Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
mstolle

mstolle is on a distinguished road
Default Multiple Presence - not working?

Contrary to several posts I have read in this forum, multiple presence doesn't seem to work for me... I have an ekiga softphone and a Nokia Internet Table (using Telepathy/Sophia SIP stack) registered to Voxalot. Only the most recently registered device receives the call. What am I doing wrong? Why does only one phone ring, not both as some people have indicated in this forum?

Thanks,
Martin
mstolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstolle View Post
Contrary to several posts I have read in this forum, multiple presence doesn't seem to work for me... I have an ekiga softphone and a Nokia Internet Table (using Telepathy/Sophia SIP stack) registered to Voxalot. Only the most recently registered device receives the call. What am I doing wrong? Why does only one phone ring, not both as some people have indicated in this forum?

Thanks,
Martin
Any chance these are running behind the same NAT (meaning behind same Internet Connection, such that the Outside IP for the computer running Ekiga and the Nokia Internet Table is the same)

This is the sort of problem that would be created when both devices are behind the same NAT...

A possible solution (I say possible because routing behaviour is a bit hard to predict in this case) is to use let's say port 5060 for Ekiga and port 443 for the Nokia table....then make sure your router is set to forward traffic in those ports to the appropriate device.....
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
mstolle

mstolle is on a distinguished road

I performed this test with both devices having public (and separate, of course) IP addresses. As the Nokia is sometimes behind a NAT, the "discover symmetric NAT handling" is enabled on my account - not sure if that causes problems in the case of a public IP address. Is there a way to see the current registrations on the account page? That might help troubleshooting.

Martin
mstolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
jack9901

jack9901 is on a distinguished road

I did a test and noticed the same thing. The server only rings the most recent registration. If the most recent registration is unregistered, the server will ring the second most recent registration...the server actually knows there are multiple registrations and they are on record like a stack. Callcentric works the same way.
jack9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
alex

alex is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with multiple registrations after a while

I have the same problem just with added "strangeness": I have both a Linksys SPA-2102 here at home and an eyeBeam Softphone. These two work flawlessly when registered to the same Voxalot account. However, I now want to add a third (Net::SIP, Perl based) SIP-aware application to the Voxalot account.

When I start the application it registers and everything works fine. When someone calls, the application sees the INVITEs coming in. After a few minutes or so, however, it does not receive any more INVITEs from Voxalot, even when I call my number. eyeBeam and the SPA-2102 still ring. Do you have any idea what the problem could be here?
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
alex

alex is on a distinguished road

Ok, guess I found the problem: The Voxalot registrar stops sending INVITEs after a while (3-5 minutes?) if the SIP client does not send anything in between - for example, eyeBeam sends SUBSCRIBE requests every 3 minutes, which somehow keep the connection "awake". The Perl app was not doing this and so stopped to receive INVITEs.

I am not a SIP expert and so I have no idea whether this is expected behaviour - my idea was that if you REGISTER with a SIP server this registration should receive INVITEs until it expires. This is not what I observed with Voxalot, however: If the expiration time for the REGISTER is set to 3600 seconds, I still don't receive any more INVITEs after 3-5 minutes unless I send a SUBSCRIBE request in-between.
alex is offline   Reply With Quote