Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 11-14-2006, 06:19 AM   #1
MrHatken

MrHatken is on a distinguished road
Default Provider with Outbound Proxy?

Hello All,

Do we use the Advanced > Host field for the Outbound Proxy if that is needed by our provider (and different from SIP Proxy)?

Is the Port field then the port for the Outbound Proxy (which may be different from 5060) or the SIP Proxy?

The description in the tutorial for adding a provider seems a bit "out-of-date" with regards to the fields presently in that form.

Finally, may I suggest the Host field maximum text size be increased, it seems quite small (although, of course, one could use an IP address).

Thanks,
Ashley.
MrHatken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #2

441516 is on a distinguished road

MrHatken, Try enabling stun on your ATA/Phone wich should work same as having outbound proxy.
441516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
MrHatken

Thank you for your post 441516,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 441516 View Post
MrHatken, Try enabling stun on your ATA/Phone wich should work same as having outbound proxy.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is that easy. My ATA/Phone works fine with Voxalot and other providers through Voxalot except one that requires the specification of the provider's outbound proxy when registering.

I believe this is a limitation of the Voxalot provider registration, i.e. that it does not allow for these "special requirements" (e.g. outbound proxy) that some providers detail for their services.

I can register Voxalot with this provider but because of the lack of the outbound proxy I only get audio one way. If I register my ATA directly with this provider I can get audio both ways.

If I am wrong, though, someone please correct me.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Ashley.
Unread 11-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

MrHatken,

You are correct, there is no provision for an outbound proxy to be defined within VoXaLot.

We considered adding it to the "Advanced Setup" but decided to hold off on this change.

I will make a note to discuss with the rest of the team.

Thanks

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
MrHatken

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
MrHatken,
You are correct, there is no provision for an outbound proxy to be defined within VoXaLot.
Hello Martin,

Thank you for the confirmation of that point. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks also for the great service - I hope something big comes out of it for the company.

Cheers,
Ashley.
Unread 11-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
muzzza

muzzza is on a distinguished road
Default outbound proxy?

is this still the case - no out-bound proxy even in advanced mode?

what's the differance between 'from domain' & 'host' in the advanced setup?

M
muzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
MrHatken

Hello Muzzza (et al.),

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzza View Post
is this still the case - no out-bound proxy even in advanced mode?

what's the differance between 'from domain' & 'host' in the advanced setup?

M
I'm only guessing, but in case no-one else answers this might help you.

I think "from domain" may be the equivalent of "domain/realm" which ones sees in X-lite softphone and elsewhere. I guess it is supposed to be a domain (e.g. sipme.com.au) from which the voip can determine use standard names to determine (or check for hosts).

Strange thing is, most of the examples I see for setting this, seem to set a machine name (e.g. sip.sipme.com.au) rather than a domain.

I think "host" in the advanced setup is equivalent to the "SIP Proxy" which one sees in X-lite softphone and elsewhere. This being, I believe, the name of the machine to be used for SIP in and out (by default) if it is not the standard name and cannot be determined from the "domain/realm."

Now, some voip providers require a different inbound machine and outbound machine. I guess if these were standard they could be worked out from just the domain/realm. However, if they are not then one would need to specify inbound host and outbound host (or similar).

Someone please correct me if that understanding is wrong.

As Martin said, and I don't believe it has changed, Voxalot is not yet setup to handle a different outbound host (well, at least if the outbound host cannot be determined just by using the domain/realm and some standard agreed name).

I would think that adding an "outbound host" field wouldn't be too difficult at all, but then I don't know the workings of how Voxalot is setup.

I hope that helps but take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Ashley
Unread 11-24-2006, 05:08 AM   #8
muzzza

muzzza is on a distinguished road

Thanks MrHatken

That doesn't really make a lot of sense to have 2 fields doing the same thing (sip domain) in an advanced setup.

I hope they (programmers) can change the "Host" setting to be for outbound & the "from domain" for inbound & outbound if no host field is available.

As I am trying to get Primus to work thru Voxalot, but they have different inbound & outbound IP settings so I guess this won't work for the time being until it can be rectified.

M
muzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
MrHatken

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzza View Post
Thanks MrHatken

That doesn't really make a lot of sense to have 2 fields doing the same thing (sip domain) in an advanced setup.
Yes, if "from domain" works as a host name / SIP prox, it is a bit strange.

Quote:

I hope they (programmers) can change the "Host" setting to be for outbound & the "from domain" for inbound & outbound if no host field is available.
Yes, I agree. I think "from domain" should be "SIP Proxy" and advanced should contain "Outbound Proxy (if different than SIP Proxy)".

But I am only guessing, I haven't read the SIP standard.

Quote:

As I am trying to get Primus to work thru Voxalot, but they have different inbound & outbound IP settings so I guess this won't work for the time being until it can be rectified.
Me too, and I guess not.

Cheers,
Ashley.
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
jmstosch

jmstosch is on a distinguished road

If we could configure outbound proxy and possible even a registration time out than voicesticks could work. Any news on Broadvoice - is that provider compatible with voxalot?
jmstosch is offline   Reply With Quote