Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 11-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
punjabi

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Default Unable to call SIP URI using Web Callback

Voxalot is no doubt a hugely useful service. You are no longer tied to the ATA but it still needs improvements in certain areas.

I have been using web callback and have been noticing that there is no way to call SIP URI using the web callback. Only numbers are allowed. This seems fine with SIP providers that do provide numerical usernames but you are out of luck if there is a provider that does not provide numerical usernames such as Wengo.

Is there any chance that Voxalot can provide full support to call SIP URI's via their web callback module? I am sure this feature is inevitable in the long run but was wondering if this is being considered in the short run?
punjabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

For the present, you are correct that there is no way to make web callback do what you want.

I think the proper "fix" to this issue, is for us to add in "SIP URI dialing" to web callback as a pre-defined "provider", in the same way that "SIP Broker" and "VoXaLot" are already pre-defined. However, if/when you pick the "SIP URI" provider, you would actually enter the full SIP URI as your "number". However, I don't have an ETA for when we might get that "fix" in place.

A quicker fix, would be for us to simply remove the "number check" that is currently on the "number" field (of web callback), thereby allowing any characters (not just ones that can be entered from a phone) to be "dialed". If we did that, you could dial SIP URIs by entering as your "number" the part of the SIP URI before the @ and defining a "provider" for the part of the SIP URI after the @. Still not as friendly as the "SIP URI dialing" option, but at least you could reach where you wanted to. Again, I don't have an ETA for you, but I will check with the other developers.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
punjabi

punjabi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input Dracofelis. As an end user, as long as a fix can be implemented, I would be happy with either one of the proposed solutions. For the sake of simplicity and ease of use, I think the first fix is more appropriate.

For the people are trying to dial SIP URI's like me, there is a way to do that and which is what I am using. Just choose any SIP provider which allows you to forward the incoming calls like FWD, Gizmo Project, or Free Digits. Free Digits is better because it provides you a virtual US phone number, allows you set forwarding to 2 SIP URI's and any changes you make to "forwarding" are implemented immediately as compared to FWD which takes hours for the changes to take effect. Just set the forwarding to SIP URI that you want your calls to go to and then through the web call module of Voxalot, just call the providers numerical username/ID.

Another option is to register your landline/mobile phone number with e164.org and then call that number by selecting either Sipbroker or Voxalot provider through the web callback module. Your call be forwarded to SIP URI that you have set because both Sipbroker and Voxalot has full support e164.org lookups.

Thanks again Dracofelis. I will eagerly await the full implementation of SIP URI dialing.
punjabi is offline   Reply With Quote