Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 06-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
fistanes

fistanes is on a distinguished road

I just re-checked it and the time zone is properly set.

I think the issue must be related to direct calls in peer to peer mode, where Voxalot doesn't have anything to do. I have deactivated peer to peer mode to see if it makes a difference. The only problem is that every time the device gets rebooted the peer to peer mode is reset back to 1. Still, I do not know who can be directly calling me by id and IP, since I have not registered it anywhere and my IP is dynamic (although since I do not usually disconnect the modem I've been having the same IP for a long time). And it doesn't seem to be a person calling, since no one answers at the other end. I looks more like a robot testing the line as emoci suggested.

Anyway, why is it testing the line only during the night? Although probably it is not night time for the robot...
fistanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #12
redwood

redwood is on a distinguished road

and from my case... e-164 is set to test only during my work hours...
It didn't happen last night, so if it does happen again, I'll unregister the number in e-164 and try that....
if someone was calling me direct via enum, how would I know ??????
David
redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
Grahame

Grahame is on a distinguished road

This is also happening to me in France but is sporadic. Sometimes we get a few days of "phantom" calls and then they stop. The time frame is different though, it's usually around midday/early afternoon.

There are no instances of missed calls in any of my Providers call logs or indeed in France Telecoms answering service on the PSTN line connected via the ATA.

Some things which may help:

I had the ATA in the DMZ for a period when these "calls" were at their worst. Putting the ATA back behind the firewall certainly helped.

Re booting my whole system i.e modem/router, ATA and two PC's ( in that order ) on a regular basis also helps, although it's a pain.

Telling Telemarketers to take my PSTN number off their database. These companies use auto dial out systems which the operators often fail to answer on connect.

My own view for what's it's worth on the cause of problem is:

My system is receiving something on the WAN side which it interprets as a voice call. Perhaps malicious Internet traffic ?.

My system, particularly the modem/router and ATA and the overall quality of the ADSL service, are generating errors interpreted as voice traffic.

Nuisance/malicious traffic on the PSTN line

I'm changing my whole set up shortly so it will be interesting to see if this problem goes away.

Best regards

Grahame
Grahame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
fistanes

Just wanted to share with you that after I switched off the peer to peer mode I have received no more 'phantom' calls...Let's see if this continues...
Unread 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistanes View Post
Just wanted to share with you that after I switched off the peer to peer mode I have received no more 'phantom' calls...Let's see if this continues...
Thanks, BTW what is peer-to-peer mode?

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
fistanes

"A peer-to-peer VoIP call occurs when two VoIP phones communicate directly over IP without IP PBXs between them." from msdn.microsoft
My theory is that someone or some robot was dialing directly my IP address, bypassing Voxalot. Since my device had peertopeer_mode set to 1, it allowed that kind of connections. Setting the parameter to 0 seems to have solved the issue. The drawback is that no one can call me directly by IP address, but for me it is not a problem at all. Whoever needs to call me knows my number and gets routed through my voip provider and then through Voxalot, following whatever rules I have configured in both systems.
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
fistanes

After quite a long time without getting phantom calls, I am starting to get them again. I still have peertopeer_mode set to 0. Anyone experiencing a similar issue?
Unread 01-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #18
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Could it be strictly related to the SIP device you are using ?

Is it possible for you to log the sip traffic when this happens ?
This can be done using X-Lite as the SIP device and checking the log when phantom calls occur.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
fistanes

Apparently, in this instance, it must have been related to my SIP device. After rebooting it, no more "phantom calls" for now. So it may be that after some time without rebooting the device it can get a little bit unstable...