Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #21
Tranworld

Tranworld is on a distinguished road
Default DynDNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinko View Post
Unfortunately, her reading was starting with 192.168.1.29 or something like that which told me that she is behind another computer which is behind another router and whole mess that her neighbor made up to provide internet to all his neighbors (so he gets it from provider and then he is subprovider).

The local address of 192.168.1.29 seems OK, it is not an indication that it is behind other computers, 192.168 are private addresses, if you connect a PC on the LAN port of the 3102 you will find that its standard address format ia 192.168.0.xxx

Using port forward settings and this address that she would read for Current IP in format: http://192.168.1.29:9999 I could not get acces.

I presume that you have set the WAN Web server port to YES and the server port to 9999? In any case you will not be able to access the 3102 via that private address. The real IP address is very similar except that it has the ISP class B address of say (example) 58.62.107.234. the last 3 digits may change all the time as the ISP reassign address

Would I by registering on DynDNS I could get info in a format that will help me access remotely?

You will be able to access it using a verbose URL, exactly as how you'd registered with DynDNS for example http://worldbit.homeip.net:9999 no matter what the real IP address is

What and where should I put in SPA-3102 config that lets unit register with DynDNS? How to config SPA-3102 to do that?

Unfortunately I spoke too soon, the 3102 does not seems to have the little script that communicate with DynDNS. I was using my Linksys router to do that. Prior to using DynDNS what I did to get the real IP address is to register one of the line with gizmo, then by login into gizmo and access the advanced feature, it will display the real IP address with the port used, I have mentioned to Voxalot that this is a very useful feature to upgrade to in the future, once they do that then perhaps we don't need gizmo. WhatsmyIP only work from inside the network which requires your sister to use a PC and read it out to you, and every time the IP changes she will have to do that again, gizmo trick allows you not to have to bother your sister, simply login to the gizmo account from where you are to see the real IP address of your sister.

Thanks
Hope it helps
Tranworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 03:16 AM   #22
sinko

sinko is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions. I have everything setup for web remote access on her unit except knowing the real IP. I will try gizmo trick on my unit first to see how it works then I will tell her to open account and register her unit with it.

I am certain that SPA-3102 always shows as the current IP same local address in her case (192.168.1.29), while in my case it is always the dynamic IP address that updates frequently, which I can use to access my unit remotely (since I only have a DSL cable modem usptream of SPA-3102 which assigns addresses that I can use, while she has a few routers and machines upstream of her SPA).

Do you think that even though her neighbor gives her local IP (shown as current IP in SPA-3102), that it also gives her dynamic IP that may be accessible from outside, which GIZMO can uncover?

I assume that she needs to have GIZMO up and running all the time in order for me to uncover her IP every time (if it is dynamic)? Based on my initial observation it appears that GIZMO adds a large footprint on the machine. Is there any other program with small memory footprint that does the same thing?
sinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:09 AM   #23
Tranworld

Default 3102

This means that the IP address was fixed by the neighbour, in your case you muct have set it up so that the DSL modem act as a bridge and your 3102 provide the PPOE signing in, in effect the 3102 is the main router and hence obtain the dynamic address directly from the ISP. In any case this does not have any consequences since you can't change what your neighbour have set up for everyone.

What I mean about Gizmo is that you use one of the line on the 3102 and input the gizmo account credential, exactly as your 3102 is registered with Voxalot, and hence that is another VSP, not running it on the PC. If you don't want to lose a line on the 3102 to Gizmo and can use a PC to run the update then Gizmo is a bit overkill since it is a full featured VoIP client, DynDNS has a lightweight PC client which can download and have running as a background task in your PC, that is a far better solution.

Another solution would be to use an old router that has a client for DynDNS built-in but which you no longer use, for example I have a Linksys BEFSW4 wireless router which is not in use since it can only do 802.11b (10mbps), switch off all the routing and wireless function and plug that into the LAN port of the 3102, then you have a self contained DynDNS client (with 4 additional LAN port into the bargain)
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
sinko

I have signed-up today for DynDNS for my computer and it works perfectly, I can access it from my office without checking my dynamic IP every day before leaving home.

However, before I ask my sister to try and register for DynDNS, I would like to ask knowledgable people on this forum whether DynDNS works even for home network, in which her computer is behind SPA-3102 (not in bridge mode), and SPA-3102 is behind another router, which is behind central router, etc. About a month ago we did "ping" and "trace route" and I posted below the results with last set of digits hidden behind XXX and YYY just to give you an idea of how many steps are between her computer and Primary DNS (first 3 steps are all internal network and it appears to me that last three are external).

tracert 82.117.YYY.XXX
192.168.YY.XXX
10.20.YY.XXX
192.168.7.XXX
82.117.YYY.XXX
82.117.YYY.XXX
dns1.sbb.co.yu 82.117.YYY.XXX

Do you think that with this extensive home network, DynDNS can find the dynamic IP of her computer and track it? Is there a way that even if DynDNS can do it, that her neighbor is blocking remote acces in his routers (which are upstream of SPA-3102) even though I allowed access through SPA-3102 by port forwarding?

Thanks!
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #25
Tranworld

Default DynDNS

I used DynDNS even though my 3102 is behind a router and has the IP range of 192.168.xxx.xxx this is because all the client of DDNS does is to tell DDNS the exact IP address it is coming from, remember that there is only one real IP address and that is the one assigned by the ISP to the main router, that is the only one, the rest are private and stay within the LAN network. Now for you to contact you 3102 you must port forward the specific port to the exclusive use of your 3102, so when you enter the URL http://xxxx.xxx.cc:9999/ DDNS will point that request to the main router (of your neighbour) with the specific port of 9999, when the router receives that incoming request it will forward it to 192.168.2.29 as it has been told to do for everything for 9999 and voila, that's how it works.
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #26
Tranworld

Default Nat

Actually to make it clearer, no matter how many computers are behind that router, it only communicate to the Internet via the main IP address (which seems to be 82.117.xxx.yyy), the router translate all incoming and outgoing packets from the internal garbage to that address (Network Address Translation = NAT). But if your sister PC is going via another NAT which is the 3102 then I have no experience as to whether DDNS would work, on the other hand why doesn't she configure the 3102 as a bridge to avoid that layer of NAT? It will be better for other things too, but it will take another address from the neighbour, I wonder if he allows it.
Unread 03-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #27
sinko

Default Major Problem

I have solved all previous problems by setting STUN settings on my sisters' SPA-3102 and by setting registration interval to 600. It worked fine for ~ a week.

However, I have major problem with my sisters' two accounts now, which I have never experienced before, and I would sincerely appreciate your help.

Could you please check whether both her accounts: 342084 and 782516 are registered and when was the last time that Voxalot accepted registration?

When I call, I get instant message: "Person at extension xxxxxx is unavailable"
When she calls me she does not hear anything (I did not ask her to wait for 27 seconds and see if she gets the same message as I do). This is very strange, since in past whenever I cannot reach her, she was always able to reach me, which was telling me that she had NAT problems with incomign calls but not outgoing, which were solved by setting STUN and 600 sec registration time. But now, she cannot reach me at all and I cannot reach her.

This has started ~30 hours ago when I made last call and was able to talk to her, after that I have only got the same message that she is unavailable but NEITHER SHE NOR I MADE ANY CHANGES TO SPA-3102 or VOXALOT ACCOUNTS. I can call myself (my numbers) from x-lite and everything is fine, but I get the same message that she is unavailable when I call her. It's been more than 30 hours now and I am getting really worried, please help me.

Note: She uses Line 1 on SPA for dialing out through PSTN and receiving calls from PSTN through SPA and this works for her but establishing connection with me over voxalot through web (no PSTN) does not work.

Thanks!

Last edited by sinko; 03-30-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Unread 03-30-2007, 01:58 AM   #28
sinko

Could you please check whether both her accounts: 342084 and 782516 are registered and when was the last time that Voxalot accepted registration?

Please help.
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #29
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinko View Post

Please help.
Can't tell you when they were last registed but can tell you neither account is currently registered.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 03:00 AM   #30
sinko

Thanks a lot for quick reply!

What could be the cause for sudden missed registrations? Maybe her provider stopped allowing traffic through ports 5060 and 5061. How can she check easily on her connection without contacting the provider whether 5060 and 5061 are blocked for traffic and to possibly unblock them?

Any other suggestions?

This is very strange since it happened very suddenly, worked without any problems for ~7 days and then stopped working completely without any changes to her SPA settings (web connection works, PSTN through Line 1 works).

Last edited by sinko; 03-30-2007 at 12:21 PM.