Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 01-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
jdstroy

jdstroy is on a distinguished road
Default Symmetric NAT handling issues

Hi all,

AOL's AIM Phoneline stopped working as of this year, so it looks like I'm back to using Voxalot again, since Voxalot is one of the few providers with Symmetric NAT handling / RTP relays.

Only... I can't get Voxalot's RTP relay to work reliably.

I've followed the guides posted, and my settings are configured to use Symmetric NAT handling.

Can anyone help me out here? I can provide diagnostic logs, traces, and everything else as needed. I have used Xlite, SJPhone, Phoner, PhonerLite, and probably a dozen other VoIP softphones, and all of them experience the same issue.

I also have a secondary location that is behind a "Full Cone" NAT. This location does not require the RTP relay, and all SIP clients work properly with and without the relay there. I've considered running my own relay from there; however, the machines at this location are shared-use, and they cannot run background processes for extended durations.

Thanks in advance!

J
jdstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

I recall having this discussion before....

Have you tried entering an outbound server ( us.voxalot.com or even try us.voxalot.com : port) on top of the normal registration proxy....

I don't know that it'll make a difference, but I remember it solving an issue with audio when using non-conventional ports (pretty much anything except 5060)

Last edited by emoci; 01-20-2009 at 03:42 AM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
jdstroy

jdstroy is on a distinguished road

Hi emoci,

Yes, indeed. Hello again!

Yes, I've entered us.voxalot.com as outbound, and I'm trying us.voxalot.com:443 right now. Naturally, us.voxalot.com is also entered into the registration domain field.

I'll see what I can find by using an alternate port, thanks!

J
jdstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

See my post here. If your SIP client has a setting to manually set the external IP address (for use in SIP/SDP packets) it would be worth a try to set that to Voxalot's RTP proxy which is 64.34.173.199.

I am not sure if Voxalot is already trying to do this, but it seems to me that when a user sets Symmetric NAT Handling to 'Yes' Voxalot should look into SIP packets coming from the user, find all instances of user's LAN and public IP addresses, and replace them with the appropriate Voxalot IP address.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote