Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
morphix

morphix is on a distinguished road
Default VSP + Voxalot + Codecs Support

Hi,

I have a question that i cannot seem to find anywhere on the forums nor via the website.

I am wanting to know if the following is possible.

I am wanting to have a VSP setup with Voxalot that supports g729 and alaw/ulaw only.

Since the internet connection i will be using is 3G/3.5G (UMTS/HSDPA) wireless service, it appears iLBC codec is the best suited to use.

I am wanting to use a softclient or ata that supports iLBC and use my Voxalot account.

I am not sure if this is possible, as i am simply wanting to use Voxalot to be able to use iLBC codec on non-iLBC codec supported providers.

Will this work as intended?
morphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
xenek

xenek is on a distinguished road

I don't know about voxalot, so this reply is probably pointless. But...

I sometimes use the virbiage soft phone (firefly) with Maxotel, using only an ilbc codec. Works great over low bandwidth connections (tested using 3g with an old blue bigpond usb nextg turbo modem, bp3-usb, in Taiwan with a Chunghwa 3g sim card). Bit of lag (for many reasons) but functional.
Not functional enough for everyday business use, but perfectly fine for home ph calls, friends, etc.

My guess is, that if you configure the voxalot service to proxy the sip traffic then voxalot MUST support the codec.

If you configure voxalot only as a 'sip tcp traffic manager' then maybe they don't need to support the codec. (set symmetric nat handling to NO, set optimize audio path to YES). Hopefully someone from Voxalot can give a better answer.

Right now, the brisbane server is down, so if your testing it, check on ozvoipstatus.com before giving up.
xenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
majo

majo is on a distinguished road
Default voxalot support g729

Hi Morphix,
I am using voxalot with a VSP that support only g729. So I can confirm that voxalot works with provider that suport g729. When you add the VSP remove other codecs and leave only g729 codec in codecs entry field. Also select optimized audio path to No, so audio will be proxied through voxalot ie. Voxalot will talk with provider with g729 & you talk with voxalot with your preferred codec like iLBC or xlaw.

Regards.

majo
majo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
morphix

morphix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by majo View Post
with a VSP that support only g729. So I can confirm that voxalot works with provider that suport g729. When you add the VSP remove other codecs and leave only g729 codec in codecs entry field. Also select optimized audio path to No, so audio will be proxied through voxalot ie. Voxalot will talk with provider with g729 & you talk with voxalot with your preferred codec like iLBC or xlaw.
majo
Thanks, that actually appeared to work as intended.
morphix is offline   Reply With Quote