Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 06-02-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
pmerrill

pmerrill is on a distinguished road
Default DID Provider in Australia?

I'm starting to get a little hassled with my DID. At this point I have a free DID from AstraTEL but they have just raised their rates from 10c in Australia to 19.9c per call (obviously, the profit margin was not good enough). So, I may not continue to use them and, if I switch, I'll loose my DID.

I was wondering whether I could purchase a DID "once off", keep it forever and re-route it to one of my providers, in this case Voxalot. So what I'd end up with is one DID that is MINE, routed to my Voxalot account and then a number of VSPs that I use to route outgoing calls to via my Voxalot dialplans.

Does anyone know of someone in Australia selling DIDs that are NOT linked to a VSP but can be routed anywhere.
pmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
xcaliba

xcaliba is on a distinguished road

BBPGlobal say they can route their DID to any sip address and I think from memory it was $50 year. Not sure on the reliability though as I have heard varied things about the outgoing but nothing about their DID.
xcaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
pmerrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliba
BBPGlobal say they can route their DID to any sip address and I think from memory it was $50 year. Not sure on the reliability though as I have heard varied things about the outgoing but nothing about their DID.
I'll check it out. What I'm trying to avoid is getting a DID from a VSP, having it for awhile and then finding that the VSP goes under and poof goes my DID and I have to change my phone number ALL over again. I have cut the apron strings from Optus so I ONLY have a DID now and I want one that I can pretty much keep for life. Long live VoIP!
Unread 06-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerrill
I have a free DID from AstraTEL but they have just raised their rates from 10c in Australia to 19.9c per call (obviously, the profit margin was not good enough). So, I may not continue to use them and, if I switch, I'll loose my DID.
OMG, that is amazingly expensive! If other providers do the same thing, then VoIP will not be near as cheap to operate. Always thought NodePhone was very expensive at 18c per call.

Also, Astratel has been reported as having silent call issues for about a year too! It doesn't sound at all good for Astratel.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
xcaliba

xcaliba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerrill
I'll check it out. What I'm trying to avoid is getting a DID from a VSP, having it for awhile and then finding that the VSP goes under and poof goes my DID and I have to change my phone number ALL over again. I have cut the apron strings from Optus so I ONLY have a DID now and I want one that I can pretty much keep for life. Long live VoIP!
For a DID to point to a sip address I think you need to go with a VSP. You could have a look at one of the vsp that support porting (koala/gotalk) as they should port both ways. So if they go under you could port the number away from them.
xcaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
pmerrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity
OMG, that is amazingly expensive! If other providers do the same thing, then VoIP will not be near as cheap to operate. Always thought NodePhone was very expensive at 18c per call.

Also, Astratel has been reported as having silent call issues for about a year too! It doesn't sound at all good for Astratel.
It is quite expensive (compaiable to Optus) but still worth quite a bit to me. We both work, make very few phone calls from home and when we do we're typically calling family in WA or VIC. So, the net result for us is that we loose a $25 per month connection fee from Optus and have to pay for about 20 local calls a month $4 (use to be $2), so I'm still way ahead. I'm going to stay with AstralTEL for a while (free DID saves me about $5 per month) in the hope that the quality gets better as some people leave the fold. Let's just hope they do not go under.

Not that we make international calls but 19.9c also pays for a one hour phone call to 22 countries. That's pretty cheap compared to the rest isn't it?
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

Voxbone offers good quality DIDs that you map to any SIP address you want in your account portal (I map mine to usernumber@voxalot.com but I can change it any time and the routing change takes effect immediately). You pay by the month but you can keep it as long as the company is around and always point it to your latest SIP address or use a SIP Broker alias with a Dynamic IP address service to bypass providers entirely. Their price is $11.00 USD setup and a flat $12.50 USD/month thereafter (charged on the 1st day of the month) with unlimited incoming on two channels.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
pmerrill

Yeh, I know about them at $12.50 USD ($AUD 16.65) per month, I might as well go back to Optus, they now have a $19.95 plan per month. I'm looking for something cheaper.