Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
oblong

oblong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
It does not pick the first number. It actually analyses the digits right <-- left comparing them against the optional geo number digits. When the remaining digits all match the number is "found".

Not an exact science but the closest thing we have got.
Ok... so this means that for an optional geo number of 6173889xxxx, the "3899" bit would be considered a "closer" match to the "3851" part of +61738510433 than it is to the "3384" part of +61733840033? It's certainly closer numerically, but I'm not sure that's how the algorithm works. If so that would explain why it's picking the "wrong" location.
oblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #32
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblong View Post
Ok... so this means that for an optional geo number of 6173889xxxx, the "3899" bit would be considered a "closer" match to the "3851" part of +61738510433 than it is to the "3384" part of +61733840033? It's certainly closer numerically, but I'm not sure that's how the algorithm works. If so that would explain why it's picking the "wrong" location.
That's right, as I said all we have to work with is numbers. For the majority of cases this is ok.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #33
oblong

oblong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's right, as I said all we have to work with is numbers. For the majority of cases this is ok.
Yes; the concept is certainly a great idea. The problem is that the cases that fail could make it unusable. For example, my friend in Strathpine is not going to want to be directed to the Arana Hills pizza location. So he'll probably not want to use the non-geo lookup at all. Unless we check each 13 number we want to use before the first time we dial it, we won't know if it's going to come up with the right answer.

It seems the lookup needs more information than just the number range - something like a latitude/longitude reference for the exchange - that could then be used for location proximity; even then I don't know if number ranges are tied to physical exchanges these days. And I don't know how feasible it would be implement, anyway. But I imagine such information exists somewhere.
oblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #34
trapper

trapper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not sure that will always be true considering the numbering system in Australia. For example, I'm on the Strathpine exchange in Brisbane and have an exchange prefix of 3889. My brother-in-law across the road has the older prefix of 3204. My mother lives 20-25 minutes away in Wavell Heights... on the Nundah exchange... and has a prefix of 3266 (closer numerically than my brother-in-law across the road). As I understand it this is becoming more and more common as older ranges fill and new prefixes have to be allocated.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #35
dfear

dfear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dfear Send a message via MSN to dfear Send a message via Yahoo to dfear Send a message via Skype™ to dfear
Default Geographic Number Lookup **problems**

several of the images on the "Tutorial - Non-Geographic to Geographic Lookups" page does not work. They are the images that are used to illustrate the examples in the tutorial.

Also

i can't get a non-geographic number to work properly. The number i am trying is 08707307191, which works when i use the non-geo search on e164.org but not on voxalot.

when i test call 08707307191 it resolves to 08707307191 when it should resolve to +35314369001

Please can you tell how to correctly setup a smart call rule for UK 0870 numbers.
dfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:24 AM   #36
evilbunny

evilbunny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twen View Post
Oh, ok, so I can't help much yet. I don't have these numbers and their "geographical" number.
Thanks however !

EDIT: e164.org onl provides non geographical number for the UK and australia... So not all countries yet. I hope soon
I was vaguely aware that these types of numbers also exist in France, and I tried to get information about france but no one responded to my questions.

If you can give me as much info as possible I would be more then happy to add it to the system as well.

Same goes for any other country for that matter.

My preferred contact method is the contact form on e164.org as this sends us an email.
evilbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:41 AM   #37
evilbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfear View Post
Please can you tell how to correctly setup a smart call rule for UK 0870 numbers.
Please see this thread:

http://forum.voxalot.com/e164-org-su...l-numbers.html
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #38
evilbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblong View Post
Should e164 return more than one number?
e164.org doesn't place any arbitary limits on the number of records returned, in one case I think there is over 300 records returned.

VoXaLoT takes these results and sorts them and attempts to guess the closest match. VoXaLoT doesn't submit any geographical numbers to e164.org during the DNS request, and in fact without modifying the DNS code I doubt this would be possible.

I have a largish database of acurate long/lat information on Australian exchanges, and it's easy to cross ref this with numbers assigned to an exchange.

There is a DNS type called RDATA, which allows you to store "ICBM" (missle) co-ordinates in DNS. So... if you pull the geographical location from DNS of the exchange, then mangle the results with the RDATA information you should get a more accurate match.