Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
darrenultra

darrenultra is on a distinguished road
Default No sound on forwarded calls

Hi,

I joined voxalot because i liked it's ability to send all my work calls to voicemail between 17:00 and 9:00. You gotta have a break sometime.

However, I was a bit disappointed when I realised that I couldn't automatically divert calls to my mobile when my softphone is offline (I'm beginning to realise this is a common gripe).

My solution was to forward all my daytime calls from Voxalot to the phone number of one of my SIP providers (Localphone). I then used Localphone's 'Forward when Unavailable' feature to redirect all calls to my mobile when I am offline.

Initially everything seemed to be working beautifully. My softphone rang when it was signed in, and my mobile rang when my softphone was signed out. However, all is not so rosy. When I answer my softphone nothing can be heard at either end. I also noticed that if left unanswered my softphone will terminate ringing after about 15 seconds.
However, when calls are redirected to my mobile both sides of the conversation can be heard without a problem.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happenning ...and perhaps even propose a solution? I will be forever in your debt!

Thanks,
Nick

p.s. i really don't want to buy any hardware (apart from a Nokia E51 Voip phone to replace my softphone when all is running smoothly!)
darrenultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenultra View Post
Hi,

I joined voxalot because i liked it's ability to send all my work calls to voicemail between 17:00 and 9:00. You gotta have a break sometime.

However, I was a bit disappointed when I realised that I couldn't automatically divert calls to my mobile when my softphone is offline (I'm beginning to realise this is a common gripe).

My solution was to forward all my daytime calls from Voxalot to the phone number of one of my SIP providers (Localphone). I then used Localphone's 'Forward when Unavailable' feature to redirect all calls to my mobile when I am offline.

Initially everything seemed to be working beautifully. My softphone rang when it was signed in, and my mobile rang when my softphone was signed out. However, all is not so rosy. When I answer my softphone nothing can be heard at either end. I also noticed that if left unanswered my softphone will terminate ringing after about 15 seconds.
However, when calls are redirected to my mobile both sides of the conversation can be heard without a problem.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happenning ...and perhaps even propose a solution? I will be forever in your debt!

Thanks,
Nick

p.s. i really don't want to buy any hardware (apart from a Nokia E51 Voip phone to replace my softphone when all is running smoothly!)

I assume you are registering your SoftPhone with 'LocalPhone'.

What you need to try is to place a call directly to the number for LocalPhone, do you still have issues with the SoftPhone then?

I realize you need to use LocalPhone for the unavailable feature, but if you register your SoftPhone with VoXalot, what happens with audio then... ?

I am guessing, but this looks like a NAT problem with the computer running the SoftPhone especially since the same VoXalot-LocalPhone route has no issues delivering calls to the cellphone...

If this is a NAT issue though, it should be relatively easy to deal with by opening a few ports in the router....
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
darrenultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
I assume you are registering your SoftPhone with 'LocalPhone'.

What you need to try is to place a call directly to the number for LocalPhone, do you still have issues with the SoftPhone then?

I realize you need to use LocalPhone for the unavailable feature, but if you register your SoftPhone with VoXalot, what happens with audio then... ?

I am guessing, but this looks like a NAT problem with the computer running the SoftPhone especially since the same VoXalot-LocalPhone route has no issues delivering calls to the cellphone...

If this is a NAT issue though, it should be relatively easy to deal with by opening a few ports in the router....

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have my softphone registered with Localphone. I've tried calling the number directly and it works just fine.

However, following your advice I have just tried registering my softphone directly with Voxalot ...and although it rings again there is no audio. I had always assumed that where there was a ringtone I would be able to get the audio, but now I see that this is not always the case.

I have never needed to open ports for any applications before. Any advice on this matter would be very helpful. Is there a particular port or range of ports that I need to open?

Also, if I was using a Nokia VOIP phone instead of my computer softphone would I be experiencing the same problem?

(I would just like to clarify that the calls forwarded to, and received by my mobile were of the gsm type. My current mobile is not VOIP enabled.)

Many Thanks,
Nick
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
darrenultra

ok you should probably ignore my last post.

After re-testing localphone i've found that calls made from the softphone to a landline work (audio both ways), whereas calls made from a landline to the softphone don't (the softphone rings but there is no audio).

I've also discovered that calls made to voxalot result in no audio. These voxalot calls originate from a different Locahost number.

...and now i've discovered that calls made from voxalot ring out but have no audio.

I'm gonna have to experiment some more then get back to you. Right now though i'm gonna get some sleep.
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenultra View Post
ok you should probably ignore my last post.

After re-testing localphone i've found that calls made from the softphone to a landline work (audio both ways), whereas calls made from a landline to the softphone don't (the softphone rings but there is no audio).

I've also discovered that calls made to voxalot result in no audio. These voxalot calls originate from a different Locahost number.

...and now i've discovered that calls made from voxalot ring out but have no audio.

I'm gonna have to experiment some more then get back to you. Right now though i'm gonna get some sleep.

When you have a chance take a look at this: http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...e-quality.html

See if going through the steps helps...

BTW, what's the SoftPhone that you are using?
Secondly what router are you using?
Finally try calling VoXalot from a landline (provided there is a SipBroker Access number that's local to you SIPBroker - PSTN Numbers ...dial *010<Your VoXalot Number> at the prompt. )
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote