.com

au.voxalot.com
>proxy01.au1.voxalot.com
>Should it fail fallback to us.voxalot.com
>Should it fail fallback to eu.voxalot.com

The only issue I see with this...is that if it works as supposed we'll never know when a server has been down...
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #14
awjkok

awjkok is on a distinguished road
Default Hosting suggestion

Hi Martin,

Check the link below, XS4all is one of the oldest internet providers in the Netherlands maybe even the first. Their datacenters handle about 10% of all Dutch Internet traffic. Since they are also an active VSP and always looking for new services, they might be extra sympathetic towards Voxalot.

XS4ALL | Products | Own server | Colocation | Introduction
awjkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
stezanos

stezanos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotalkvoip View Post
my resolve is to have remote access to those ATA's, just a matter of setting those ata's with remote access and emailing your friends for there current IP address if they haven't got a static IP address to use to enter ito there ATA's
Gotalk,

Thanks for the advice. The only problem with that is that my "friends" on the other side, are 70+ years old and don't have the slightest idea of what an IP address is, and "the other side" is 10,000km and 26 hours flight away

That's why I was thinking if the "server selection" could be provided internally by voxalot.

Perhaps it's a very particular case only applicable to me, or perhaps not.

Good luck Martin (and all of us!).

Best regards,
Santiago
stezanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
Chrisips2

Chrisips2 is on a distinguished road

I can't offer too much technical advice - but I can offer a couple of observations which you might choose to put into the melting pot.

1) At my place of work, we used to use Demon from Thus. As I understand it, they have a presence in both London AND the Netherlands (or at least they used to). I would have thought they would be the ideal partner. Very reliable. They are not cheap but 'cheap' is often not a good thing! The fact that we don't use them any more doesn't mean we don't like them - we were forced to join a government network.

2) Also, I think (for me) it is really important that I know how my voice traffic is being routed (as far as possible). I would much rather enter eu.voxalot.com into my devices and know that my devices are communicating with servers nearby, rather than an occasional lottery. I have tried an alternative server but opted stop and to divert calls to my mobile telephone as the results did not sound professional. It's not an issue if I call other SIP devices but it is very definitely an issue (latency-wise) if I make a call to a traditional phone network.

All the best.

Chrisp
Chrisips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #17
dimitrivisser

dimitrivisser is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to dimitrivisser Send a message via AIM to dimitrivisser Send a message via MSN to dimitrivisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisips2 View Post
1) At my place of work, we used to use Demon from Thus. As I understand it, they have a presence in both London AND the Netherlands (or at least they used to).
Demon in the Netherlands was bought by XS4ALL internet: internetprovider voor toegang en hosting a couple of years ago. I used them for ADSL, they gave good quality for a decent price.
dimitrivisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your feedback. We are happy to report EU service is finally operational. See:

http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...html#post21652

Thanks

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote