Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 08-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
jamesnp

jamesnp is on a distinguished road
Default No incoming calls - Cisco 7961

Hi all,

I'm new to voxalot but I've had to take the plunge because of problems setting up a Cisco 7961 with another provider.

I've finally mangaged to get the phone to register on voxalot, and I can make calls perfectly. However, no incoming calls are getting through to the phone.

I've confirmed I have the correct details, and voxalot is registering with the other provider. I've set up a catch-all call forward (don't know if this is required), and I have 5060 udp port + the other perscribed ports forwarded on my router.

When I ring my number it does ring, which leads me to believe the call just isn't making it the final step to my phone. I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers,
jp
jamesnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Do you ring your phone from another SIP account on the same network, or using a forwarded DID number, or using a registered DID number ?

If the phone rings when called, it is likely that some of the signals are getting blocked by the firewall or there may be Codec issues.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
jamesnp

Na, the phone doesn't even ring when called... which leads me to believe that I've either set up the forwarding on voxalot incorrectly or that the phone is just ignoring the call.

I'm presuming the call notification would come in on port 5060? In which case that's forwarded correctly.

Just to run through the correct voxalot set up: I have my sip provider active and registered under the VSPs list. Under Call Connection I have one rule, that any inbound number or provider goes to my voxalot number. That should work, aye? I've no firewall and NAT is forwarding udp/5060 and the other rtp ports to the phone.

The thing that makes me think that the phone might be ignoring the call is the following snippet from voip-info: "Username value for SIP contact in registration request. If your SIP username is scott and you have an incoming DID of 15555551212 then your settings may be name=scott, and contact=15555551212 or the phone will ignore incoming SIP invitations (incoming calls)". I'm using my Member Id for both username and contact, should I be using something else with voxalot?

Been busy with work, but I intend to crack out the packet sniffer later on if I can't find an obvious fix. Cheers for your help.

-jp

Last edited by jamesnp; 08-21-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
jamesnp

Ok, I cracked out the packet sniffer and I can confirm that the phone is getting the SIP INVITE for the incoming calls, but it's replying with a 404 Not Found. I'm presuming this has something to do with the username/contact thing that I mentioned above?

-jp

Last edited by jamesnp; 08-21-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Unread 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

The first thig is to check if the phone is registering with Voxalot.
You can check by Logging In to your Voxalot account page. Then go to Account Summary, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on Device Registrations.
http://www.voxalot.com/action/deviceRegistrations

Check if the echo test works (600) and other test calls (Eg *266300)

The next step is to try and establish a call to the phone from another Voip account outside your network or through a SIP Broker access number.

The phone might not be reachable at all or you might be able to reach it but not be able to establish 2-way communications, or it might just work perfectly.

I aso suggest that you set Voice Mail active to No while you are doing these tests as the ringing you might be hearing is just the system waiting for the Voice mail responses to activate.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
jamesnp

Outgoing calls are perfect, it's just incomming.

I think I found the problem. The nat on my router is rewriting the packet and saying the request is for username@192.168.1.144:5060. The phone is expecting the call to be for username@external ip:5060 and is therefore ignoring it. Bit of a pain but nothing I can do about it really. Going to have to set up an asterisk server for it I think.

-jp
Unread 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnp View Post
I think I found the problem. The nat on my router is rewriting the packet and saying the request is for username@192.168.1.144:5060. The phone is expecting the call to be for username@external ip:5060 and is therefore ignoring it.
ALL NAT routers unconditionally translate external IP addresses to internal IP addresses (and vice versa). That's what NAT is (Network Address Translation). The phone got issued the internal IP address of 192.168.1.144 by the router and that's his only IP address. The phone normally doesn't even know what your external IP address is (STUN considerations aside).

You should not need any forwarding rule(s) on Voxalot. In fact, I recommend you delete any you have until you get incoming calls working as they're probably the source of your problem (I've never had any success getting any kind of forwarding to work on Voxalot).
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Another thought...

Make sure your Cisco 7961 is configured to use UDP and not TCP (it's capable of using either). I would also recommend you set the port forwarding in your router to BOTH instead of just UDP or TCP. You can also eliminate your router as a potential source of problems by temporarily connecting your phone directly to your modem. Make sure you reboot your modem and phone after making the direct connection before running any tests.

Last edited by Ron; 08-23-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
jamesnp

In the end I just set up Asterisk locally to tunnel out through nat. Working a treat now.

Cheers,
jp