Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
paulies

paulies is on a distinguished road
Default Pap2-na

Hi there,

Every couple of days my pap2 phone does not ring if I unplug it and 5 secs and plug it back in everything works fine. Sometimes people just can get hold of me because of this anybody any ideas on how to solve this ?

Thanks Paul
paulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

I would suggest to set the re-registration interval to about 2 minutes, so that if registration is lost the recovery interval will be fairly small.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
paulies

Hi,

I got the PAP2 set to every 60 secs but how many minutes/secs before voxalot updates the registration ?

thanks Paul
Unread 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Voxalot will update the registration the same second the ATA registers. Voxalot keeps registrations for 1 hour (3600 seconds). Ordinarily the ATA should register at 3600 second intervals, however if your public IP address has changed then you will not receive calls until the ATA registers again.

Before trying to solve the problem you should first determine if the problem is caused by a change in your public IP address. This is not likely, but if your IP address is changing frequently that would obviously cause you to miss some inbound calls.

More likely your missed call issue is because the router's ports are not open to the ATA at the time the call comes. If this is the problem the following settings should fix it.

Set 'NAT Keep Alive Intvl' to: 59
Set 'Register Expires' back to 3600.
Set 'NAT Keep Alive Enable' to: yes
Set 'NAT Keep Alive Msg' blank (yes, make the box empty)
Set 'NAT Keep Alive Dest' to: $PROXY

Leaving 'NAT Keep Alive Msg' blank causes a packet to be sent without any message body. A packet without a body is only 60 to 70 bytes. The router keeps ports open based only on what's in the packet header, so the small packet does the job quite well. The small packet does in fact reach the proxy, but it is ignored because it carries no message body.

A good choice for 'NAT Keep Alive Intvl' is 59. This is the number of seconds between sending NAT Keep Alive Packets. Most routers (maybe all routers) remember routes for at least 60 seconds, therefore sending another packet after 59 seconds insures that the SIP port is always open. Many routers remember routes for longer than 60 seconds, often 180 seconds or 300 seconds. In these cases one can set 'NAT Keep Alive Intvl' to 179 or 299 respectively.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
paulies

Hi Boatman,

Thanks for the reply I have set it up as you said and we will see how it goes

Thanks again
Unread 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Just in case the problem is caused by a changing IP address; you may want to make a note of your public IP address. If another service failure occurs, you can then check your public IP address to see if it has changed.

I once had a router that caused my IP address to change at every DHCP renewal. Of course this was a problem for my VoIP services. Eventually I installed another router, now my IP address remains the same for months.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
paulies

Hi Boatman,

IP is not the problem it has stayed the same for the best part of a year now so it barely changes.

Thanks Paul