Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 07-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #41
pmerrill

pmerrill is on a distinguished road

I noted a message on Whirlpool today about STUN servers and voxalot.com.au. See below from edwardaux,

"Bear in mind that this will only matter if VoXaLot is proxying the voice streams. If your router/NAT/STUN settings are correctly configured, then VoXaLot is only involved in the initial call setup."

This sort of implies to me that if I do NOT have a STUN server configured on my ATA, which I don't, then Voxalot will proxy the voice traffic (I assume this means that voice traffic will flow from my ATA to voxalot.com.au to SIPME to the person I am calling). Whereas if I DO have a STUN server configured, then the traffic will flow from my ATA DIRECTLY to SIPME and then to the person I am calling, which is BETTER.

Is this correct? If so, do I need to point my ATA to the voxalot.com.au STUN server or some other STUN server?

I've always ASSUMED that voxalot.com.au was only involved with the call setup and not the voice stream. If the above is true it would appear that use of the STUN server is MANDATORY for this to be true. I always thought that the STUN server was OPTIONAL.
pmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 01:22 AM   #42
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

My understanding is that SIP works point to point, regardless of having a STUN server or not.

The purpose of having a STUN server is to traverse a NAT enabled network. If you have a private address behind a NAT device, then you may have to use a STUN server -- otherwise it is not necessary.

[STUN is secure traversal of UDP packets over NAT].
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 04:55 AM   #43
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Here's a brief description of how STUN is used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #44
pmerrill

pmerrill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerrill
If I do NOT have a STUN server configured on my ATA, which I don't, then Voxalot will proxy the voice traffic (I assume this means that voice traffic will flow from my ATA to voxalot.com.au to SIPME to the person I am calling). Whereas if I DO have a STUN server configured, then the traffic will flow from my ATA DIRECTLY to SIPME and then to the person I am calling, which is BETTER.
Thanks for the info but I'd still like to confirm my point above. Since I have been having call dropouts, silent calls and 1800 numbers not working via voxalot.com.au, I'm wondering if it is because I don't have my ATA configured properly for Voxalot.com.au. From reading the material, I don't believe that I NEED a STUN server because my VoIP is NOT behind a firewall. The Draytek 2100V sort of has the VoIP functionality integrated "beside" the firewall. So, I don't have to open port 5060 for my ATA to work.

At this point my Draytek 2100V is configured as follows:
SIP Port: 5060
Domain: voxalot.com.au
Proxy: voxalot.com.au
Outbound Proxy: <none>
Stun Server: stun.voxalot.com.au:3478
Dynamic RTP port start: 10050
Dynamic RTP port end: 15000
RTP TOS: IP precedence 5

I'm not sure what RTP TOS so I've left it to the default. The possible values are:
Manual
None
IP precedence 1
IP precedence 2
IP precedence 3
IP precedence 4
IP precedence 5
IP precedence 6
IP precedence 7
AF Class1 (Low Drop)
AF Class1 (Medium Drop)
AF Class1 (High Drop)
AF Class2 (Low Drop)
AF Class2 (Medium Drop)
AF Class2 (High Drop)
AF Class3 (Low Drop)
AF Class3 (Medium Drop)
AF Class3 (High Drop)
AF Class4 (Low Drop)
AF Class4 (Medium Drop)
AF Class4 (High Drop)
EF Class

If anyone has any thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.
pmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote