Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
newbie_mt

newbie_mt is on a distinguished road
Default PSTN to PSTN Question

I set up my own account and am quiet pleased that I can use web call back to dial out on my BT100 without having to physically change my phone's settings. My sister will be recovering from surgery at her daughter's, who is out-of-state. She'll have web access at her daughter's but no access to a software VOIP phone, a SIP phone or ATA. I would like to set up an account for her so she could use the web call back feature to use the lower rates she has available from her VOIP provider.

It appears that you have to have service provider details set up for a PSTN number, but the account information required is SIP-based. What kind of information do you include for a provider if you want to use web call back to make PSTN to PSTN calls.

TIA
newbie_mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

To make PSTN <-> PSTN calls using Web Callback, she would need a VoIP provider that supports two simultaneous outgoing calls or two individual VoIP providers.

Even though she would not be registering a SIP device directly with VoXaLot, she would need to signup and obtain a VoXaLot number.

To set up the VoXaLot Provider entry(s), she would need the normal SIP credentials you receive when you sign up for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) service (i.e. Username, Password, Hostname, and Portnumber). No Dial Plans or Call Forwarding entries on VoXaLot would be required for Web Callback use.

Ron

P.S. She could call you via your BT100/VoXaLot number and her PSTN number and only incur one PSTN charge instead of two in the case of PSTN <-> PSTN calls.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
newbie_mt

newbie_mt is on a distinguished road
Default PSTN to PSTN Question

Thanks for responding so quickly. Would another soluton be to have her daugher map her PSTN line to e164.org? My sister now has an account setup with Voxalot so that PSTN line could be mapped to her voxalot SIP ID, couldn't it? Then my sister would be able to use her existing VOIP provider and not modify that account or pick up a second VIOP provider. Again, thanks.
newbie_mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mt
Thanks for responding so quickly. Would another soluton be to have her daugher map her PSTN line to e164.org? My sister now has an account setup with Voxalot so that PSTN line could be mapped to her voxalot SIP ID, couldn't it?
I'm a little confused about what you are asking. Is the number you are thinking of "remapping" the "daughter's"? And does that "daughter" have a VoIP adapter to use with her Voxalot account? If so, then yes you could use e164.org to map that (daughter's) telco/PSTN number to her VoIP adapter. And yes, that would let you use "SIP Broker" as the FREE provider for that leg of the call.

However, if that (daughter) in question already uses VoIP with Voxalot, than she can already be reached "for free" as one leg of a "Web Call". In that case, just pick the "Voxalot" provider from Web Call, and enter her Voxalot number!

The thing to remember about ENUM (e164.org), is that it doesn't in any way allow you to make a call that you couldn't previously make. With ENUM (or without) you still have to be able to make a SIP (VoIP) call to the person via some means! The ONLY THING that ENUM does, is make it easier for someone to realize that 1-555-555-1234 is owned by a person who is also on sip:mynumber@myprovider.com. This is a very useful "phone book" type service, but that is ALL it is. For example, if you were to register your cell phone number with e164.org, and then point it at your Voxalot account, it will be your VoIP adapter (NOT your cell phone) that "rings" when someone calls that number via free ENUM!

NOTE:
If you want to connect two PSTN numbers via "Web Call" you either: A) Need (as others have mentioned) a VoIP provider that will let you make "two calls at the same time", or alternatively B) Two seperate VoIP providers (where you use one provider for each leg of the call). However, if one side of the connection is free VoIP (for example, someone who can be reached via "SIP Broker"), you obviously can use a provider that only allows one call for the other (PSTN) side of the call...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote