Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
g00fy

g00fy is on a distinguished road
Default Hardphone won't ring, softphone will

I have this odd situation:

I have X-lite on my PDA and on my desktop PC. Also I connect with Voxalot via a Zyxel 2602 modem.

When I make a call to my own Voxalot number from my Desktop the PDA and phone connected to the Zyxel are ringing. When I call from the phone both softphones are ringing also. But when I call from the PDA softphone, only the Desktop softphone is ringing. When I close the Desktop softphone, I get a 408 error on the PDA.

I tried everything, but not succeeded to initiate a call from the PDA to the Phone. So, I am wondering what can be wrong and also am very confused that the PDA softphone can call the Desktop, but not the Zyxel.

BTW. Calls to other numbers (for instance *600) will get connected to the phone, it seems only impossible to call myself.
g00fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00fy View Post
I have this odd situation:

I have X-lite on my PDA and on my desktop PC. Also I connect with Voxalot via a Zyxel 2602 modem.

When I make a call to my own Voxalot number from my Desktop the PDA and phone connected to the Zyxel are ringing. When I call from the phone both softphones are ringing also. But when I call from the PDA softphone, only the Desktop softphone is ringing. When I close the Desktop softphone, I get a 408 error on the PDA.

I tried everything, but not succeeded to initiate a call from the PDA to the Phone. So, I am wondering what can be wrong and also am very confused that the PDA softphone can call the Desktop, but not the Zyxel.

BTW. Calls to other numbers (for instance *600) will get connected to the phone, it seems only impossible to call myself.
Is the account setup in the PDA doing the calling, the same as the account set up on the computer receiving the calls?

There has been some issues reported with multiple registrations behind the same NAT acting out.

What I'd test first:
Grab a phone outside of this loop, call a SipBroker access number and dial *010123456 (replace 123456 with your VoXalot number). Do all three destinations ring?
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
g00fy

Thanks for thinking with me emoci!

All accounts are setup with the same information. I can make calls with the PDA without a problem, except for my own number at Voxalot.
Tried today from work, so I was outside my own network and was getting the same error 408 (temporarily unavailable).

Calling from a SipBroker access number let's all phones ring.

Desktop -> Home = working
Desktop -> PDA = working
Home -> Desktop = working
Home -> PDA = working
PDA -> Desktop = working
PDA -> Home = NOT WORKING
Sipbroker -> all = working

Seems somehow the zyxel modem is not reacting on incoming calls from the PDA, but why?
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

See the problem is this... under normal conditions VoXalot acct. 123456 should not be able to use itself in order to call itself (you see my point). At least the service was not set up that way....

You're gonna say: "But it works with the other devices"

Here's what I suspect:
-Each device refreshes its registration with the server at different times. The latest device to refresh becomes the primary device.
-It seems like your Desktop has the lowest refresh rate

So I suspect your devices line up as follows in terms of refresh rates:
-Desktop
-PDA
-ATA

-So what's happening is:

Computer calls>>Ring Primary Device(Desktop)>> (Trigger ringing to other devices)

PDA Calls>> Ring Primary device (Desktop)>>Trigger ringing to second device(PDA): Error Cannot call self, therefore does not attempt third device

When Desktop not available:
PDA Calls>> Ring Primary device (PDA): Error- Cannot call myself

This is my interpretation from my understanding on how VoXalot works ... (although under that thinking your desktop should show problems too... )

All in all though, VoXalot was not meant to call one acct. using that same acct.

Last edited by emoci; 12-12-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
g00fy

Strange, because when I call with the desktop softphone I have the outgoing call coming in at line 2. At that moment I see the desktop softphone as registered in my details under Registrations. So it seems possible to call yourself.

But, on the other hand, it seems you are right, because it is not working from the PDA softphone.

So, only solution would be to open another Voxalot account. Would that be legal, or is one only entitled to have one account?

Oh, I saw I wrote the error code wrong. It's not error 408 I'm getting, but error 480... sorry.
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
emoci

Quote:
Strange, because when I call with the desktop softphone I have the outgoing call coming in at line 2. At that moment I see the desktop softphone as registered in my details under Registrations. So it seems possible to call yourself.

But, on the other hand, it seems you are right, because it is not working from the PDA softphone.

So, only solution would be to open another Voxalot account. Would that be legal, or is one only entitled to have one account?

Oh, I saw I wrote the error code wrong. It's not error 408 I'm getting, but error 480... sorry.

No limitations on how many accts you can have...

PS. Does the PDA softphone also have a line 2 available (I suspect a second available free line that can ring is what's rescuing the desktop)... from what I can find 480:'Account is Temporarily Unavailable' whereas 408: 'Request Timeout'
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
g00fy

Thanx again emoci.

I will see of it is worth it to open an extra account, for I will only use it to call home when I'm abroad for work (one or two times a year). It would have be nice to getting it to work, though.

Softphone on the PDA has also 2 lines. Tried both with the same results. On the PDA I use X-Pro (seems the only one working with WM6) and X-lite on the desktop.
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
g00fy

All this was about to call home when I am abroad. As my home phonenumber is forwarded to my Voxalot number by e164.org, this seems not to work as expected, because that means I am calling my own number.

Now I was thinking about another possibility. In my Dial Plan I setup an entry with priority 1 with my home phonenumber as the pattern and forward it explicit to that number via for instance Voipcheap.
So, if my home phonenumber is 00 31 33 12345 I configure a pattern as _.12345 and the replacement is 00313312345. Off course I won't do a enum-lookup.
Unfortunately this is not working. Whe I call 12345 the test says the number will still be forwarded to my Voxalot number.

Can the wildcard only be at the end of the pattern or is there another possibility?

Last edited by g00fy; 12-12-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Unread 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
emoci

Quote:
All this was about to call home when I am abroad. As my home phonenumber is forwarded to my Voxalot number by e164.org, this seems not to work as expected, because that means I am calling my own number.

Now I was thinking about another possibility. In my Dial Plan I setup an entry with priority 1 with my home phonenumber as the pattern and forward it explicit to that number via for instance Voipcheap.
So, if my home phonenumber is 00 31 33 12345 I configure a pattern as _.12345 and the replacement is 00313312345. Off course I won't do a enum-lookup.
Unfortunately this is not working. Whe I call 12345 the test says the number will still be forwarded to my Voxalot number.

Can the wildcard only be at the end of the pattern or is there another possibility?
Set pattern as: _12345.
Replacement: 00313312345
Provider: VoipCheap
Unread 12-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
g00fy

Of course! I thought it would be nice when a call to 12345 or 03312345 or 00313312345 would call home. But that isn't necessary at all. I only need to call the local number...

This is working great, so.. Thank you again!