Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > SIP Broker Forums > SIP Broker Support

SIP Broker Support Support for the SIP Broker service.

Unread 06-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
scaev

scaev is on a distinguished road
Default Numeric-to-alphanumeric translation for arbitrary SIP URI

Hello, currently I'm trying to play with the SIPBroker service, and I have one suggestion.

The SIPBroker is essentially a redirection service which takes a number in form *(network-code)(sip-number) and redirects it to (sip-number)@(network-address), e.g. *4190000 translates into 0000@sipnet.ru.

The need for such a redirection service arises, as I see it, mainly when using ATAs (analog telephone adapters) instead of IP-phones or softphones, as ATAs are ordinarily unable to make calls to arbitrary SIP URIs in a full form.

However, while being quite economical in the sense of the dialled number length, SIPBroker service has two main drawbacks.

First, it confines the service to a predefined list of SIP operators. Any operator/end user who wants to be accessed via SIPBroker has to register with it.

Second, it only deals with the "right side" problem of the SIP URI, leaving the "left side" problem unsolved. For example, if I want to call to John Doe at 1234@sipnet.ru I must dial *4191234 and it is easily done with my ATA. But if I know Jonh's SIP URI only in alternative form johndoe@sipnet.ru I would be unable to call John using SIPBroker service.

The only solution to these problems, as far as I think, is to add an extra service that would do a translation of the numeric sequence (formed by known rules) into a full SIP URI. For example, let us set the following numeric-to-alphanumeric mapping table 00 = 0, 01 = 1, ..., 09 = 9, 10 = @, 11 = ., 12 = _, ..., 21 = a, 22 = b, 23 = c, 25 = A, 26 = B, 27 = C, ..., 94 = z, ..., 99 = Z and arrange that @full.sipbroker.com redirects to full SIP URLs resolved according to the list above. Then johndoe@sipnet.ru -> 51634262316332107443716232811173@full.sipbroker.co m and a call to 51634262316332107443716232811173@full.sipbroker.co m turns out to be a call to johndoe@sipnet.ru.

The main disadvantage of the offered scheme is a huge length of a numeric-translated number. This can be eased by several means, e.g. partial translation (translate only left part of SIP URI while replacing the right part when using ordinary *-rules, e.g. *41900000000@full.sipbroker.com -> 0000@sipnet.ru).

The advantage of the offered scheme is quite clear: it allows to make a call to ANY SIP URI just using ATA, without any extra settings, setting short number dialling and so on.

Of course, there is a great room for discussion, including the actual need for such service. But is think that the offered scheme might be quite simple to implement anyway.

P.S. sipnet.ru domain address have been used here solely for illustrative purposes; any other domain could be on its place.
scaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaev View Post
First, it confines the service to a predefined list of SIP operators. Any operator/end user who wants to be accessed via SIPBroker has to register with it.
An end user can add a SIP Proxy link to SIP Broker. No need to wait for the VoIP provider to add it for you.

NOTE: This feature does require a (free) SIP Broker account to do, and is only doable from the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaev View Post
But if I know Jonh's SIP URI only in alternative form johndoe@sipnet.ru I would be unable to call John using SIPBroker service.
Correct, there is currently no option for such translation via SIP Broker. And we are aware of this limitation.

So if your provider only lets you call someone via keys not on the normal phone pad (and you are correct that some VoIP providers do have this limitation) you might be SOL with just SIP Broker.

However, you should be able to add a translation for such "non-numeric" entries into the dial plan of Voxalot, if you setup a free Voxalot account (instead of using SIP Broker directly). Perhaps more work to setup than just using SIP Broker directly, but is is an option that may let you call the people you want to call.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
scaev

scaev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So if your provider only lets you call someone via keys not on the normal phone pad
It is essentially not a provider's limitation but a limitation of a typical ATA, e.g. Sipura SPA3102. An all "simple solutions" to this are just "short dial patterns" which can be settled either on ATA itself of on external service such as Voxalot. However, short dial patters are suitable only to provide calls to a fixed list of SIP URIs, thus lacking universality. This way, the SIPBroker service, which allows numeric-to-alphanumeric translation only for a limited subset of SIP URIs but not for any SIP URI, just lacks this universality too. My first post was just about that.
scaev is offline   Reply With Quote