Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 11-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
patrickdepinguin

patrickdepinguin is on a distinguished road
Default How to setup dial plan for ISN/Freenum support

Hi,

I would like to be able to call ISN (Itad Subscriber Numbers) through voxalot.
ISN numbers are of the form 1234*567, analog to user@domain.
567 is a number assigned to an organization, and 1234 is the user you are dialing.

This page: ISN Cookbook describes how to setup outbound calling to ISN numbers.
However, I'm not able to set it up through voxalot.

Basically, three methods are described:
* Native ISN Lookup: I guess this is not possible through voxalot
* Using the Freenum SIP Redirector: Here you need to send an invite message to the number you call @public.freenum.org, e.g. 1234*567@public.freenum.org . This server will send a redirection message back to the real SIP uri.
* Resolve Freenum/ISN Through Private ENUM: This is an option I don't really understand, and don't know if it's possible on voxalot.

I tried using option 2, by setting up a Voice Service Provider for freenum in Voxalot. However, since there are no account settings for freenum.org, I put 'test' as username and password.
I added a dialplan setting with pattern
_X.*X.
to be replaced by
${EXTEN}
using the freenum server.

However, this does not seem to work, and I'm getting a "602 declined" SIP message back.

When I use a Speeddial to directly call to 1234*567@public.freenum.org, it does work, and I do get the redirection message.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks, Thomas

Last edited by emoci; 11-06-2008 at 03:39 AM.
patrickdepinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

It seems that ISN is already supported via SipBroker under SipCode *8319

So dialing *8319-613*262 you would reach FWDs Echo Test for example.

If you don't mind doing it this way, you do not need to set up any sort of Dial Plan specifically for this in VoXalot, but your ATA has to have a string along the lines of [x*][x*]. (to support dialing that * in the middle of an otherwise digit-based string)

On the other hand, what you were trying to do would work best if set up as follows:

Pattern: _xxxx*x.
Replace: *8319{Exten}
Provider: SipBroker

There is one catch to this however (that's not a problem if you use the SipBroker form directly), you can only dial numbers of the form 1234*123, you would not be able to dial numbers of the form 123*123 (unfortunately an expression like _[x*][x*] is not supported in the VoXalot pattern line )
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
patrickdepinguin

patrickdepinguin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply.
If I try with *8139613*262 directly, it does work. I get the echo test.

However, if I try with the dial plan you suggested (with XXX*X. iso XXXX*X.),
I get the declined message again.

I don't understand. The dialplan seems correct: the dial plan test indicates the correct replacement, and routing through Sip broker.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Thomas
patrickdepinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
It seems that ISN is already supported via SipBroker under SipCode *8319
You are forgetting that because ISN/ITED is actually a whole network (in much the same way as SIP Broker itself is), we assigned a special 3-digit SIP code to it quite some time (a couple of years?) ago. Specifically, the original/main SIP Broker code for this service is: *012

Edit/Addition:
If you read the info on the ISN/ITED site, they actually talk about setting up your PBX using a "trunk code" before dialing. They suggested 012, which is probably why SIP Broker (which starts all of their codes with the *-key) chose to use the "SIP Code" (SIP Broker's equivalent of a PBX "Trunk Code") of *012 for accessing their service.

Quote:
So dialing *8319-613*262 you would reach FWDs Echo Test for example.
Try dialing *012613*262 (i.e. use the "official" *012 code) and you get the same result (FWD's echo test).

Quote:
On the other hand, what you were trying to do would work best if set up as follows:

Replace: *8319{Exten}
The problem with that idea, is that ISN dialing is in the format: extension * service @freenum.org

And since the "extension" tends to always be the "variable" part (because it depends upon how each service/provider chooses to setup their numbering/dialing scheme), you can't count on it being exactly 4 digits before the *-key.

Which I think means that the only practical way to handle ISN dialing (from within VoXaLot), is to use some "prefix" (similar to what ISN docs call the "Truck Code") that you have to dial to force the call to use ISN routing. But if you are going to dial a prefix anyway, why not just use the existing SIP Broker prefix *012, resulting in just normal SIP Broker dialing for this "provider" (which, like SIP Broker, is really a gateway service to other providers)?

NOTE: If you only have a few "numbers" you call via the ISN/ITAD service, you could easily set them up as "speed dials" in VoXaLot. However, for general purpose use of that service, I would think the simplest way would be just to directly do the SIP Broker *012 code before the normal ISN/ITAD extension*service dialing.

Edit/Addition:
The ISN/ITAD service ( ISN Trial Home Page ) is really a pretty interesting service. And in many ways it is trying to do the same thing "SIP Broker" is doing (albeit with a different "standard" for how you dial). And while their provider list ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/trip-parameters/ ) has some overlap with SIP Broker's List ( SIPBroker - Provider White Pages ) there are a number of providers (including some major Universities) that are available as free calls on their list but not directly on SIP Broker's list (but you can still use SIP Broker code *012 to indirectly route to an ISN/ITAD proxy, and thereby call numbers reachable via ISN/ITAD).

OTOH one problem I find with ISN/ITAD isn't the service per se, it's that lack of info on the providers. If you look over the provider list for their service, they don't provide any web links to a page describing what the "extensions" look like for any given ISN provider. So unless you already happen to know how say MIT maps their "extensions" into dial-in numbers (for example, do they use the last 5 digits of the POTS number, as some Universities do?), how would you even know what "extension" to dial via ISN/ITAD to reach the proper person/department at that University?

i.e. it would really be helpful if the ISN/ITAD list also had a link (for each provider) identifying how you dial to the provider.

NOTE: The *012 SIP Broker code has (as of the time of this writing) a red x by it. Normally this would mean that the provider is blocking inbound calls. However, in this case it appears to be a "false alarm" as the the *012 really does work (I just tested it). i.e. You really can do ISN dialing (via SIP Broker, or VoXaLot) by just dialing: *012 extension * ITAD (where "extension" is the "number" at that location, and ITAD is their ITAD provider number).

Last edited by DracoFelis; 11-07-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Added additional info:
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

I would also suggest going with DracoFelis' suggestion above...

Although I suggested:

Replace: *8319${Exten}

I tested that form as well as:

Pattern: _xxx*x.
Replace: *8319${Exten}

And unfortunately it doesn't seem to work properly (it comes up busy)... however using *8319 or *012 works reliably everytime

Last edited by emoci; 11-08-2008 at 01:10 AM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
goondu

goondu is on a distinguished road

Are these freenum numbers still valid?

613*262 Free World Dialup echo test.
1234*256 John's annoying screaming monkeys, followed by an echo test.

I had tried calling *012613*262 and *8319613*262 via sipbroker, however both are invalid.

I had tried calling *0121234*256 and *83191234*256 via sipbroker, both are invalid too.

Last edited by goondu; 11-05-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: to fix my typing mistake
goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
goondu

goondu is on a distinguished road

Can someone please tell me if the isn number still working? I signed up for premium member, but I don't get to receive any help from my query?
goondu is offline   Reply With Quote