Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
sunray73

sunray73 is on a distinguished road
Default Feature Request (Web Callback 2.0)

What would be a 'excellent' feature would be the ability to call from your PSTN line to a number you program in voxalot, then enter a code(for which sip you want to use) and call your party using those rates. Essentially being able to use a traditional cell phone much like a wifi phone from anywhere! This would really help those while traveling and not having access to a computer or internet.

"Build it and they will come..."
- field of dreams
sunray73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
lulucachoo

lulucachoo is on a distinguished road

Yes! That sounds brilliant! A DID especially for calling through!

Wow, that's a great idea sunray!

Can't wait.
lulucachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

To make this idea a little more feasible, perhaps a Voxalot SIP address can be developed that would answer asking for your Voxalot user ID and telephone password, and then allow you to place an outbound call using a preferred provider you've already selected through the web. That way it would integrate with the existing SIP Broker network and all the PSTN numbers that they have available to call.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
lulucachoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctylor View Post
To make this idea a little more feasible, perhaps a Voxalot SIP address can be developed that would answer asking for your Voxalot user ID and telephone password, and then allow you to place an outbound call using a preferred provider you've already selected through the web. That way it would integrate with the existing SIP Broker network and all the PSTN numbers that they have available to call.
But that would mean dialing
1)Sipbroker access number
2)Special VoXaLot number
3)VoXaLot no. and pin

This is more hassle than it's worth in most cases IMO.

Ideally you'd be able to dial a DID and put in a 4 digit pin and get a dialtone/menu.

It's a bit out there I realise, but it'd be a great feature!
Unread 12-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Depending on your choice of VoIP providers, you could probably do this already, as some have a callthrough/bridge arrangement like this

eg. I have voipfone and voipbuster accounts. My incoming voipfone number is enum-enabled so could be reached via Sipbroker pstn access. I could forward that voipfone account to either voipfone or voipbuster (or any other) callthrough that recognises the (voipfone number) caller ID I've pre-registered, get a dialling tone, and dial out.

There's a double charge though, or treble counting the original access call, so it's probably as easy to just use an ordinary calling card costing 2c a minute. Or use a callback system, which is where we came in.

Using callback means the chance to define provider(s) for both legs, chosen for good tariffs, whereas callthrough means you are stuck on the tariff of the outgoing access call.

How many callboxes publish their number and accept incoming calls? Using callback here would be much cheaper than stuffing coins in or dialling a freephone access number that surcharges your calling card account.

At the moment the Voxalot mobile callback is used only for numbers that are preset in the phonebook. Maybe finding a way to enable it for undefined numbers would be as flexible as above, without the cost of extra DIDs or as much need for programming of caller ID recognition and dialled-in passwords, which are fairly akin to calling card methods. But I'm not objecting if you decide to do it
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough
Default Access to outgoing VOIP provider via DID or SIP access

Can I suggest the following scheme :

1) Dial to own account via a DID or SIP account access number
2) Wait till call is collected into Voxalot voicemail
3) Dial a preselected passcode number (Eg. xxxxxx)
4) Voicemail responds with a Dialtone
5) Dial outgoing call which will be routed per existing dial plan
6) To end the call and start a new one, dial ***
7) Hang up to terminate session

For security purposes, disable the feature for 15 minutes (or predetermind timeout in case of, for example, 5 failed attempts at entering the passcode.

This will only work if codecs that can reliably transfer DTMF tones are used.

This would be very useful for making long distance calls from an outside number or cell-phone where no charges are involved in accessing the Voxalot account, and no access to a softphone or other SIP device is available.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
lulucachoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurun View Post
Can I suggest the following scheme :

[snip]
But then you're calling home from a mobile phone and have to make sure no-one picks up the SIP at home.

Hmmm...
Unread 12-18-2006, 05:12 AM   #8
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough
Default Access to outgoing VOIP provider via DID or SIP access

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulucachoo View Post
But then you're calling home from a mobile phone and have to make sure no-one picks up the SIP at home.

Hmmm...
Yes, you are correct.
This is similar to when you traditionally call your own number to access Voice mail. If somebody picks up, you tell them what you are doing, and call again.

Most times there is nobody at home when I would need to use this feature, and I do not always have access to a web browser to set up a Web callback.

However I almost always have access to a phone or mobile.

I believe that some ATAs allow for a similar feature. But dedicating a separate DID for this would not be a viable solution for me.

Cheers
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
sunray73

sunray73 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Why not? DID numbers are so easy (and free) to come by. The simplest method I think would be to use a free DID sip account like StanaPhone, once connected, enter in a 4 digit for which ever outbound sip you would like to use and volla... presto your connected. They do implement something like this on a Sipura 3000 but if you can cut out the middle man (being the sipura 3000 hardware) you got yourself one hell of a service...

Either way, I'm glad it's catching some attention here as this could really go from a great service to a service you can't live without (ehhmm... move over skype) If you can build this into your system, I guarantee you will change the face of telecom, voip, and mobile subscribers.

think bigger picture...
sunray73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
vpsaini

vpsaini is on a distinguished road
Default webcallback 2.0

All there, Just to let you know that this service is available at www.easypabx.com ..(sorry administrator to spoil)
What exactly here is this:
You Dial your free DID number which points to a DISA.
The prerecorded message asks you for a pin.
You dial pin and get the dial tone.
You dial the desired number and the call goes through as per dial plan.
In fact if you combine this with callback then you have advantage of not paying for local call.
You ring the callback number and hang up.
The systems call you back via your VSP (which may be free), and connects you to DISA and then same as above.
Hope this help, and same Idea can be implemented in Voxalot.

(PS: EasyPABX will be closing their FREE service by end of this year)
Regards

Last edited by vpsaini; 12-21-2006 at 09:32 AM.
vpsaini is offline   Reply With Quote