Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
staffan

staffan is on a distinguished road
Default Call degradation Voxalot -> Voipcheap

Hi. After a lot of attempts to solve a call quality problem, I've found that connecting to Voipcheap via Voxalot causes a substantial degradation in the call quality. Here some background details:

ADSL: 1MB/256KB
Modem/Router: Linksys WAG54G
ATA: Gate 101 (G711a/u, G.722, G.723.1, G.729A/B, G.728, G.726, ILBC)
Softphone: X-Lite

I first set up the ATA (and the softphone) to point to voxalot, where Voipcheap is defined as sip provider. The calls went through OK, but the quality was almost unbearable. I fiddled with codecs, router settings, etc etc, but nothing helped. I had the same problem whether I called from the PSTN/ATA or the softphone. I then decided to connect directly to Voipcheap, and the problem disappeared. Cristal clear calls!

Anyone else out there who has experienced this? And if so, is there a way around it? I've seen postings about changes to codecs, and I've tried them all with no success. I would prefer to use Voxalot. Thanks in advance.
staffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
tomblandford

tomblandford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tomblandford

Which country do you live in and which server are you using for sip registrations in voxalot?
tomblandford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
staffan

I'm in Spain. I have an entry sip.voipcheap.com in the Voxalot Provider List and I used eu.voxalot.com in the ATA and the softphone.
Unread 04-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
juancarlos

juancarlos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffan View Post
I'm in Spain. I have an entry sip.voipcheap.com in the Voxalot Provider List and I used eu.voxalot.com in the ATA and the softphone.
Hi Staffan

Try xlite without voxalot calling your home number and try with voxalot is there a difference?. if yes then try to select only codec G711a/u and try again. Also do a ping to se how many ms you ahve between your house and eu.voxalot.com

i am in Denmark and works perfectly. Voipcheap server is in the netherlands and eu.voxalot.com is in the Netherlands too so there should not be any difference. I think it could be a codec issue rather than server.

If i ping from Denmark to the netherlands I get 23ms which is very good. From Spain should be also around that levels.

hope it helps
juancarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
staffan

Thx for the reply. I did what you said and I do experience an improvement of the call when not routing via voxalot. On the other hand it looks like calls going via the ATA get more distorted than when I use X-lite. I also tried using only G.711a, with very good result in X-lite direct to voipcheap, but distorted via voxalot. And 2 of the roughly 6 test calls ended up with SIP error and an abnormal termination of X-lite :-(

In my ATA I have G.711a defined as the preferred codec.

Regarding ping, I experience a delay of around 160ms to everything. Remember I'm in Spain, known to have the worst price-performance internet in Europe, at least what I've read. But I must say that my calls do not get the delays that I've had using Skype!

My conclusion from these tests is that there seems to be some interference between voxalot and voipcheap, but I seem to be the only one having the problem, which is a good point of course.
Unread 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
staffan

Further on this subject: more tests have revealed that I'm getting the bad quality sound only when I specify eu.voxalot.com in either the ATA or X-lite. If I use us.voxalot.com or au.voxalot.com the sound is crisp and clear. As I've used the echo test *600 it rules out that voipcheap is to blame, doesn't it? The only advantage for me using eu.voxalot.com seems to be that the latency is slightly shorter than for us, whilst au gives almost as good quality as us but much longer latency, which is expected. So Martin, is there something wrong with eu.voxalot.com? Anyone who can confirm these findings?
Unread 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Very strange. After reading your post we initiated an echo test here from Australia to the EU server for a few mins and the audio was crystal clear.

We are interested in getting to the bottom of this and would like to know if others are having audio problems with the EU server using the echo test.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
staffan

I forgot to clarify that what gets distorted is the female voice that I hear when I dial *600. The echo test itself doesn't reveal much as I just hear myself. But I get the same distorted sound when I hear the other person during a real phone call over eu, whilst the other person says that the sound is good, regardless of eu, us, or au. I hope this helps.